3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 8:02 AM by A.T. Romano

Link to media assets is lost every time I open project.

rvrkids

Please help.  Using Premiere Elements 12.

I created a project several weeks ago and have been working on it and adding to it as I go.  It contains photos and videos and mp3.   No problems until today.   I opened the project and had to re-connect every one of my project assets....none of them had been moved.   I re-connected and re-saved project.   Then closed elements and re-opened and all connections were lost again.   It keeps doing this and I don't know why it started all of a sudden.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Link to media assets is lost every time I open project.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rvrkids

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Update. Please do so if you have not already.

If you are sure that you have not moved, deleted, or renamed files and folders that were imported into these projects after the projects were saved closed, then look to the place where you store the source media. Is it an external hard drive formatted NTFS? If that is the source media storage place, please determine if the drive letter of the drive is changing or the drive is malfunctioning in some other ways. Do a mini test run with a new project and its project media stored on Local Disk C location and determine if you get the same missing media issue.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Link to media assets is lost every time I open project.
            rvrkids Level 1

Thanks ATR-

I'm on windows 8.1 and my elements is up to date.  None of my files are on an external drive, they are on the C drive in one folder.  I have been using different versions of elements for many years and have never run into this problem.

Several times I have re-connected the assets, saved and closed the file, then re-opened (all in the same sitting) and they are disconnected again.  Please note that I considered a virus but I am not having any other problems at all and my system is protected and regular scans/checks are always performed.

When I get home from work today I am going to try to save my project as a different file and see if that makes a difference.   Other than that I have no other ideas.

• 3. Re: Link to media assets is lost every time I open project.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

rvrkids

Thanks for the follow up.

You wrote

I am going to try to save my project as a different file and see if that makes a difference.

I am assuming that you are going to change the file name that goes with the .prel file extension.

a. File Menu/Save As

or

b. File Menu/Save A Copy

You may want to look at both.

But, I suspect the issue may go deeper.

Where on the Local Disk C have you been storing your projects' source media and the project file (.prel)? How much installed and available RAM as well as free hard drive space does your computer have at this time? Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Please consider

1. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, deletion of the 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. And, as mentioned, if that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. If "1" doe not work, then uninstall/reinstall

a. Uninstall the usual Control Panel route

b. Free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - Download

c. Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled

d. Download and install of 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR