3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 3:53 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign file crashing and damaging file...even the backup file.

NezzDog

Of course in times of deadline but I have a lengthy 20 something page document that continually crashes and then gives me a damaged error but attempting to recover just crashes InDesign. I have tried recreating a couple times thinking maybe something corrupt in the doc but even the back up file is corrupt now! UGH! HELP!!!

• 1. Re: InDesign file crashing and damaging file...even the backup file.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hard to tell what you mean by the backup file is corrupt.

It's possible that only the recovery data is bad, and if you empty the (hidden by default) InDesign Recovery folder you will be able to start ID without auto-recovery, then use File > Open... to navigate to and open the last saved version of the file.

If a backup file is also misbehaving it  may be that it already had a problem, or else there is something not specifically file-related that is the problem, a plugin conflict, or a bad font are two common errors. Without more information, though, it's impossible to say. What version of ID? Which OS? Do you have the latest patch installed for your version?

If yo are a Mac user you likely have a crash report associated with this. If so, post it on pastebin.com and give us a link to it here and we might be able to narrow things down.

• 2. Re: InDesign file crashing and damaging file...even the backup file.
            NezzDog Level 1

I am using InDesign CC on a PC. I was having some problems with the file earlier in the day so I started over and went through each listing and photo and replaced as I went along. I saved a backup and then closed the back up. When the new file crashed and was unrecoverable, I tried to open the back up(which had not been touched). I was unable to open that one either. I have tried to open it without recovery, rebooted, etc. Not sure what to do...Are there crash reports for PC?

• 3. Re: InDesign file crashing and damaging file...even the backup file.
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No helpful crash reports from Windows, I'm afraid.

Did you empty the recovery folder before relaunching ID and trying to open either the crashed file or the backup? If you don't do that and the recovery data is corrupt ID will just go right on crashing as soon as it opens.