3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 12:31 PM by chadg2029

Publish Service (to hard drive), new computer different user foldername

Becksnyc

I successfully migrated all my lightroom data to a new computer, EXCEPT my Publish Service.  I have an extensive set of smart albums set up to publish to Dropbox & sync to my tablet & phone.

Since my new computer has a different name, Lightroom

thinks the folder is missing and will not publish.

Changing the name of the user folder (C:\Users\*username*\Dropbox...) to the exact file path as my old computer requires editing the registry & jumping through hoops .  Why should I have to rename my computer for Lightroom to function?

I have also tried creating a new profile with the desired name and transferring all my files & settings. So far, have not been able to duplicate the file path as Win 7 Is generating its own name for the folder, which differs from the new profile name.

Do I really have to re-create my Publish collections?

I do not understand why Lightroom doesn't let you point the publish service to a new hard drive location, considering how often drives fail and/or new computers are purchased.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Publish Service (to hard drive), new computer different user foldername
          Becksnyc Level 1

Jeffrey Fried kindly informed me that it is not possible without editing the LR database, to change the destination of a hard drive Publish Service.

I recreated the whole set of folders, painfully, one by one.

Ridiculous!

• 2. Re: Publish Service (to hard drive), new computer different user foldername
            chadg2029

I have the same problem.  My export path is now D:\OneDrive....   Rather than J:\OneDrive......  I was able to fix all the collections by do doing the 'find photos" and it worked great.  All my publish locations can't change though!  I find it INSANE that you can't change this.  I don't understand why you can't change the export location.  Can someone please explain the technical reason why they ever did this in the first place?  It is just plane nuts and I see no reason for it.  Just CRAZY.......

• 3. Re: Publish Service (to hard drive), new computer different user foldername
              chadg2029 Level 1

OK, if you are comfortable with modifying the database directly here is what you do to fix it.  It was pretty easy and seems to work.  Hope it does not cause me issues down the road.....

1) Download SQLite Manager add on for Firefox.  This very simple tool allows you to open the .lrcat db.

2) Locate the AgLibraryPublishedCollection table -

3) Click on the Parent ID header to order the table view by that column.

4) For each group of Parent ID's you will see a path with your old drive letter in it.  Edit that record and change to the correct drive/path

5) Locate the AgLibraryPublisedCollectionContent table

6) Find the parent collection ID in the 'collection' field for each unique Parent ID you changed in step 4..

7) Update the Content field with the new drive letter.  This field is a larger free text field with what looks like XML.  It edited just fine for me.

That's it!  You can now publish to the new locations.  Hope this helps and let me know if anyone thinks I missed something that needs to be updated......