3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2015 8:30 AM by Laubender

Very strange css behavior, doubling css parameters

Kinneret

Some text has a character style <eng> and looks like:

Financial Meltdown as Normal Accident: The Case of the American Savings and Loan

All the spaces, everything in this row has the style.

But in html I see the following:

<span class="eng">Fi</span><span class="eng">nancial Meltdown as </span><span class="eng">Normal Accident: The Case of the Americ</span><span class="eng">an Savings and Loan </span>

what's going on? I have checked, no any difference between Fi- and - nancial but it has been divided to two different css parts. What causes this problem?

(working at current IND)

• 1. Re: Very strange css behavior, doubling css parameters
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Kinneret – I can only guess here:

How is the character style "eng" applied? Is it a nested line style? A GREP Style? Just applied by using the Character Styles Panel?

What will happen, if you remove the sentence plus the character before and after, retype and reformat the sentence?

Further: Please try to select the sentence and run the following script snippet on it:

//ExtendScript (JavaScript):
          //Run on a text selection only
          alert("Number of TextStyleRanges:"+"\r"+app.selection[0].textStyleRanges.length);

The alert should show "1" for the number of text style ranges used in the selection, if they are formatted without deviation. It could be "4", if the number of local overrides is corresponding with your doubled closing span tags. However, asking for the number of text style ranges by scripting is no "silver bullet" to indicate all differences in formatting of a selected text. There are exceptions for distinct nested formatting with GREP Styles, maybe other nested styles. But it's worth a try.

Uwe

• 2. Re: Very strange css behavior, doubling css parameters
            Kinneret Level 1

thanks for your reply

of course no grep and no nested styles assigned to this text, otherwise I'd say.

I checked that sentence from my first post, it shows "1". No local overrides there.

I tried to rewrite the sentence, it works good, but doesn't answer any question, as i don't write manually any sentence in the book. I copied the sentence to some other part in epub, the problem persists.

• 3. Re: Very strange css behavior, doubling css parameters
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The simple answer is: You discovered a bug.

I would report that by using the bug report form here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I would provide a link to an upload for your original document forcing the bug plus the exported ePub file showing the bug.

Also report the procedure of your workaround rewriting the sentence.

I think, user Yves Apel had a similar case a couple of months ago.

Uwe