4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 10:45 AM by Willi Adelberger

BOLD TYPE

jaymich69 Level 1

I know this might sound like a sily question but where is the BOLD function when I am typing in InDesign? Duh

• 1. Re: BOLD TYPE
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not a function in InDesign, it's a font choice. It can be somewhat automated by setting up a character style with the Bold version of your font, and assigning a shortcut to it.

Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 11.59.13 AM.png

• 2. Re: BOLD TYPE
            jaymich69 Level 1

Sorry I still dont understand how I can use bold type in InDesign? Are you saying its not possible?

• 3. Re: BOLD TYPE
              Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

Take another look at the screenshot SRiegel posted: you first select the font (in the sreenshot above Futura) then the style (in the screenshot below bold).

Some fonts do not have a bold or italic version, in that case you can not choose bold or italic of course ;-)

You can also select a word and then hit Ctrl-Shift-B on PC, Cmnd-Shift-B on Mac to make it bold; again only if you have the bold font as well.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: BOLD TYPE
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Every style is technically a different font.

Other programs like Word (or even Photoshop under certain circumstances) allow to apply bold or italic fonts even if they are not installed. Those style are called false/Faux styles.

InDesign does not allow false styles, because it would cause problems. Every style has to be installed, if not a bold style is installed, bold is not available.

1. Choose the font family
                2. choose the style
                3. Save it as character style (strongly recommended)
                4. Apply this character style to text with a paragraph style. (Never work without paragraph styles!)
                1 person found this helpful