3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 2:37 PM by Wolf Eilers

Lightroom Camera Raw Plug-in won’t work with Panasonic RW2

Mike_P_UK

I've just upgraded to Lightroom 5.7 (from 4) essentially to access the RW2 RAW files from my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 (DMC-TZ70) as this camera is supposed to be supported by the camera raw plug-in (link).

Basically I got fed up of messing with the DNG converter and wanted inbuilt support for these files.

However having installed 5, upgraded to 5.7 (& rebooted) it still won’t read these RW2 files - the import tells me that the RW2 format is not supported.

According to the About info I've got Lightroom 5.7 and Camera Raw 8.7, installed. However I have download the camera raw plug-in 8.8 installer (link), copied it to the Lightroom directory and run it, but it's still saying Camera Raw 8.7 in the About screen and I still can’t access these files.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Lightroom Camera Raw Plug-in won’t work with Panasonic RW2
          whsprague Level 4

Lightroom does not work that way.  ACR updater will update Photoshop CS6, CC, or CC 2014 and works as a "plug-in".  Lightroom has the same guts or "engine" but it is built in, but is not updateable with the ACR updater.  Ideally there would have been a LR 5.8 to go with ACR 8.8 on the same day, but there was not.  Speculation exists that the next step for Lightroom is LR6.  There are also internet rumors that LR6 is behind, heads are rolling at Adobe, midnight oil is in short supply and there should be a release "real soon now".

Use the DNG converter until LR6 comes out.  It is not that bad!

• 2. Re: Lightroom Camera Raw Plug-in won’t work with Panasonic RW2
            Mike_P_UK Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but I'm disappointed if that is the case. </understatement>

I read posts such as this (link) where somebody is using RW2 files with LR5 and I followed the link to supported cameras from a Lightroom support page, so my take was it's my install that isn't working correctly yet you are saying that I'm not going to get it working.

My only reason for upgrading was to read these RW2 files.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Camera Raw Plug-in won’t work with Panasonic RW2
              Wolf Eilers Level 4

The link you posted had all the details to indicate that your camera is not currently supported by any release of Lightroom. It is only currently supported by Camera Raw version 8.8 which is a plug-in that cannot be used by Lightroom (and only by Photoshop). Adobe's free DNG Converter can be used to convert your RW2 files to DNG which is supported by any Lightroom release. Download it here:

Win: Adobe DNG Converter
              Mac: Adobe DNG Converter

1 person found this helpful