3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 1:38 PM by rob day

Best Suggested Workflow for Our Department?

celulloyd Level 1

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this or not but I'll ask anyway...

I'm the creative director for a company's in-house department. We have two locations (1,200 miles apart) and there are people at both locations who have to work on some of the same files. I'll explain our set-up.

We are using InDesign CC 2014 to produce 37 300-page catalogs annually (as well as approximately 30 smaller catalogs, print advertising, and other promotional pieces). The folders that hold the InDesign files are approximately 375GBs at each location. There are approximately 6,000–11,000 placed images in each catalog. For the most part, the images in one catalog are not used in another catalog, therefore we have almost 200,000 image files (2.5TBs) in one location and 57,000 image files (410GBs) in the second location. The catalogs are currently divided between the two locations with those at each location only using the image files that are at that same location. It's worked fine that way but I now want to be able to give everyone the ability to work on any of the catalogs at any time. In my mind, the InDesign files and image files would all have to be synced on each server in order for this to work. The problem is that there are upwards of 5TBs of files that would need to be shared/synced. There's no way that each of us could have that much storage on our desktop computers (and it would be fairly unweildy) but I'm not sure if the relative paths would not match for the placed/linked image files.

Is anyone working in this type of environment and, if so, how are you doing it? I've attached a graphic of what we'd like to do.

CLOUD-STORAGE-PLAN.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Lloyd

• 1. Re: Best Suggested Workflow for Our Department?
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I assume you've checked with other cloud services since your last post? If Dropbox is recommending that you don't serve sync'd files on a LAN, I'm guessing it would be a problem for any cloud based solution.

For the most part, the images in one catalog are not used in another catalog

So why not organize the images in folders by catalog and then have a common file directory for the remainder? Then your designers could sync to only the needed folder(s). Are the client desktops limited in some way—USB storage is currently at $40 a terabyte. The Dropbox app lets you put your home DB folder on any drive

• 2. Re: Best Suggested Workflow for Our Department?
            celulloyd Level 1

rob,

Thanks. Yes, I've been researching some other cloud services but, to be honest, they all talk in "cloud-speak," which I'm not fluent in. 

I'll look into the USB options. We're not creating any video, so USB would probably work. Maybe a 2TB external for each computer would be do-able. It looks like it's going to be a long summer of hard drive restructuring…UGH.

Thanks,

Lloyd

• 3. Re: Best Suggested Workflow for Our Department?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like it's going to be a long summer of hard drive restructuring…UGH.

You probably want to test on a smaller scale first