10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 8:20 AM by daniellem5290598

Lightroom 5-problems with print colors

daniellem5290598

I have Lightroom 5 and am having problems with my prints.  They look great in LR, but when I upload them to different websites for prints skin tones have a grayish-green cast to them and print with the grayish-green cast.  I can pull them up in other applications, i.e. Windows photo gallery and Facebook and they look fine.  I checked my preferences and they are set to sRGB.  Any other ideas?  For example I made an invitation for a friend, the pictures I processed in LR and then used Photoshop CS4 to make the invitation.  The invitation colors printed great.  She liked the pictures I had taken and asked to have those too.  When she printed the actual pictures they had a grayish-green tint to them but the invitation looked fine even though it was made from the same pictures that came out grayish-green.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

daniellem5290598 wrote:

I have Lightroom 5 and am having problems with my prints.  They look great in LR, but when I upload them to different websites for prints skin tones have a grayish-green cast to them and print with the grayish-green cast. 

I’m unclear what your problem is. You say ‘they look great in LR” the prints or the preview? What is “they”?

You upload where and view them where? Can you link to the images and are you certain they are indeed tagged in sRGB? Or are you saying you upload them to some lab who makes the prints and they are green?

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if they come out grayish green, they were almost certainly in prophotoRGB for a website that doesn't color manage. you should check whether they really are sRGB. Also, it is possible that your display calibration is somehow off. Also recalibrate your screen.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
              daniellem5290598 Level 1

The prints look grayish-green.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
                daniellem5290598 Level 1

I have recalibrated my screen and the pictures still look the same.   I looked in my LR and made sure that sRGB is selected for the color space for external editing.  Is there a way to check if the pictures exported with the prophotoRGB instead of sRGB?  I tried looking in properties on the photo and didn't see anywhere where it would tell me whether it was sRGB or prophotoRGB.  I am kinda new to all of this so maybe I am looking in the wrong place, but I was under the details tab in properties on the photo.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

You have to choose sRGB in the Export dialog. The color space you have chosen for external editing won't make any difference in this context.

sRGB.png

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
                    thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

daniellem5290598 wrote:

I have recalibrated my screen and the pictures still look the same. 

The calibration of the display has nothing to do with the output going green.

So you ARE having issues with the print output. What are you sending the lab, what are they demanding in terms of a color space? What Lab?

Post a file for us to examine. Depending on your OS, it’s possible you can detect the embedded profile you send them, assuming you don’t have Photoshop.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

daniellem5290598 wrote:

I have recalibrated my screen and the pictures still look the same.   I looked in my LR and made sure that sRGB is selected for the color space for external editing.  Is there a way to check if the pictures exported with the prophotoRGB instead of sRGB?  I tried looking in properties on the photo and didn't see anywhere where it would tell me whether it was sRGB or prophotoRGB.  I am kinda new to all of this so maybe I am looking in the wrong place, but I was under the details tab in properties on the photo.

The recalibration was just a "also nice to make sure you have done this". Just to check if you don't have another rare problem. The root cause of your problem is clearly that your exports are not sRGB. You set that in the export screen as Per nicely shows. You should keep the color space for external editing that you set in preferences at prophotoRGB. That one has nothing to do with your exports and you're usually better off using the default.

You can check your exported images using several options. On Macs, you simply open it in preview and do a get info (command-I) on it or use Photoshop. You can also see the color profile in the "more info" tab in the "get info" panel in Finder. In the general pane you will see the profile name. On a windows machine it is somewhat more difficult for me to tell you as I have none anywhere near but if you have Photoshop, you can open your jpeg in that and at the bottom of the window click the little sideways triangle that points to the right and select "Document Profile".

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
                        daniellem5290598 Level 1

Soo, just gonna say I feel like a complete idiot.  I never realized there was so much more to chose when you hit the export screen.  I had never scrolled down before.  Can we say amateur mistake?  Thank you so very much!

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
                          daniellem5290598 Level 1

Thank you so much for all of your help!

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5-problems with print colors
                            daniellem5290598 Level 1

Thank you so much for all of your help!