3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 4:28 AM by Peter Spier

Numbered captions incorrect in Table of Contents

Henrik Callerstrand

Hi,

I am working on a book project and have a page – let's call it the "image page" – with eight images with manually typed descriptions below each. These descriptions sit in Static Captions. The captions also have a sequential numbering (1, 2, 3, 4, ...), which is automatically generated by the caption paragraph style. So far everything works just fine.

Now I want to collect all of the captures in a Table of Contents, which works great to 99%. However, the ToC scrambles the capture sequence for a few of the 416 pages, such as my "image page". Not only are the captions listed in the wrong order – the numbers (that are correctly paired with the images on the "image page") are also mixed up so that they refer to another caption (from the same page). The ToC is set to exclude numbers, since there are already numbers in the captions.

The ToC should display the numbering on the "image page" with its corresponding description, and thus look like this ...

284. AAA

285. BBB

286. CCC

287. DDD

288. EEE

289. FFF

290. GGG

291. HHH

... but instead it looks like this:

284. AAA

285.CCC

286. EEE

287. GGG

288. BBB

289. DDD

290. FFF

291. HHH

... so if I wanted to look up caption CCC, I would find EEE instead. Problematic.

In summary:

The captions on the "image page" are correctly numbered.

I have checked that the captions have the correct paragraph style so that the ToC can find them (which it does, but scrambled).

I have tried cutting and re-placing the images and captions in the order that I want them numbered.

I have updated the ToC several times.

Why does the ToC change the caption numbering, and how can I fix it? Grateful for any tips and advice!

/H