5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2015 4:40 PM by A.T. Romano

Convert to Dv-AVI ?

buffalobluff

I have a HP desktop computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit system. I lost Windows Live Movie Maker that came with it. I now have Windows Movie Maker. A book I have said Windows Movie Maker would convert Ts (or other) videos to DV-AVI videos for further editing in Adobe Premier Elements 10. It will only convert to MP4. Is there a difference? Is MP4 good enough? Do I need the LIVE Movie Maker? Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Convert to Dv-AVI ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

I can import MPEG2.ts into Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit. Or, I can convert it to H.264.mp4 in Movie Maker 2012 and then import the .mp4 into Premiere Elements 10 project with good results..

Are you having problems importing a MPEG2.ts file into a Premiere Elements 10 Windows project? Or, is the import OK but the quality questionable? Both quality and import-ability are OK for me.

Please review and consider and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Convert to Dv-AVI ?
            buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: My video identification is MP4. I do not have the H.264.MP4. The MP4 loads into Windows Premere Elements 10 with the default setting   NTSC-DV-STANDARD 48 KHz and works well after it is RENDERED.To me the quality is good. Do I need the DV-AVI for anything? Should I be satisfied with the Windows Movie Maker and not try to get the LIVE version back? Thank you for the quick reply.

• 3. Re: Convert to Dv-AVI ?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

Thanks for the reply.

I think that you have more video opportunities with Movie Maker 2012 and the mp4 exports.

Are you working primarily with high definition or standard and standard widescreen projects? If essentially SD, then DV AVI would be a consideration, especially if re-coding is involved. All video undergoes degradation with re-encoding but DV AVI is said to have less of a problem in this regard.

If you do not need the .mp4 opportunity that comes with Movie Maker 2012 and Window Live Movie Maker worked for you, then try to get back to it as soon as possible while there are still place from where you can download it.

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Convert to Dv-AVI ?
                buffalobluff Level 1

Mr. Romano: Thank you for your replys. They have been helpful. I think I will stay with the Windows Movie Maker 2012. Thank you again.

• 5. Re: Convert to Dv-AVI ?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

Thanks for the follow up.

Best wishes with your video projects.

ATR