• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FP17 Pepper debugger fails to install on Chrome 42 (OS X 10.8.5)

Contributor ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With today's update to Chrome 42, the Flash Player content debugger for Opera and Chromium based applications – PPAPI silently fails to install. Does anyone know who needs to know? A colleague is also having this issue and they're using a later version OSX.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Since build 317656, chromium automatically uses the system version of Pepper Flash and chrome will, too, if you use the --disable-bundled-ppapi-flash option.

It doesn't work, however, apparently due to how Adobe ships the Pepper Flash plugin's manifest.json with x-ppapi-arch set to mac. There is an issue open for this: Issue 470737 - chromium - Mac: Pepper Flash system installed plugin does not load due to x-ppapi-arch change in manife…

Since Adobe made that change, Google will have to change Chec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently seeing the same behavior. My whole department tried to figure out how to install the debugger in Chrome 42. In the meantime developers are using other browsers. I do not think it even attempts to install in Chrome. If you have Chrome open, the installer does not require you to close Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've logged this on the Adobe bug base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2015 Apr 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the exact same issue. Now has to use an alternate browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This change has been done by Chrome in its recent update on MAC that it will use only its bundled PPAPI plugin and will not detect the PPAPI plugins installed using installers. Even the old PPAPI installers will not work on latest version of Chrome now. So its not a bug of Adobe Flash Player but a recent change from chrome resulting in this behaviour. But you can follow the below workaround steps to test PPAPI debugger on Chrome.

1. Install PPAPI debugger on your system using http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/17/flashplayer_17_ppapi_debug.dmg

2. Copy "PepperFlashPlayer.plugin" from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlashPlayer/ and replace in  /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/<current_chrome_version>/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlash/

3. Restart chrome and see if you can use the PPAPI Debugger plugin.

Note : You may need to follow these steps everytime chrome updates the bundled plugin.

Hope it solves your problem.

-Varun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlashPlayer is not visible in the Finder, but you can use the Finder search to find the file and the copy it to Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is also present on Windows 8.1x64 with the latest version of chrome.  Debugging flash is now impossible.  Using the PAPPI plugin, the flash object simply crashes the moment that the debugger connects (Flash Builder 4.7 64 bit)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, flash, etc... my only solution was to roll back to a much earlier version of chrome and hack my registry to permanently disable chrome updates.

The PAPPI debugger is garbage, and has never worked well with the Flash Builder Debugger.  Would any of you fine folks have any workarounds that will allow me to use the REAL Flash player plugin with the newest chrome instead of this google abomination?

Until this issue is fixed, I will be using a very old version of chrome and a hacked registry to avoid any future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi david_kenneth_coleman

david_kenneth_coleman wrote:

This issue is also present on Windows 8.1x64 with the latest version of chrome.  Debugging flash is now impossible.  Using the PAPPI plugin, the flash object simply crashes the moment that the debugger connects (Flash Builder 4.7 64 bit)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, flash, etc... my only solution was to roll back to a much earlier version of chrome and hack my registry to permanently disable chrome updates.

The PAPPI debugger is garbage, and has never worked well with the Flash Builder Debugger.  Would any of you fine folks have any workarounds that will allow me to use the REAL Flash player plugin with the newest chrome instead of this google abomination?

Until this issue is fixed, I will be using a very old version of chrome and a hacked registry to avoid any future updates.

1. Can you Please share a sample Code you are trying to debug on which your Flash Plugin Crashes?

2. Are you using the Debugger Type Flash Player for Chrome(recommended above)? Also, Have you set the Default Browser type to Chrome before debugging?

Yes I agree, If you don't wish to replace the Plugin again and again you'll have to disable chrome automatic updates temporarily. I hope [Turning Off Auto Updates in Google Chrome - The Chromium Projects ‌] is what you are doing.

We would certainly try to resolve this query as soon as possible.

--

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Piyush,

Yes, I’ll try to put together a sample project and post it to my github.

I cannot share the code that it is happening with, because it is a pre-release social product, which is absolutely secret.

However I don’t doubt that I can reproduce it, because the pepper debugger has never worked for me. I honestly have no idea which elements of my code cause the issue… frankly I never use the pepper debugger so I don’t know if it connects even to a simple empty flex app… I’ll start there and see what I have to add to break it.

Please be patient, because I am a month from release and working 24/7 on the product. I will try to get you some sample code in a week or so.

-Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Dave,

Thanks. That will be great

--

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work if you're trying to debug from IntelliJ.

As soon as Chrome launches and the attempt to connect happens the Flash player crashes.

My workaround has been to uninstall Chrome and switch to Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps above and I am able to successfully debug with Intellij 13.1.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would we solve this issue on windows? Where is the debug flash player installed to and where does it need to be copied to?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

On Windows,

1. Uninstall Existing PPAPI Flash Player using Uninstaller on Uninstall Flash Player | Windows Page
  2. Install Flash Player Debugger for PPAPI from Adobe Flash Player - Downloads Page, here you will find Download the Flash Player content debugger for Opera and Chromium based applications – PPAPI
  3. Once PPAPI Debugger is Installed on your system:
    • In %WINDIR% [32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions - Windows Help]
      • If Win 32 Bit,
        • Go to --> C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash, here you will find pepflashplayer32_<current version>.dll
      • If Win 64 Bit,
        • 32-bit Chrome: Go to --> C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash, here you will find pepflashplayer32_<current version>.dll
        • 64-bit Chrome: Go to --> C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash, here you will find pepflashplayer64_<current version>.dll
  4. Copy the 32- or 64-bit file (depends on Chrome) to Desktop and rename this file to pepflashplayer.dll
  5. Open Chrome, in the Address bar type: Chrome://plugins
  6. Click on Details
  7. Go to Adobe Flash Player - Version: <current version> row
    • Select the Location from where PPAPI Installer is being used,
    • Location will look something like this - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\<current version of chrome>\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
  8. In Windows Explorer navigate to the Chrome location (from step 7)
  9. Make a back up of this Plugin
  10. Paste the Debugger Plugin from step 3 in this directory
  11. Done.

--

Piyush

[Edited by m_vargas: In step 3: Fixed incorrect path to 32-bit pepflashplayer.dll on 64-bit OS, and added 64-bit pepflashplayer.dll path on 64-bit OS]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the instructions that should work for Windows Chrome:

• Navigate to: chrome://plugins
  • Expand the 'Details'
  • Ensure the PPAPI plugin in the \\Macromed\\Flash location is enabled and the PPAPI plugin in the Google Chrome location is disabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done! this got me around this issue temporarily. I really appreciate the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behaviour was to be expected since a timeline for the deprecation of the NPAPI plugins was defined in early 2014 by the chromium project

NPAPI deprecation: developer guide - The Chromium Projects

For the moment, until september 2015, you can go to visit the url chrome://flags/#enable-npapi and re-enable the NPAPI support. Flash debugger will be loaded and work as expected.

Would be nice to hear what are Adobe's plan to address this current and future change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alebianco this solved my problem for now.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alebianco,

Enabling NPAPI Plugin won't be the right solution, because NPAPI Plugins support has been deprecated by Chrome long time ago. Although these Plugins still run on chrome via the tweak you have recommended above but developers are not recommended to use them.

Chromium Blog: Saying Goodbye to Our Old Friend NPAPI

Adobe Flash Player plug-in - Chrome Help

--

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi piyush2508

As I said, it's a temporary workaround.

Also, i find really hard to believe that Adobe's suggesting that alternate solution (disinstall, install, move files manually, disable updates ... really?) which is a lot more complex and has a major drawback: the player does not log traces and errors to the flashlog.txt anymore. I haven't tried testing debugging from an IDE but it looks like there're problems there as well.

Again, would be nice to see a proper plan in place to fix the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alebianco

"Again, would be nice to see a proper plan in place to fix the situation."

Google has not enabled the use of the non-embedded PPAPI plugin for Chrome on OS X.  Please file a bug with Google to implement the non-embedded PPAPI plugin on Chrome (Report an issue - Chrome Help).  The alternative to Piyush's suggestion above is to use Opera browser, which has enabled the use of the PPAPI plugin, release and content debugger.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since build 317656, chromium automatically uses the system version of Pepper Flash and chrome will, too, if you use the --disable-bundled-ppapi-flash option.

It doesn't work, however, apparently due to how Adobe ships the Pepper Flash plugin's manifest.json with x-ppapi-arch set to mac. There is an issue open for this: Issue 470737 - chromium - Mac: Pepper Flash system installed plugin does not load due to x-ppapi-arc...

Since Adobe made that change, Google will have to change CheckPepperFlashManifest to accep the new value.

In the meantime, users apparently can 1) close chrome 2) edit their manifest.json and change "x-ppapi-arch": "mac" to "x-ppapi-arch": "x64" and then save the file and 3) restart chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this only work on mac? This didn't work for me. Though I'm not sure which manifest.json file to change. I changed the one on syswow64\macromed\flash folder. Is there another one elsewhere that should be changed?

I've also changed the one under program files\google\chrome\application\<chrome versoin>\pepperflash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris Velevitch ,

Hope the responses have resolved your Query, but I would like to summarize the above:

1. Pepper Installer [Release/Debug] is not applicable for Chrome/Canary/Chromium browsers. For Mac/Win Chrome, flash player is shipped on your system along-with the Chrome Package[App/Exe/Updates] only.

2. Workaround to Install Flash Player Debugger Version on Chrome:

• Uninstall PPAPI Plugin installed on your System, you will get uninstaller from here[Uninstall Flash Player | Mac OS‌]
  • Download PPAPI Debugger Installer[Download the Flash Player content debugger for Opera and Chromium based applications – PPAPI‌] applicable to both 32bit and 64bit browsers from our Developer Support Pages [Adobe Flash Player - Downloads ‌] here you will find Installers[Debug Type] for all Flash Players.
  • Install Pepper Debugger Type Flash Player on your System. Now comes the tricky part;
    • Goto Location --> /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlashPlayer/  [This folder will not get created until you have installed the above Flash Player]
    • Copy Plugin --> "PepperFlashPlayer.plugin"
    • Goto Location--> /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/<current_chrome_version>/Google\ Chrome\Framework.framework/Internet\ Plug-Ins/PepperFlash/
    • Paste the copied plugin
  • Restart Chrome App.
  • Goto: Flash Player Help Click on check Installed Flash Player Version, you will see the Installed Flash Player Details on your screen.
    Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 11.41.54 AM.png

Now you can use Flash Player Debugger. Also the use-case you have displayed is subjected to internal discussions on providing debugger plugin for chrome on our developer support page.

Hope this is helpful.

--

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not waste your time trying this it doesn't work.

As soon as you try to debug from your IDE the player crashes.

I turned the support for the plugins back on and used terminal to disable auto updates to Chrome and it's all working again, best of all I'm no longer subjected to these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines