4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2007 8:54 AM by peterent

Print Job

konlin77

Trying to create an app that allows a user to print directly to the printer, bypassing the print dialog box. From what i understand i need to use printJob.start() which forces the dialog box. Is there any way to do this?
      thanks.
        • 1. Re: Print Job
          peterent Level 2
          Unfortunately you have to use start() which posts the dialog box. I believe we have this listed as an enhancement request.
          • 2. Re: Print Job
            davidttt
            I am lucky come across your post in time, I have already spent a week doing research to solve this issue. Peter, can you also put flexprintjob for multiple printers directly?
            • 3. Re: Print Job
              David Sargent
              Peter,
              Can I request a future blog? Printing images that are not loaded or pages that are not already displayed. So creating pages on the fly during the print process. There seems to be a lack of documentation on this topic.

Thanks
              David
              • 4. Re: Print Job
                peterent Level 2
                You cannot print to multiple printers directly, you must post the dialog box. This is a security feature to prevent someone from writing a Flex or Flash app that gets downloaded from a web page that suddenly sends hundreds of pages to your printer or worse, your fax printer.

You can only print what you see. The Flash Player must render the graphics to print them. So you won't be able to print something off-screen. At least not in the foreseeable future. It may become possible in a future version of the Flash Player.

You can certainly create a page (eg, a Canvas) add it to the display list (using addChild()) and then use validateNow() to force the player to render it. Then you can print that page, removing it from the display list when you are done (removeChild()).