3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 2:37 PM by Dave LaRonde

Rendered video very low quality

lindsayc91784306 Level 1

My camera shoots in MTS format. I converted the file to mp4 and edited it. I then imported that footage into After Effects and when I tried to render the video it was very low quality. I made sure the composition settings and render settings matched that of my video. I tried saving it as H.264, mov, avi, m4v, and mpeg2 non of which were good enough quality to use. The avi format came close in quality for the video but everything seemed to move in slow motion. The audio played perfectly though. I also tried rendering video directly from the MTS file and it still didn't work.

Is there a specific way I should convert or encode the file? I tried some different settings within Adobe Media Encoder but when I brought the file into AE and tried to render I got the same issues of it being low quality.

This is for a client so it's very important that I get the needed effects added to this video. Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Rendered video very low quality
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need some specifics like frame size of the video, frame rate, render settings. Generally if you work with standard presets for comp size and square pixels, match frame rate and use the YouTube or Vimeo HD presets that match your comp settings you will get high quality results. There are lots of design issues that can foul up a render so it would also help to see what your design looks like. Thin lines, over saturated colors and levels problems are just the start.

I would suggest that you type Rendering in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE and read up on formats and options. Spending an hour studying and learning is a better way to use your time than crunching out a dozen renders that are not going to work.

• 2. Re: Rendered video very low quality
            lindsayc91784306 Level 1

I understand how After Effects rendering works and different file types. I just wanted to try rendering in different formats just make sure I hadn't missed something. I figured something out that came close to the quality I need so I guess it will have to work.

My original MTS file is 1920 x 1080 and 29 fps.

I rendered it with these settings originally

NTSC, 1920 x 1080

29.9 fps

Bitrate CBR 30 Mbps

The file came out choppy and noticeably lower quality.

The last time I rendered it with these settings:

NTSC, 1280 x 720,

59.94 fps

Bitrate CBR 20 MBps

The quality was much much better. It still had a little distortion with a lot of movement but it was much more bearable so I guess that's what I'm going with. If anyone knows of any better settings it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• 3. Re: Rendered video very low quality
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Normally, you get delivery specifications that cover such things as media container & codec, dimensions in pixels, frame rate, audio, etc.  What are YOUR delivery specifications?