23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2017 3:29 PM by Jao vdL

Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor

Blueridger

Friends,

I'm a new member of the Lightroom family.  I'd like to use Lightroom Mobile while traveling whereby I download RAWs (or RAWs and .jpegs) to my iPad, edit the images on my iPad, then easily sync/transfer those edits to my computer when I get home.  Is that possible?

Thanks!

Steve

• 1. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

No. That isn't the way Lightroom mobile is designed to work- at least not at this time.

Raw files need to be ingested to a LR Desktop Version catalog first and then synced back to the iPad.

• 2. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
            Blueridger Level 1

I don't know if this is redundant to my question but is there a way to edit

the previews in mobile and later sync the edits to the RAWs after I injest

them to LR desktop?

Steve

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:34 AM, RikkFlohr <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can shoot raw+jpeg, import the jpegs to the iPad, adjust / rate / flag them and then use my Syncomatic plugin to copy those details to the raw files.

But as Rikk says, LrM isn't designed to be a substitute for a laptop while travelling.

• 4. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                Blueridger Level 1

So does syncomatic make mobile the effective substitute for a laptop?

Steve

• 5. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor

Not in my view. It is designed to sync adjustments/metadata between matching files, and I've been surprised to hear people are using it for the raw+jpeg workflow I described.

• 6. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                    Blueridger Level 1

Sounds like an unexpected side benefit!

I'll have to check it out.

Steve

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 12:25 PM, john beardsworth <forums_noreply@adobe.com

• 7. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Be prepared to be frustrated though. LR Mobile is fun and interesting but very very far from an effective file ingested/simple editor if you shoot raw. You can trick it a bit with the syncomatic thing but you are in my opinion probably still far better off with a simple and cheap ultra book type machine or a MS surface machine (a full one, not the hobbled one) and running full Lightroom even if like me you'd rather use Apple interfaced products if weight for travel is a concern than an iPad. Just something to consider.

• 8. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                        Blueridger Level 1

Your points are well taken.  I'm an Apple guy too and, because I'm strictly

an amateur, it doesn't make sense to buy a Macbook Air just for the

convenience of editing during the two or three big trips I take in a year

(but who knows with the rumored iPad pro?).  I suspect that within a few

years, mobile devices will become more powerful and software more

sophticated so that we can actually do some decent RAW editing on a mobile

device.

Steve

• 9. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also keep in mind that your iPad isn't color managed. X-Rite and Datacolor offer apps to calibrate iPad and Android displays, but I'm not even sure if LR Mobile is designed to use a display profile. Does anybody know?

• 10. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor

With those apps you only get color management inside the apps themselves. LRmobile will not be color managed if you do that calibration. That said the current slate of iPads have fairly good screens and you wouldn't gain much that is not very much overshadowed by the far greater effect of varying light conditions that you invariably have with a mobile device.

• 11. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                              Blueridger Level 1

Good point.  Plus, let's be clear about my (and others', I'm sure)

objective:  to have some editing capacity while on the road. Even if I have

to make some adjustments at home, such as adding metadata or making certain

lighting adjustments, that's far bettr than having to edit hundreds of

images from scratch.  It seems like syncomatic might be a decent solution.

Steve

• 12. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Selecting, rating, cropping, and adding metadata to image files are very doable. You could do basic tonal and color correction using the camera JPEG (raw + JPEG mode), but the settings probably won't carry-over very well to the raw files in LR desktop. We hear it all the time, "Why don't my raw files look like my camera JPEGs inside LR?" If LR had Relative Develop preset capability you could "tune" the raw file default Develop settings to better match the camera JPEG, and then the LR Mobile JPEG Develop settings would correlate better.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/relative_presets_would_save_the_day

• 13. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor

I don't think it matters that the iPad isn't colour managed (and LrM isn't designed for it). OK, it might if you are brave or stupid enough to make exhibition quality prints without reviewing the image on a real computer. Instead the adjustments on the iPad are ball park, equivalent to Quick Develop, they give you time to think about the image, try out crops, rate and flag etc. Your time in front of a monitor is then spent on fine tuning.

An alternative workflow is possible if you get access to a real computer while you're travelling and if it has decent upload speeds. Log into your lightroom.adobe.com in a web browser and drag the photos from Explorer/Finder into a collection in the browser window. The raw file then uploads, and will be synced down to your computer when you get home. You can then make adjustments in LrMobile and avoid kludges like Syncomatic.

Personally, I think the small laptop is still the way to go. For now anyway.

• 14. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor

Personally, I think the small laptop is still the way to go. For now anyway.

I would agree. And if you want to stay in the Mac universe, the 11" Macbook Air is quite nice and runs LR just fine.

Great tip about the dragging raw into lightroom.adobe.com. I did not know that this was possible. Learned something new!

• 15. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor

This LrWeb has lots of potential, and I would recommend you experiment with it. Or just keep an eye on it as they're adding features without making big announcements.

The fact that it syncs the original is very handy, so one way I used it was to do some Photoshop work on a file on my laptop while at a friend's house, and remotely add it to my main (synced) catalogue which is on my desktop PC at home. I'm sure other uses will occur to you.

Another thing you may not have seen is that you can flag and add ratings in LrWeb using the same P / U / X shortcuts or the numbers 1-5. So the other day I had loaded a new set of pictures to my desktop machine and synced them, but then did some reviewing on my laptop. You can do the same on an iPad, except the laptop has a bigger colour managed screen.

• 16. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                                        rf-tronic

Hi John, I'm looking for same answers here and found yours

... The raw file then uploads, and will be synced down to your computer when you get home. You can then make adjustments in LrMobile ..."

Thats what I want to do but it doesnt work. I want to save my RAWs on the iPad AIR2 anywhere, then open with LR mobile on the iPad and so the RAWs wil be uploaded to the Cloud. Nice, that works. But it doesnt work to download at home the RAWs to my Computer (WIN10) and have all changes and developements. What's wrong? I could not find the CR2 (Canon-Raw) on my Computer. Think, there are only the Smart-Previews. Isn't it possible to download the RAWs and sync with the mobile changes? Would be nice, if you answer. I have the newest Versions (Adobe CC Photography: LR and PS).
                                        best regards
                                        Ramon

• 17. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                                          andrevallejo Level 1

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that when I download a raw file from an SD card to my iPad and add it t to LR Mobile, the original gets transferred to my LR desktop (Mac) with all the edits. I can even right click the file and find the original file, what shows LR Mobile has gone a long way from the beginning of this thread, and now an iPad can replace a laptop during trips...

Something I'm not seeing here? Because I'm about to begin a one month trip, and that's how I intend to do...!

best, André

• 18. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                                            rf-tronic Level 1

Hi best Ramon

• 19. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor

It definitely will sync the raw files to your computer now and you simply right click on them and do a "show in Explorer/Finder" to see where they are on your computer. It is pretty slow to sync though (much slower than your bandwidth would predict) and there are caveats. I looked into this recently here: Jao's photo blog: A mobile workflow with Lightroom? Adobe has done some more improvements to the syncing since then so the situation is somewhat better than I described but my main conclusions are still valid. It works if your needs are modest.

1 person found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                                                andrevallejo Level 1

As Jao vdl said, just right click de photo.

I have just synced a bunch so far as a test and it worked fine. But as he said, it take a long time...then about syncing a month of shooting, I'm not sure...As I'll probably be syncing on a daily basis as I travel, when I get back home I'll probably just connect the iPad to the Mac and tell LR desktop to import it all, hoping it will figure it out... But then I guess I will eventually finish with two copies, one from the diret import and another from the synced collection...I can then just erase one of them I figure..not sure LR will be able to outsmart this, I think not...yet...

1 person found this helpful
                                                • 21. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                                                  rf-tronic Level 1

thx to Jao and andreallejo to answer me... seems like we have to wait for the next few Updates ... maybe it will faster in future. best regards, saludos cordiales

• 22. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor
                                                    andrevallejo Level 1

Just read Jao's blog, very useful. I'll be using the exact same setup, iPad Pro 9.7 and raw files from an Fuji X-Pro 2, about 25mb per file...

So Jao, about importing images, I guess what I'll do is:

Turning wifi off (to prevent Photos from syncing with  Apple's cloud)

Importing from the SD card to camera roll

Selecting and importing to LR Mobile

Backup the card to an external drive with SD reader (fundamental step!)

Erasing all images from the camera roll

Formatting the SD card

Turn wifi back on

Keep shooting

About editing, it's clear to me I'm making basic adjustsments for the fun and then doing real job on picks when back home.

Then about syncing with the desktop...I still have to think about it, but as it stands, I guess I'll surely end with duplicates, but they will be clearly separated between the synced collection and the imported folder, so I'll just have to delete one of them, no big hassle...

Seems right to you Jao vdL ?

• 23. Re: Using Lightroom Mobile as travel downloader/editor

Yeah I think that will work well. Smart to turn off wifi when you're importing to the camera roll and to do a backup separately. This will prevent most of the issues I found doing this.