9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 8:34 AM by Datty

Lightroom massive retrieve?

Datty

I used lightroom 5 with the latest update on the Mac OS 10.10.

I made the mistake of applying the lightroom changes directly on the photos original and not a copy.

I would like to retrieve the original photos in groups of 200 or more at a time to export them to a new folder, but preserving also those modified.

What could be the safest procedure?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
          dj_paige Level 9

I made the mistake of applying the lightroom changes directly on the photos original and not a copy.

Lightroom never changes your original photos, so there is no need to work on a copy.

I would like to retrieve the original photos in groups of 200 or more at a time to export them to a new folder, but preserving also those modified.

I don't understand this, your original photos are unchanged. If you mean that you want to remove the edits from your photos, just click on Reset for one photo, and then copy the settings to the others. There is no exporting needed.

If you want both an unchanged photo and an edited photo, you could use virtual copies, but since your original photos remain unchanged, please explain further.

• 2. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
            Datty Level 1

You can then display only virtual copies of a catalog?

• 3. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
              dj_paige Level 9

Datty wrote:

You can then display only virtual copies of a catalog?

I certain didn't say or imply that. You can't make a virtual copy of a catalog; you can only make virtual copies of a photo, and I'm not sure if that's something that will help you out in your situation.

I still would like you to describe in more detail exactly what you want to do, because the situation you are in now, and the end result of what you are trying to do, is not clear to me.

• 4. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
                Datty Level 1

for the future, I wish I had a disk folder with all the pictures in the original version and work with Lr / Ps to another folder on a real or virtual (preferred) copy.

Sorry for my bad English. I do what I can.

• 5. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
                  dj_paige Level 9

I don't think your English is bad.

I think your understanding of Lightroom needs to be improved. Your original photos have not been changed. They are still original photos, because Lightroom never changes the image portion of your photos.

So, there is no need to create another copy of your original photos.

When you work with the photos in Lightroom, the edits appear in Lightroom but the original photo is not changed. From Lightroom, you can send the edited or unedited photo (your choice) to Photoshop if you want, by right-clicking on the photo and selecting Edit In ...

• 6. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
                    Datty Level 1

You're absolutely right.

I know and I knew that Lr retains the original photo.

But sometimes it happened to me that, as a result of exports set wrong and improper operation of disk cleaning, I found only the modified version and date wrong. I just wanted a system to avoid these mistakes that make me miss the original and change the history.

But I understand your advice.

Thank you very much.

• 7. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
                      Datty Level 1

I may have found a way to work I need (I hope):

After importing new pictures I make virtual copies of all.

In the module library Lr active filters.

On the top right of the filter bar, there is a Kind toggle with three icons. The 2nd is the Virtual Copies toggle icon. If select it, I see only the virtual copies.

So I can only work on virtual copies.

Tks Again.

• 8. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Honestly, I think this is unnecessary extra work.

Virtual copies are generally used when you are  creating a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th ... ) edit of a photo, for example, original edit, then black-and-white edit, then low saturation edit.

You don't make virtual copies just as a general rule to start your editing. There's no need.

• 9. Re: Lightroom massive retrieve?
                          Datty Level 1

Ok!!! Tks again!