6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2015 2:04 AM by Ed2149

Recommend an editing PC I don't have to build

LimboKing

Looking to buy a PC for my work. I don't have time/knowledge to build a rig, especially since I'd have to do it at the office and I haven't worked here long enough yet to be able to spend two days playing LEGOs with the machine and troubleshooting when I inevitably install something incorrectly.

Will be editing HD videos shot on DSLRs, 5-15 mins each, so I don't need a monster, trying to stay under $1000. If your knee jerk reaction is to tell me that I need to spend more and get a better system, don't. I can't. Help me work with what I got

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Recommend an editing PC I don't have to build
          cc_merchant Level 4

You never heard the saying, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Good luck finding anything that slow.

• 2. Re: Recommend an editing PC I don't have to build
            LimboKing Level 1

Have you ever heard the saying "If your knee jerk reaction is to tell me that I need to spend more and get a better system, don't. I can't. Help me work with what I got"? I'm almost positive you have.

Besides, your sentiment is wrong. I spent the last 2 years editing on a Toshiba Satellite S855 laptop, which go for $600 tops nowadays. It has major overheating problems and yes is slow as hell, but got the job done in film school and got me hired right out of it. What I need now is advice on $400 worth of upgrade on that machine in desktop form, not a fortune cookie quote.

Like I said, I'm trying to do 5-15 min HD clips for internet use. I'm not swinging a green-screened 4k RAW feature and don't need a $5 grand NASA supercomputer.

Thanks in advance, again

• 3. Re: Recommend an editing PC I don't have to build
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may want to consider leasing a better computer until you can save up enough money for a "real" editing machine.  A lot of the major computer manufacturers have that option available.  Some also offer financing options.

• 4. Re: Recommend an editing PC I don't have to build
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

for that budget you will be looking for a pc with an intel i7 in it, and 16gb ram. there are several different chips from intel, the higher the numbers the better, the i7-4790 is a common one for your budget. then it will need a good video card, something like a nvidia 750/760/960 2gb will be in that budget. if needed, you also have the option of buying a pc for around 850 and then buying the nvidia 750ti and adding it to your system. some of those nvidia's don't need a power connection, so its easier to add in to a pre-built computer, just make sure its one of those if doing that. most of these will only come with one 7200rpm hdd, so depending on your needs, could buy and add in another for media.

• 5. Re: Recommend an editing PC I don't have to build
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well I just spent the past thirty minutes or more looking for a computer that I would recommend in the $1000 category.  There are a number of Dell, HP and Asus models that I looked at on the Microcenter site.  Those that I found in the sub-$1000 category that had at least an i7 quad core CPU had an nVidia GPU turned out to have video memory that was DDR3 (read lousy) memory.  You really want a GPU with DDR5 video RAM. The second problem is only one disk drive in all except one.

If you can stretch you budget to $1300 I found a MicroCenter house brand unit that might work.  It is not in stock in our local store but might be available otherwise but it is an i7-4970K with 16 GB of RAM and a 120 GB SSD plus a 1 TB hard drive and the big surprise to me is it has a GTX 970 4 GB  video card.  The only shortcoming is you cannot expand the memory beyond 16 GB  but that is minor considering your requirements.

Edit: I just learned that iBuyPower is not a Microcenter house brand and see that originally I did not link to that unit. which I now have for you .  BUT, also found another model of that vendor at Newegg with a few pros and cons (more memory slots but only a GTX 960 with 2 GB of video RAM) for $1200.

EDIT 2:  After reading up on the WD Black2 dual drive I am very disappointed in that the hard drive part of the unit is only a 5400 rpm drive.  The SSD is a very low end ssd with about only 350 MB/s read rte and about 150 MB/sec write rate.

• 6. Re: Recommend an editing PC I don't have to build
                    Ed2149 Level 1

I had a quick look into this and the best I could do was from Cyberpower PC. They have a pretty good sale on atm including x99 systems but that aside the very lowest I could configure something usable was $1036 and it had a $15 rebate on the motherboard (check).

Things to note are it only has a single HDD so you would either need to add a second for media etc., or already have some storage which seeing as you are already editing on a lappy that is possible, if not HDD's are not that expensive. I would probably also try to get a better case as you are unlikely to upgrade it at a later date. There are other things that could be tweaked up and down in this but I appreciate your budget and so have done what I could to keep the price down without making too many compromises on what I consider to be a base spec that could be upgraded over time.

As mentioned previously the other way would be to buy an off the shelf system and replace parts but depending on what you replace I would keep an eye on warranty restrictions.

My hand on heart advice would be to try save a few more $'s but budgets are a part of life.

Gamer Xtreme 2000 (NO MONITOR)

Total: $1036

Build: BASE_PRICE: [+949]

Modifications:

Gaming Chasis: AZZA Draco Mid-Tow er Gaming Case [-3] (Black Color)

Extra Case Fans: Default case fans

Noise Reduction Technology: None

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 3.60 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 [+56]

Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler w / T.B.SILENCE PWM 120mm Twister Bearing fan

Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant

Motherboard: * GIGABYTE Z97-D3H ATX w / Realtek GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 3 PCI, 6x SATA 6Gb/s (Pro OC

Certified)

RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+74] (Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card: EVGA FTW Edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 [-25] (Single Card)

Power Supply: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

1. M.2 SATA SSD: None

INTERNAL PCI-E SSD CARD: None

Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+3] (Single Drive)

Secondary Hard Drive: None

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None

Optical Drive: None [-13]

Internal Wireless Network Card: None

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Internal Network Card: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Keyboard: None [-5]

Mouse: AZZA Alpha 1600 DPI Gaming Mouse

Fan Controller/Temperature Display: None

Internal USB Expansion Module: None

External Wireless Network Card: None

Bluetooth: None

Operating System: Window s 8.1

Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME

TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Rush Service: Standard Process Time: Ship within 8 Business Day

PRICE: ($1036).