2 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2006 1:25 PM by Newsgroup_User

looking for training

Level 7
      hi - I have been doing websites for a few years now, mostly for very small
      businesses. I am not a graphic designer per se, but I have a decent eye for
      style, but my websites are kind of flat-looking if you know what I mean,
      lacking depth or real character. And so I am looking to move up my skill set
      to match some others (who are taking some of my business away btw). I think
      I need to start by learning how to create some more deep, striking images,
      perhaps in the web graphic area or basic design. I am currently using the
      Macromedia suite of products, MX 2004. I have never used Photoshop, just
      Fireworks, but seems that most good designers use Photoshop - should I get
      that and train on that, or will Fireworks do, if so should I upgrade to 8 on
      everthing? And so I am looking for some assistance in the training area,
      even perhaps getting certified in DW? Thanks for any help!

Here you can see what my sites look like:

http://www.hil-tec.com/www.htm

John

• 1. Re: looking for training
          Level 7
          There are tons of books out there on web design.
          Here is my latest favorite:

The Zen of CSS Design
          by
          Dave Shea and Molly Holzschlag

Looking at a lot of other sites is also a good teacher.
          Copying (but not stealing) other design elements is also a good way to
          learn. Like in, wow!, how did they do that?

Do a google for Design for the web and see what comes up.

alex

John Hill wrote:
          > hi - I have been doing websites for a few years now, mostly for very small
          > businesses. I am not a graphic designer per se, but I have a decent eye for
          > style, but my websites are kind of flat-looking if you know what I mean,
          > lacking depth or real character. And so I am looking to move up my skill set
          > to match some others (who are taking some of my business away btw). I think
          > I need to start by learning how to create some more deep, striking images,
          > perhaps in the web graphic area or basic design. I am currently using the
          > Macromedia suite of products, MX 2004. I have never used Photoshop, just
          > Fireworks, but seems that most good designers use Photoshop - should I get
          > that and train on that, or will Fireworks do, if so should I upgrade to 8 on
          > everthing? And so I am looking for some assistance in the training area,
          > even perhaps getting certified in DW? Thanks for any help!
          >
          > Here you can see what my sites look like:
          >
          > http://www.hil-tec.com/www.htm
          >
          > John
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: looking for training
            Level 7
            thanks Alex!

J

"A l e x M a r i � o" <alSePxAmMar@mt.net> wrote in message
            news:e3tfr1$j1b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > There are tons of books out there on web design.
            > Here is my latest favorite:
            >
            > The Zen of CSS Design
            > by
            > Dave Shea and Molly Holzschlag
            >
            > Looking at a lot of other sites is also a good teacher.
            > Copying (but not stealing) other design elements is also a good way to
            > learn. Like in, wow!, how did they do that?
            >
            > Do a google for Design for the web and see what comes up.
            >
            > alex
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > John Hill wrote:
            >> hi - I have been doing websites for a few years now, mostly for very
            >> small businesses. I am not a graphic designer per se, but I have a decent
            >> eye for style, but my websites are kind of flat-looking if you know what
            >> I mean, lacking depth or real character. And so I am looking to move up
            >> my skill set to match some others (who are taking some of my business
            >> away btw). I think I need to start by learning how to create some more
            >> deep, striking images, perhaps in the web graphic area or basic design. I
            >> am currently using the Macromedia suite of products, MX 2004. I have
            >> never used Photoshop, just Fireworks, but seems that most good designers
            >> use Photoshop - should I get that and train on that, or will Fireworks
            >> do, if so should I upgrade to 8 on everthing? And so I am looking for
            >> some assistance in the training area, even perhaps getting certified in
            >> DW? Thanks for any help!
            >>
            >> Here you can see what my sites look like:
            >>
            >> http://www.hil-tec.com/www.htm
            >>
            >> John
            >>