14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 8:01 AM by A.T. Romano

Burning to folder & DVD

porkybear

My first time to post a note.

For several years I have selected to burn DVD to a folder.  From there I burn it to a DVD.  I have reinstall premiere 12 now several times.  I select to burn to a folder and it seems to go through all the stages.  However, when I open the folder, there is nothing there.  I checked other possible folders and found nothing.  What am I doing wrong?  Is it an internal system problem or am I missing something in the process?  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

porkybear

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 12 to the 12.1 Update yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. If not, please do so.

For your immediate problem, can you burn to disc if you cannot burn to folder?

What other burn software do you have on your computer with Premiere Elements 12/12.1?

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements?

Are you running the programs as administrator?

Have you tried to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file? When you did the uninstall/reinstall did you use the free ccleaner to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls? If not, we will talk about this after your reply.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
            porkybear Level 1

Thanks, I will check some of those points that you made.  As for the DVD burn, I have Nero.  I will also check for the latest updates for that too. ThanksDennis/porkybear

• 3. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis/porkybear

Thanks for the reply.

Typically the question is asked, if you cannot burn to disc in Premiere Elements, can you burn to folder.

But, in this case, I have the reverse question, if you cannot burn to folder, can you burn to disc in Premiere Elements?

Also, in Premiere Elements 12/12.1 there is Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD burn to folder. Does that work for the AVCHD burn to folder?

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                porkybear Level 1

Dear Friend,

A few minutes ago I burned a simple file to a dvd directly through Nero to see if it was working.  It was.  I will check these things out.  I know what you are saying about the Publish+share.  I will try that this evening yet.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Dennis

• 5. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                  porkybear Level 1

Dear Jive,I just tried the to burn it to "AVCHD folder."  It does burn to that folder.  However, I lose my menu but I do have the video and sound.  It looks good.  But I would like to have an active menu too.  I guess you can burn that to a DVD and it will player on most DVD players.  On the other hand does that give a clue as to what is wrong?  I will check the other suggestions either later tonight -eastern time- or tomorrow.  Thanks for your helpDennis

• 6. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis

Your burn to AVCHD burn to folder should include disc menu if you set them up in the Tools Menu/Movie Menu section before the Publish+Share. The only thing that should not be working for you in AVCHD burn to are stop markers. Stop markers do not function at playback of the AVCHD on DVD disc (also Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc). But those stop markers do work in the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that includes them.

Once you have your AVCHD burn to folder done, you should have in the saved folder from the process a BDMV Folder. You can take that to AVCHD on DVD disc with the ImgBurn program. End result AVCHD with menus on DVD disc. The major downer is that you need a Blu-ray player or one of those multi media players that support AVCHD on DVD playback in order to get your playback.

Please take another look at AVCHD with menus on DVD disc.

We will be watching for further results.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

• 7. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                      fkenn1999

I am having a similar problem.

When I burn to a DVD folder or iso the burn completes with a success message but the folder is empty or the iso cannot be found.

This seems to be a bug in Premiere elements.

If there is a problem there should be an error message not a success  message.

I am using Premiere Elements 13 on a Surface Pro 2 with plenty of disk space.

• 8. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

fkenn

The originator of this thread is using Premiere Elements 12. If you have ISO Image choice, you must be using Premiere Elements 13? And, you say that you are. What are you doing - Publish+Share/Disc DVD or AVCHD?

Using 13, please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and look at the problem with and without the Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher) preference disabled. Then let us know the outcome.

In Premiere Elements 13/13.1, the choice of AVCHD or Blu-ray ISO Image can be a poor one if the resulting .iso file  has a file size greater than 1 GB.

When that .iso file is taken to disc, the player does not recognize it.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

Let us see what results you get with the preference route for troubleshooting. I do not have any history on Premiere Elements 13 on Surface Pro 2, but I am not factoring that in or out right now.

Looking forward to learning of your results as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                          fkenn1999 Level 1

I am using PE 13 and it looks like the problem was not fixed from PE 12.

I am burning to an iso 4.7 GB image.

I disabled hardware acceleration but it did not make a difference.

I still get the message "Burn Complete", "Your files have been burned to an iso image" but the destination folder is empty.

I even tried searching my HD for iso images in case it was not in the destination folder but no luck.

• 10. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

fkenn1999

It sounds to me like you are getting your Timeline generated as .iso file being used as backup for a failed burn to disc (assumed DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc).

You must be referring to the burn to disc feature and not the iso image issue when you compare 12 and 13 since 12 has not ISO Image options.

If that is the case, what happens if you do the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)? Do you get a saved folder with OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder, and can you find that saved folder?

The Premiere Elements 13/13.1 burn to ISO Image has its problems even it is used as the primary purpose and not forced on you as a backup for a failed burn to disc. ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

Typically the 13 "cannot find" in your situation is fixed with disabling the preference cited. I did not. Let out try to sort things out by looking at the burn to folder (for now, for troubleshooting purposes).

Also, look at the burn to disc issue after you have deleted the contents of the Encoded Files Folder in the Adobe Folder. You can verify the location of the Encoded Files Folder using Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the Disc Encoding category.

We will be watching for your progress as your time permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                              fkenn1999 Level 1

I deleted the files in the encoded files folder and did a burn to folder or iso image with no success.

I was able to burn an iso image with a new project that contained one short video and that is all.

The original project was 7 minutes long and contained mixed images, videos and music. The videos were avi and mov.

On a side note I was able to burn an iso image on a different computer that has a DVD drive using the same PE 13 project using the same files, images, videos and music.

As mentioned before my current computer is a surface pro 2 which does not have a DVD drive.

• 12. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

fkenn1999

I recall you mentioned that your computer was a surface pro 2 but I did not realize that it did not have a DVD drive. Apparently it is possible to use at least a USB external burner.

using external cd/dvd/hd drive on surface pro - Microsoft Community

So in the absence of a DVD burner, this puts more focus on the burn to folder or to ISO Image. For troubleshooting purpose, I would stick with the burn to folder and then go back to look at burn to ISO Image after burn to folder is successful.

You say that you had success with a new project and burn to ISO Image. Can you repeat that success with a new and larger project. If yes and you needed to salvage the original project, I would start with looking at the properties of the .avi and .mov files used in that project. Avi and .mov are just file extensions. What do you have for video and audio compressions?

But, right now, please let me know if I am being prematurely optimistic about your workflow progress. At least with the new project, you were successful. Adding to that should define the extent of your success.

If you have not already, please read my comments to Dennis, the originator of this thread in order to determine if we have detoured passed some important considerations in your case.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                                  fkenn1999 Level 1

Success!

I succeeded in burning my 7 min. project consisting of various avi, mov, jpg and music files to an iso image.

As it turns out your advice for turning off hardware acceleration was the key.

When I originally turned off hardware acceleration it still did not work.

I was missing steps 2 and 3 below.

1. Turn off hardware acceleration (edit->preferences->general)

2. save the project

3. close and restart PE 13

My burn to iso settings were:

iso image 4.7

ntsc_dolby_dvd

fit contents to available space

Thanks for all your help.

• 14. Re: Burning to folder & DVD
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

fkenn

Great news. Great job. We are very pleased for your success.

Your follow up is very important, and we thank you for that.

Best wishes.

ATR