4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 8:55 PM by MissRiley

After Effects and Premiere Pro, Which do you use first?

MissRiley Level 1

Hi. I use premiere pro to edit my videos and now I am learning about after effects and removing blemishes with AE.

My question is, do I edit my audio, colors, etc. in premiere first then do after effects for blemishes or vice versa? I don't want to start and do it backwards. I hope it all works as planned. I am going to try the clone stamp tool, if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Thank you so much!!

• 1. Re: After Effects and Premiere Pro, Which do you use first?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In most cases the most efficient workflow is to edit in Premiere Pro, pick the shots where you need to add effects or compositing that you can't do in Premiere then use one of the following techniques:

1. For simple AE projects right click on the shot in Premiere Pro and select Replace with After Effects Composition
          2. For more complicated effects and compositing shots copy the shot in Premiere Pro and paste it into AE or render just the shot to a suitable frame based production format and import that into AE
          3. For very complicated shots pick the take and trim the shot in Premiere Pro leaving handles (a few extra frames on the head and tail) and render them to a 10bit or better production format for use in AE

When you have completed your work in AE if you have used step 1 then just save your work and go back to Premiere Pro. For the second and third option, render your AE comps to a suitable production format and import them to Premiere Pro where you will replace the original shots in the sequence.

Note: MP4, H.264 and other MPEG compressed formats are not suitable for production, only for delivery. Don't render your DI (digital intermediates) using these highly compressed formats.

• 2. Re: After Effects and Premiere Pro, Which do you use first?
            MissRiley Level 1

Thank you so much.

Unfortunately my raw files are MP4 and that is all I have to work with. Final products are 1080p MP4 H.264. The clips are just short clips that we sell to customers. People use whatever they want no need to be movie quality or anything.

• 3. Re: After Effects and Premiere Pro, Which do you use first?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE and Premiere Pro will handle MP4 as camera originals, you just don't want to use that compressed format for intermediate renders. If you are selling clips check out the stock footage companies. They do not deliver MPEG. Check out Getty Images specifications: Info - Getty Images

I'm just saying that if you are going to use a digital intermediate you should render, at the very least, to a production format.

You can deliver whatever you want but you'll sell more product, even if the original came from a DSLR or consumer camera, if you offer a production format. You shouldn't be int he business of selling clips to anyone unless you understand rendering, compression, frame rates, and formats.

• 4. Re: After Effects and Premiere Pro, Which do you use first?
                MissRiley Level 1

Thanks but that is all I have so it will have to do.