3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2007 1:01 PM by Dingleberry_Remover

Retrieving data from datababase

jryan76
      Hi. A begginers question I'm afraid.

I've just picked up Flex and am looking to integrate with an existing Access database for starters. The application I need to build needs to be a list of nodes representing a different user on a network. When certain events occur the status of node will change depending on the event. It will simply change colour to start with but users will be able to drill down into more detail to check activity on their 'node' (after more work on my part that is).

Is Flex the right product to be using for an application such as this? Is it possible to integrate with an Access database to start with and could anyone point me to a good tutorial for retrieving data from an external source?

Sorry if this is all a bit vague and thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Retrieving data from datababase
          187_2007
          Do a search on this forum for:

<mx:RemoteObject>
          OR
          <mx:HttpService>
          • 2. Re: Retrieving data from datababase
            187_2007 Level 1
            Do a search on this forum for:

<mx:RemoteObject>
            OR
            <mx:HttpService>
            • 3. Re: Retrieving data from datababase
              Dingleberry_Remover
              If you're looking to retrieve and present data then flex is a very well suited for such a project. Accessing an access database should be simple enough with a webservice. I have created one with microsoft's free c# compiler and their free version of sqlexpress with relative ease. The nodes representing users on a network sounds like something that would be much better suited to using an application like Red5 or Flex Data Services. I've never used FDS so I can't comment on that, but I was able to integrate a simple video chat example from a Red5 tutorial into one of the Content Management Systems I created . Doing a google search for any of the programs mentioned here should get you going in the right direction.