7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 7:17 AM by gvb279

Focal point display

FWG99 Level 1

My camera (Canon 5D mk III) shows the focus points in the review screen which is useful. Is there any way of those points being shown when the photo is viewed either in LR or PS?. I have the latest versions of both as I subscribe to Creative Cloud.

• 1. Re: Focal point display
          gvb279 Level 3

You could use this plugin.

http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/

• 2. Re: Focal point display
            FWG99 Level 1

Thanks for this reply -it is exactly what I want. I noticed that several people have ridiculed this plug in as not needed etc.

To them I would say that with experience comes a lesser need to have help (in any form) but relative new comers will only get to the standard where help is not needed by getting help along the way!

In this case I now know that I have a tendency to aim my focal points low in the frame so for example this is one of the causes of the eyes in my portraits being slightly "unsharp" and some moving subjects to have sharper foreground details than the main subject. I thought my panning action was at fault but I was actually focused on the fence not the horse!

I can now work on that part of my technique.

Relating to a couple of comments - yes the latest Canon software does have the facility but it involves opening a separate program and is not as user friendly as the LR solution.

Thanks again for the reply - this is what forums are all about.

• 3. Re: Focal point display
              gvb279 Level 3

If you find it useful, and it helps you, use it. Personally, the opinions of others don't influence me, if it's useful to me, then I'll use it. Just be aware that if you use Back Button (AF ON) focusing, you will need to keep it depressed whilst pressing the shutter button, otherwise the 'focus points used' will not register in the image file.

• 4. Re: Focal point display
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

gvb279 wrote:

Just be aware that if you use Back Button (AF ON) focusing, you will need to keep it depressed whilst pressing the shutter button, otherwise the 'focus points used' will not register in the image file.

Also keep in mind the primary purpose of using the Back Button (AF ON) mode is to allow locking the focus on a different area and then repositioning the camera. Because of this the "actual" focus area is indeterminate.

• 5. Re: Focal point display
                  gvb279 Level 3

I am fully conversant with the use of the Back Button (AF ON), but thanks anyway.

• 6. Re: Focal point display
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome, but my reply was directed to the OP FWG99. In Fact Back Button AF may be a good way for the OP to achieve more selective focusing. I have my Canon 5D MKII set to use Back Button AF with only the center point selected. You can use center point focus lock with half-shutter depression, but this may cause metering errors if the camera is repositioned since the exposure is also locked. More here:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

• 7. Re: Focal point display
                      gvb279 Level 3

Thanks for the link, but I read this some time ago. I separated focusing from the shutter button some years ago, used in conjunction with the multi controller to manipulate the position of the AF Point/s.

My comment to the OP referred to it's use and the "Focus Point Plugin"

P.S. To reply to the OP, you should use the "reply" in the OPs post.