7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2015 7:02 PM by CR Henderson

Is the Apple Photostream an import option with OS X 10.10.3 for Lightroom import? [was: Mac OSX 10.3]

howie&lynn Level 1

I Have a Mac Book Pro mid 2014.    OS X 10.10.3 is available for install.    It includes changes to Apple Photo Apps.  There are discussions about integration with Lightroom.   I have Lightroom mobile installed on my Mac.    In OS X 10.10.2  ICloud Photostream is available in iPhoto as an iCloud import.  It is not available in Lightroom import.  Photo stream iCloud photos, in IPhoto, can be dragged to folders which are available to  Lightroom import.  Is the Apple Photostream an import option with OS X 10.10.3 for Lightroom import?  I am waiting till the dust settles before installing 10.10.3, an old Microsoft habit I picked through the many years of great grief.

• 1. Re: Mac OSX 10.3
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no change in respect to this. Lightroom does not import from the iCloud Photo Stream. If you want your images from your mobile devices in Lightroom, you can do what I do and that is use the Lightroom Mobile app. It will upload any images from my iPhone to Adobe's Cloud and they show up automatically on my computer in Lightroom. You can also upload images from a photo stream there. You do need a Creative Cloud account for that though but I am pretty sure it works with non-paying adobe ID accounts too if you have no subscription to CC : Get started with Lightroom mobile | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom tutorials .

I love Apple but they do keep their universe quite closed unfortunately and using things like the photo stream outside of Apple apps is virtually impossible.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mac OSX 10.3

Oh : just read down to where it says:

Note: If you don't already have a Creative Cloud Photography or complete membership, your free 30-day trial for Lightroom mobile will start when you begin syncing photos.

Unfortunately apparently you need a paid CC membership to use Lightroom Mobile.

P.S. you really want to upgrade to 10.10.3 as a really major security flaw was fixed in that that was really nasty.

• 3. Re: Mac OSX 10.3
              howie&lynn Level 1

Jao vdl, thanks for your help.   I have a monthly annual subscription to Adobe CC.   And I have LR and PS installed on my Mac Book Pro.    I am using OS X 10.10.2.   Photo stream iCloud photos do not show up automatically on my Mac Book Pro.   I have to drag them from iPhoto library into folders which are available to  LightRoom Mobile import.   What folder, available in Lightroom Import function,  is Photostream available for import?

Howie

• 4. Re: Mac OSX 10.3

There is no way to import from the iCloud photo stream in Lightroom except what you did above which is exporting the files from iPhoto or Photos to a folder from which you import. What I suggested above is to set up Lightroom mobile on your iOS or Android devices. Set it up to ingest new photos from your photo roll on your device. Then you can auto-import images to Lightroom on your Desktop by opening LR mobile on your mobile device circumventing the iCloud photo sharing altogether and completely avoiding iPhoto/Photos if you want the images from your phone or pad device in Lightroom. The link I put in above shows how to do that. This unfortunately does not make it easier to get images from somebody else phone like in a shared family stream. Lightroom unfortunately does not integrate with the iCloud stream thing at all.

• 5. Re: Is the Apple Photostream an import option with OS X 10.10.3 for Lightroom import? [was: Mac OSX 10.3]
                  MarkSD

Is Lightroom able to import from iCloud Photos?   If you have your iPhones set to use iCloud Photos and optimize storage on the iPhone, and don't want to utilize Create Cloud, what is the recommended way to periodically import full resolution photos into Lightroom? 

• 6. Re: Is the Apple Photostream an import option with OS X 10.10.3 for Lightroom import? [was: Mac OSX 10.3]

If you don't want to use the creative cloud on your phone the only way is to do it manually from Apple Photos by doing a "show originals" from photos and dragging those into Lightroom. Lightroom cannot directly read photos from the iCloud stream.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Is the Apple Photostream an import option with OS X 10.10.3 for Lightroom import? [was: Mac OSX 10.3]
                      CR Henderson Level 3

Prior to the move to the Photos app it was relatively easy to set up an Automator action to copy PhotoStream images from the iLifeManagement subsystem to another folder and have them automatically imported into LR via LR's Auto-Import function.  This worked very well for LR 4,5 and CC--until I updated all of my iOS Devices to use the Photos system at which point it failed because new Photo Stream images no longer arrive in the iLifeManagement folders.

The switch to the Photos app obsoleted the iLifeManagement subsystem and now the photos are stored in a db: Photos Library.photoslibrary which can usually be found in the Users/<user>/Pictures folder.  The location of the db is also shown in the Photos Preferences under the General tab.

Until Apple or someone comes up with a way to glean new photos from the db using LR Mobile or the drag-n-drop method is about all that's left.