9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 1:14 AM by TᴀW

Two-way document (ME)

ElishevaH Level 1

I am paginating a document which is mostly in Hebrew - right to left. But I need the table of contents to be in English also, at the end of my right-to-left document, so that when the document is printed, on the left-to-right beginning of the document, there is the English table of contents.

When I place the English table of contents text, it is placed as a story that begins where the Hebrew right-to-left text ends. I want to be able to place the (long) table of contents in one go, so that it goes "backwards" - that it should begin on what would end up as the last page of the whole (right-to-left Hebrew) document and end on the page after the Hebrew text ends. It would be as if I'm placing a story in the document that goes backwards. Is there a way to do this?

If not, how would one create a book that has right-to-left text running from the right side of the cover and left-to-right text running from the left side of the cover - meeting somewhere in the middle of the book?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Two-way document (ME)
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can we assume that you are using the ME edition of InDesign? If so, you can make paragraph or character styles where the language is specified. If the paragraph is set to be Hebrew and the text direction is Default then the text will flow RTL. If you make an English character style and apply it to English text in a Hebrew paragraph, then those English words will flow LTR while the paragraph still aligns correctly.

I could describe more possibilities but the message is the same - if you have the ME edition you can control alignment separately from character direction by specifying language, direction, and alignment in the styles. If you don't have the ME edition (or you aren't using styles) it's far more complicated.

• 2. Re: Two-way document (ME)
            ElishevaH Level 1

I am using ME edition.

I understand what you're saying. But the difference what you're suggesting will make is that the text will simply be aligned differently. In my document, I need there to be two beginnings to the document - right-to-left text from the right side of the printed book and left-to-right text from the left side of the book.

• 3. Re: Two-way document (ME)
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Add as many blank pages as you need for the English TOC at the end of the book.

Generate the TOC.

Start placing the TOC from the last page backwards towards the front of the book. To do this, with the TOC loaded in the place gun, alt-click the top margin of the last page, then alt-click the top margin of the previous page, etc.

• 4. Re: Two-way document (ME)
                ElishevaH Level 1

What do you mean by "Generate the TOC"? What is "Generate?" Sorry, I am not from an English speaking country.

• 5. Re: Two-way document (ME)

ElishevaH wrote:

What do you mean by "Generate the TOC"? What is "Generate?" Sorry, I am not from an English speaking country.

With nothing selected, Layout>Table of Contents>OK

You should now have the cursor loaded with the TOC (table of contents), and can start placing it by alt-clicking.

• 6. Re: Two-way document (ME)
                    ElishevaH Level 1

And also - according to this, I have to place the text that is "backwards" one page at a time? And also - why do I need to press on the alt when I click?. What you're saying works without the alt.

• 7. Re: Two-way document (ME)

Yes, one page at a time. If you autoflow, InDesign will flow forwards,

not backwards.

Alt-clicking loads up the cursor ready for the next page. Without it,

you have to keep loading it up by clicking the out-port of the text frame.

Alt-clicking is more efficient in this case.

• 8. Re: Two-way document (ME)
                        ElishevaH Level 1

OK. We didn't learn about Layout>Table of Contents in college. I've never seen that window before. I'll have to read up about it.

Thanks for telling me about it.

• 9. Re: Two-way document (ME)

You don't have to use InDesign's TOC feature. If you've got your TOC already typed out manually, it makes no difference to the solution I'm describing. The point is to put the first text frame on the last page, and then start threading backwards through the book, either manually or semi-automatically (with the alt-key).

It can get a little confusing to work with, to be honest. So sometimes I just create a new file for the Hebrew section, and then combine the two files in Acrobat. However, this does require reversing the page order in Acrobat, and there's no built-in way of doing that, so I use a little script for that. So either way it's somewhat fiddly a process.