5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 7:48 AM by A.T. Romano

How can I render a video with PE12 including a transparent alpha channel?

Lutzzz Level 1

I want to create a video with PE12 that has a transparent alpha channel – to use this video as an animated logo on transparent background in other videos.

I tried everything I found, including different video formats (like mp4, mov, mwv) and encoding settings - nothing workes ...

So I hope someone here can help me!

I can't upgrade to Premiere Pro because this is too complicated and I have no time to start learning everthing from zero again ...

I can't believe that there is no way with PE to do so ...

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How can I render a video with PE12 including a transparent alpha channel?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lutzzz

In much older versions of Premiere Elements, the export maintaining transparency had limited but more than one choice.

The only way I know how to export the Premiere Elements Timeline and maintain transparency in the export is to use specifically

In Your Case

Premiere Elements 12/12.1

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9 for your HD project

Then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, customize the preset.

The keys to success include:

Video Codec = Animation

Depth = 32 bit

If you need assistance with project and export settings other than that, please let me know, and I will

post detailed how to based on your details.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can I render a video with PE12 including a transparent alpha channel?
            Lutzzz Level 1

Dear ATR,

thanks for your quick response!

Unfortunately, these settings don't work ;((

Does it matter which frame rate I chose? I let the default = 29,97 ...

Or if half frame is set to "upper first", "lower first" oder "progressive"?

Or relation (I let the default = D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121))?

Or "render mix max. depth"?

keyframe = 1 Frames

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong when importing the rendered result file in the next project?

I now just take the file and pull it with "drag & drop" into the cutting window of the next PE project.

Do I have to do some special settings before using the rendered file with the transpacency alpha channel?

Again: thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: How can I render a video with PE12 including a transparent alpha channel?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lutzzz

Let us assume that you have a 1920 x 1080i30 project whose Timeline content includes transparency in file(s) and you want to maintain that transparency  in the export.

QuickTime (latest version installed), running programs as administrator.

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9 for your HD project

Now under the Advanced Tab/Video Tab of that preset, it should look like this

Animation.JPG

Please set exactly as above

The essentials are you have set for Video Codec = Animation and the Depth = 32 bit. No check mark next to "Render at Maximum Depth".

I just did a run through to go with that screenshot, and the transparency in my Timeline was maintained in the Animation.mov export.

This also worked if the export setting looked like the following (interlaced instead of progressive)

AnimationUpper.JPG

Please give this another try. If it still does not work, then please supply details of your Timeline content, especially that with the transparency.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I render a video with PE12 including a transparent alpha channel?
                Lutzzz Level 1

Dear ATR,

thanks again!!!

It's working now - so maybe it was the different aspect settings or something that was the problem

Again: thank you very much!!!

Kind regards,

Lutz

• 5. Re: How can I render a video with PE12 including a transparent alpha channel?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lutz

Thanks for the follow up. We are glad that you were able to maintain the Timeline transparency in your Premiere Elements export.

Great job sorting through the troubleshooting suggestion.

Please do not hesitate to ask if questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR