12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 6:14 AM by Eugene Tyson

How to set auto backup as like quark express

kamal panda

Hi,

I want to know how to set auto backup opening files in InDesign 6 as like quark express

• 1. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Can you describe what this function is doing, maybe that something exists. I am not working with DTP cheese edition.

• 2. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
            kamal panda Level 1

Dear sir,

We use license version of InDesign 6. Recently we shifted from Quark

Express to InDesign. In Quark Express there is a option to Auto Save and*

Auto Backup* of opening files, it should create backup temporary files in a

destination folder as we specified and it keep revisions itself. This

option is very useful to us. Please tell us how to set this option.

One more thing i.e. when press Ctrl+B to bold some text it should take a

moment to execute this function.

• 3. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
              Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

InDesign automatically backs itself up with a second copy while you work. It is not a version backup mechanism. You might try searching for a plugin for InDesign called Radish. It creates versions automatically. Not sure if it works for CS6, tho.

Ctrl+B for Bold is a deprecated practice from the 1980s. Try using a Bold Character Style from here on out. With everything you build, lean heavily on Paragraph and Character Styles for dressing your text.

Think of Paragraph Styles as all the attributes that apply to the whole paragraph in general.

Think of Character Styles as smaller portions of individualized attributes such as Bold, Italic, etc. for the occasional word or phrase within the general paragraph style that needs to look different from the general look.

• 4. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express

InDesign restores everything after a crash.

Versioning was removed aw hile ago, now you should set it up on OS or computer level or use a cloud service like dropbox which offers such functionality.

For formatting use Paragraph Styles, for exceptions use Character styles. It is a no-go to make a font bold, it must be done via styles. I think it is a problem with Quark documents that people bolded with the B button their text, this caused false styles and did no semantic styling which would not allow to create PDF/UA documents.

Paragraph and Character Styles are completely different in InDesign than in Quark. In InDesign every font property is defined in a paragraph style. Character Styles are only used for exceptions and only the different properties are defined. E.g. if you have black text and want some words or letters to be red the InDesign Character style would define only the property character color to red, everything else would remain empty. So you could apply the same character style to text with different paragraph styles with different fonts and sizes. In Quark you would have to set up a different character style for each paragraph style.

• 5. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
                  MW Design Level 4

One more thing i.e. when press Ctrl+B to bold some text it should take a

moment to execute this function.

ctrl+shift+b uses the bold variant if the font in use has one, at least on Windows. Else it does nothing. I still use character styles to set bold, though. Same in QXP, I never really use the button nor the keyboard command to bold or italicize text. Even though below the button in QXP there will be a warning symbol if the bold attribute will be a faux style, a best practice has always been to use character styles.

Do not depend on ID's restoring a publication if there is a crash. I rarely have the ability to restore if I hang or crash. Use incremental filenames using Save As after substantial changes are made. Use software to back these up, use a dropbox folder using its sync or the like.

Mike

• 6. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express

I use often the ISO date type at the end of the file name to version it, as it will be ordered alphabetically like YYYY-MM-DD-hh-mm as it would be now 2015-04-20-08-23

• 7. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are scripts around, that would do a copy of your file every time you save. One of it is by Martin Fischer and posted on the German forum of www.hilfdirselbst.ch called "saveVersions.jsx". It's a startup script. I am using this script with all my versions of InDesign from CS4 to CC-2014.2. However it's not time-based, saving after an interval, but only if you do a Save or a Save As to the document.

Uwe

• 8. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
                        kamal panda Level 1

This is quark express Preference dialog box.

I want to know how to use Auto Save and Auto Backup option in InDesign 6.

This option is so useful for us.

• 9. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
                          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It could be scripted, but there is no built-in way of creating timed auto-backups in InDesign.

• 11. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
                            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right -- but it would need some (fairly minor) modifications to run at fixed time-intervals.

• 12. Re: How to set auto backup as like quark express
                              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It says on script that it saves a version with every CMD S - if you're saving regularly then it should autobackup.

Golden rule, save every five minutes.

Alternatively, if you could modify that script to that it would be fairly magnificent!