5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 1:51 AM by Peter Spier

Paragraph style conversion

c kim Level 1

Is there a way to convert a "forced line break" in a paragraph style to an "em dash" when generating a table of contents... see attached

Conversion.jpg

• 1. Re: Paragraph style conversion
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

This appears to be a question about use of InDesign, not “print design” per sé.

I am moving this to the InDesign forums where someone might be able to better assist you with this question.

- Dov

• 2. Re: Paragraph style conversion
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Only by using Fin/dChange after the TOC is generated, or by setting up "tags" -- non-printing paragraphs with the text formatted as you want it to appear in the TOC instead of the ones with the line breaks.

• 3. Re: Paragraph style conversion
              c kim Level 1

Hello Peter, and "thanks" for your response... The "Find/Change" option is what I've been doing to this point, and I'd like to try the "tags" option that you're suggesting. How exactly does that work?

• 4. Re: Paragraph style conversion
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

In such cases I use cross references instead of the TOC function to build up a toc.

Or I set up an invisible paragraph with the text as it should appear in the TOC, character color none (during work a visible color), small size.

The visible part of the Headline is drawn via variables out of the invisible headline.

The TOC takes the information from the invisible paragraph style.

• 5. Re: Paragraph style conversion
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When doing "tags" I use either a separate layer set to non-printing, or a separate text frame (which can be anchored to the text flow) and then set that frame to non-printing in the Attributes panel. I then create a unique paragraph style for the paragraphs in the tag frames to pick them up in the TOC. I tend to make the text in these frames big and red so I can be sure it stands out in normal view.