9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2015 10:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Burned DVD won't play???

Haddy1979

I have spent a draining month creating an important DVD of video and still photos, in hopes of giving them as much anticipated/appreciated gifts.  However, I am experiencing difficulty burning a copy to a DVD that will play in BOTH a computer and a separate DVD player connected to a TV.  Is it possible to do a combo instead of just a web DVD for a computer or a DVD for other players?  Please help.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
          A.T. Romano Level 7

haddy

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are you creating - DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc?

If you cannot do a burn to disc DVD VIDEO on DVD disc, can you do a burn to folder, taking the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD with ImgBurn?

If you cannot do a burn to disc AVCHD on DVD disc, can you do a burn to folder, taking the BDMV from the saved folder to AVCHD on DVD disc with ImgBurn?

Let us start here. The information asked for should help sort of the details and lead to problem resolution.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
            Haddy1979 Level 1

Thanks for your quick response - I really appreciate your attempt to assist.

Using Elements 11 and Windows 8.1 on a newer laptop.

I imported video and still photos onto a timeline and "published and shared" the video by burning to a "DVD disc" in hopes that it could play on both external DVD players and computers; however, it will not play on any computer.  Another option is the "Web DVD"; however, it will then only play on computers and I want to have both options available for people, naturally.

Further thoughts???

• 3. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
              Haddy1979 Level 1

Just to clarify...the burned DVD WILL play on a separate DVD player/gaming console connected to a TV, but NOT on a computer.  Assuming that this is because it was not burned in the "Web DVD" format? 

• 4. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
                A.T. Romano Level 7

haddy1979

Thanks for the reply.

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Good new, your Premiere Elements 11 DVD VIDEO on DVD is playable on your TV's DVD player.

The reason it is not playable on the computer, probably relates to Microsoft and the Windows Media Player in Windows 8.1 64 bit.

There is a problem with Microsoft support for MPEG2 compression as well as with DVD-VIDEO on DVD playback Windows Media Player.

Please look at the following players for your computer playback of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

VLC player

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Media Classic Player - HC

https://mpc-hc.org/

It is my recollection that, using these players, you will get your DVD-VIDEO with menus on DVD playback.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...WebDVD is really a flash file with menus whose folder can be played back on the computer with Firefox or Internet Explorer.

• 5. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
                  Haddy1979 Level 1

Not sure why this was "rejected", but here it is again...

Thanks for your thoughts.

So unless a user's computer has a compatible player, such as VLC player or Media Classic Player - HC, then they may not be able to play it???  My concern is that I can't expect those who receive my DVD to have anything outside of the standard players, so it seems that I'm stuck...

This is so frustrating and defeating...

• 6. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
                    Haddy1979 Level 1

Thanks for your thoughts.

So unless a user's computer has a compatible player, such as VLC player or Media Classic Player - HC, then they may not be able to play it???  My concern is that I can't expect those who receive my DVD to have anything outside of the standard players, so it seems that I'm stuck...

This is so frustrating and defeating...

• 7. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Haddy1979

Thanks for the reply.

The Microsoft's Windows Media Player support for DVD-VIDEO is just Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit. Do you know what computer operating system your viewers have?

These are free players.

Just to double check that we have hit the key factor here, why not download and install the Media Class Player HC on your computer and determine if you can playback your DVD-VIDEO with menus on DVD disc and how easy or difficult that would be for your viewers.

Never give up.

ATR.

• 8. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
                        Haddy1979 Level 1

While I appreciate your optimism, I can't direct all of my viewers to download additional viewing software to view a basic DVD?!?  Not possible.  There has to be something else.  I can't be the only one encountering this issue.

• 9. Re: Burned DVD won't play???
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Haddy1979

Playback of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc on computer is a known Microsoft issue when it comes to Windows 8 and 8.1 64 bit. Please check out

DVD playback options for Windows - Windows Help

This is not a Premiere Elements export format issue. This is a Microsoft Player issue.

When you have a version of Premiere Elements that has the webDVD feature, you could consider determining how many of your viewers can handle getting playback of that from the Firefox or Internet Explorer browser. The folder can be applied to a DVD disc as a data disc, and your viewers can try to play it back from the folder using Firefox or Internet Explorer. I do not believe it will work if you just burn to disc the Play_webDVD.html inside the folder and try to play that outside the folder.

Please consider, and we can discuss this further if you want in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR