7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2007 2:34 PM by demetriusmcclain

Actionscript assistance needed to complete site

demetriusmcclain Level 1
      I forgot the site that allows you to load the swf file so that anyone in the forum can view it to expedite the assistance process. If someone can be so kind as to tell me, I can post the swf file.

OK there are two problems that I am experiencing. One is when I click on cat or elephants ( because those are actually the only two buttons I have fixed to work) everything works fine. However when I click on home afterwards it goes back to home but the photogallery from which ever one I clicked (elephants or cats) is now viewable on the home page.

The second problem is how do I get the thumbnail button to show in the large box to the right when i click one of the thumbnail buttons. I know some actionscript but don't know how I would go about doing that. Again I know it will be difficult to assist me without seeing the swf file so I'll be waiting for someone to send that site so that I can post it for your help. I really need this as soon as possible because this site is for a client.

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Actionscript assistance needed to complete site
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you'll get more help if you post your fla. search google for free web hosting services and upload your fla to one of them yahoo/geocities is popular.
          • 2. Re: Actionscript assistance needed to complete site
            demetriusmcclain Level 1
            www.geocities.com/demetriusmcclain

I couldn't get it to display as a normal site so you have to select the swf file or you can open the fla file. In any case the files are there. My issue is as stated before. When you click on cats or elephants and then try to go back to home the scrolling thumbnail is still viewable. I suppose you can open the fla file and look as the actions layer and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Secondly, I need actionscript that will allow the buttons in the scrolling thumbnail to be viewable in the window to the right when you click on the button.
            • 3. Re: Actionscript assistance needed to complete site
              here's your correct fla:

www.gladstien.com/new/essenceofarts.fla

p.s. to enable buttons in your thumbnails (external swfs) you need to edit your external swfs

p.p.s. you might consider another name for your fla.
              • 4. Re: Actionscript assistance needed to complete site
                demetriusmcclain Level 1
                I want you to know that I appreciate your assistance. However, the cats and elephant photogallery don't show now when I click the perspective buttons. I see you added the _root.container_mc.unloadMovie(); which I assume will keep the movie from playing on the home page. That works. But I think it also disabled the movies from playing when the button for that page is clicked.

I understand that the actionscript to allow the photo on the button to appear will have to be on the external file. My problem is I don't know how to go about writing the script. Think of it this way. You are yoda as far as I'm concerned and I'm more like luke skywalker in empire strikes back. My level of knowledge isn't there yet. I have a comprehensive working knowledge. If someone wrote a script. I would understand everything in that script. But to write a script I only know the basics. Here is an example of what I'm trying to accomplish

http://www.samsung.com/

See the three buttons with the movieclips in them? When you rollOver one of them (let's say the first one because the movieclip and the picture are both the same) another movieClip plays in back of it. I want to know what the script for that would be.

The name for this fla was not mine. I didn't like it either when the client brought it to me. I tried to get him to change the name of the site, but he's the boss cause he's paying me to do this.

Again appreciate your assistance. Hope we can resolve this soon.

• 5. Re: Actionscript assistance needed to complete site
                  demetriusmcclain Level 1
                  Disrecard the first part of my last post. You fixed the problem. I wasn't looking at what I was doing. It works perfectly. Now if we can get the script for the buttons. Thanx again
                  • 6. Re: Actionscript assistance needed to complete site
                    what do you mean by "...it also disabled the movies from playing..."?

the thumbnails scroll in response to the mouse. otherwise, i didn't notice anything else going on.

the only changes i made were to make your container movieclips all have the same name (i stopped at erotic, so you need to change giraffe foreward) and add the unloadMovie() statement.

the samsung site uses some _alpha transparency and blur filter on the movieclips that move into position after a button rollover.
                    • 7. Re: Actionscript assistance needed to complete site
                      demetriusmcclain Level 1
                      You're right you fixed the problem. I must have posted my second comment to disreguard what I was saying about that after you started answering. So we have that one problem fixed.

What I still need is the actionscript to make the thumbnails appear in the box or square with the easle on top. (AND YES I DO REMEMBER I HAVE TO PLACE THE CODE ON THE EXTERNAL MOVIECLIP: )