12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 8:05 PM by grandad 68

How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?

Quirlo Level 1

I am just building my photo and video catalog. I have a family name structure with Albums.

First I Export an Event from my iPhoto database to a folder on my hard drive.

Then I import the folder to Adobe. In most cases the dates from the photos and videos are not imported correctly.

So I correct the dates manually in Adobe.

Then I move on to the next event. And so on.

When I return to folder I have already corrected, I find that the dates have changed.

Over and over I play this cat and mouse game.

What am I doing wrong. Something must make Adobe change the dates again?

Please Help.

Thenk you

Harald

• 1. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
          Quirlo Level 1

Here's a  screen shot I just made of one of the files.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-20 um 15.25.01.png

After changing the date to : 1889 . Adobe changed it to 01.01.1970 00:59

• 2. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Quirlo

What version of Elements Organizer and on what computer operating system?

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
              Quirlo Level 1

Hallo ATR,

ich verwende Adobe Elements Photoshop und Premiere Elements Version 13.

Mein Computer ist ein iMac (27 Zoll, Ende 2012), das Betriebssystem OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2

Vielen Dank für die Unterstützung

Harald

• 4. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Harald

Thanks for the additional information.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user and am working on your question using my Elements Organizer 13/13.1. Have you updated Premiere Elements 13, Photoshop Elements 13, Elements Organizer 13 to 13.1 yet. If not, please do so using an opened Premiere Elements 13 project's Help Menu/Updates.

Right now focus is on 1889 vs 1870 date....

Since I do not have Mac computer which would include iPhoto, I cannot factor in or out iPhoto in this issue. These are my results when I look at the date time of a photo imported into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1

Note: Date and Time taken is as shown under

Information/Complete

Metadata/Date Created 10/8/2014 6:12 PM.

Camera Data (EXIF)

Date Time Original 10/8/2014 6:12 PM

and

Under thumbnail

10/8/2014 6:12 PM

It looks like

Organizer13dates.JPG

If I right click the thumbnail and select Adjust Date Time

datetime2.JPG

Then I get

datetime3.JPG

Where

Information/Complete

Metadata/Date Created 10/8/2014 6:12 PM (Same As Before)

Camera Data (EXIF)

Date Time Original changed to 3/18/1889

and

Under thumbnail

changed to 3/18/1889 6:12 PM

I am not getting any incidences of the 1889 date turning into an 1870 date. Right now I am just concentrating on these dates and not getting into the Dates Modified, Digitized or the like. Besides the month date order of the dates, I am not sure if there is any significance between the month day year separated by . rather than /

I am not sure where it would be for Elements Organizer 13 Mac, but, if you can find it, delete or disable the Elements Organizer setting file which has the name psa.prf. In Windows, it is found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                  Quirlo Level 1

I just renamed the file spa.prf to spa.prfOLD,

I found a rename app in the app Store. It copies the EXIF Camera date to the creation date of the file.

I checked and the files I had renamed were good.

The date I used was Jan. 1, 1936

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-22 um 14.20.31.png

The I started the Organizer an Imported the photo

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-22 um 14.24.55.png

Next I started Adobe Revel and looked at the picture:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-22 um 14.32.01.png

Then I check the organizer and:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-22 um 14.32.58.png

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-22 um 14.34.25.png

• 6. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                    Quirlo Level 1

On a different photo in the same folder I find this file:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-22 um 14.41.46.png

A date way in the future.

The same picture in the Organizer:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-22 um 14.43.45.png

• 7. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Quirlo

Thanks for the follow up. More about your latest results later.

For now, have you seen and gone to the Elements Organizer Mac preferences in the following documents?

Preference file locations | Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements

I am not sure about

I just renamed the file spa.prf to spa.prfOLD,

I am not sure if your Mac spa.prf is the counterpart of my Windows psa.prf.

What happens if you create a new catalog - Elements Organizer File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager?

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                        Quirlo Level 1

Hello ATR,

I checked the MAC LIBRARY. There is a counter part of the spa.pf file. After I renamed the existing one, Elements Organizer created a new one.

I also created a new catalog with no problems.

Apple just stopped using iPhoto and they have a new Application called "Foto" (in Germany)

Again, I have renamed the spa.pf file. I will use a new catalog and export the 1889 Folder and see what dates are exported.

Next I will import the folder to Elements Organizer 13 - New Catalog.

After that I will let you know what happened.

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions. Thank you!

Harald

• 9. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Harald

Thanks for the update.

The new Elements Organizer settings file (psa.prf) and new Elements Organizer catalog are the only suggestions that I have for now.

If they do not resolve the issue, then I will need to rethink the situation. Looking forward to your results.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                            grandad 68

I have the same problem with photos. I change the date using the "File" sub menu and it changes then without doing anything else the date changes back.

I have also tried changing the date in the edit metadata screen - same problem

Is this a bug in Elements 13.1 as it seems a new problem to me?

Adobe where are you?

• 11. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

grandad 68

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. The frequency of appearance of Adobe Staff and Premiere Elements Help Team in this Premiere Elements Forum (video editing) is undefined. Adobe support seems to be focused on online Adobe Chat for the current version. With all that being said, we are here to help you with your troubleshooting, if you want that. Depending on your program and on the details of your situation, you may want to take advantage of the specialized expertise in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum (photo editing).

1. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and its Elements Organizer 13/13.1 running?

2. Have you read through the entire thread and been there and done that on comments and suggestions made?

3. Have you been using a version of Premiere Elements earlier than 13/13.1 and not run into this problem before?

Please review the above, consider, supply more details, and then we can decide what next based on the details/examples in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: How do I keep Adobe Premiere Elements organizer from changing the dates of my elements?
                                grandad 68 Level 1

Thanks for the prompt response

To answer the questions

1 I am using Elements 13.1 on a Hp laptop running Windows 7

2 I am a long time user of Elements back to version 8

3 I have not had this problem until recently (couple of weeks)

4  I have read through the thread

5 I have conducted many tests using different variables

5.1 eg change date using the file sub menu and the photo moves to that date in the sequence . Click on photo and check date all ok. Click on another photo. Check and the first photo is back to the original date and resequenced to its original position.

Note this process of file menu etc has worked for many years.

5.2 change date in the information section. Same result - it changes back.

5.3 tried closing PSE and reopening - same result.

6 I have abt 17k photos in PSE.

To my old IT brain it appears that it is not writing the change to the file.

An associated issue in PSE 13 is confusion between keywords and people.

I have moved to people rather than keyword tags. No matter how many times I remove the tags, clear the IPTC, delete the keyword some of them keep coming back when I reopen the file. Once again it seems that the changes are not being written to the file.

The photos I am working on have been scanned hence the need to change the dates.

One workaround is to change the file name to incorporate the year and view by file name in Adobe Revel. That would at least give me historical sequencing by year.

Thanks