2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 10:08 AM by sarahe36369014

How do I upgrade my Lightroom?

sarahe36369014

Hi there,

I currently have Lightroom 3 installed on my Macbook Pro 2012 (as well as still having the CD somewhere)!  I was just looking to purchase Lightroom 5 but somebody told me that I should "upgrade" instead.  I have no idea how to go about this so any help would be much appreciated!

Also, I wondered if Lightroom 5 has layers or if I should buy Elements as well or instead of?  Any insight would be great!

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I upgrade my Lightroom?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can purchase Lightroom as an upgrade for a reduced cost from the following website:

Products

Lightroom does not use layers. For layers and other tasks that are more easily done using a pixel editor you will probably need Photoshop Elements or Photoshop. Lightroom works very well with either one of those programs. Lightroom itself does not make changes to the image file. All adjustments are stored in the Lightroom catalog and applied to the Lightroom preview images. So if you need layers and other tasks that make permanent changes to the files you will need to add Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

• 2. Re: How do I upgrade my Lightroom?
            sarahe36369014 Level 1

Thank you JimHess. :-)