• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to edit PDF files in Adobe Acrobat DC

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am unable to edit a file in adobe acrobat dc i have tried with multiple files and everytime i click edit pdf it get a pop up that says adobe acrobat dc has encountered an unknown error however i have been able to edit a few pdf's i tried everything from re downloading a new file to saving it in acrobat reader and nothing is working please help

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Hi imadb52420762‌‌,

We have a workaround for this problem. Hopefully it will work in your scenario.

Print the PDF using "Adobe PDF". Edit this newly created PDF instead of the original one.

Steps:

1. Go to File -> Print. (Ctrl + P)

2. Select "Adobe PDF" as the printer.

3. Click Print. Save to any desired location when prompted.

4. Open the new PDF.

5. Edit.

Let me know if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi imadb,

It sounds like you're opening your PDF files in Acrobat Reader DC, which doesn't allow you to edit PDF files (that requires Acrobat Pro or Standard). When you click Edit PDF in the right column, you should be prompted to subscribe to Acrobat Pro DC, if you haven't already (I don't see an Acrobat subscription tied to the Adobe ID that you use here in the forums).

You do mention that you've been able to edit a few PDFs. Can you please tell me how you are editing those? Are you adding comments, or clicking the Edit PDF option in the right column?

If you continue to receive errors in Reader, you may consider reinstalling it. However, will you still need an active Acrobat subscription (or the classic--non-subscription--version of Acrobat to edit files).

Best,

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello sara

i am opening pdf files in dc and i do click edit pdf in the right column i am subscribed under the free 30 day trial to see how your software works with my buisness needs i tried repairing the software and i have been able to edit a few pdfs using the right hand column as well but for the some i have trouble with i am getting the error no matter what i do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi imadb,

Since you have the Acrobat Pro DC 30-day trial, please try opening that to edit your PDFs (rather than opening them in Reader, and clicking the Edit PDF button).

If you search your computer, you should have both an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and and Adobe Acrobat Pro application. They can coexist, but it does make things a little confusing.

If you want to evaluate  Acrobat Pro DC, it's best that you open it directly. That way, you can get the real "lay of the land" with Acrobat before making any purchase decisions.

Best,

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have been opening them in dc not in reader here are some screenshots due to business confidentiality reasons i am unable to show my entire screen

adobe.pngedit pdf.png

no matter what i do re install adobe re download a new pdf its all the same error

error.png

no matter what i do re install adobe re download a new PDF its all the same i end up with this error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen with all the files or with some of them? Do these files have anything in common like creator application, some unique fonts etc?

There are multiple reasons for this error to occur but it occurs only in the rarest of scenarios, most of it related to the fact that the PDF is not created properly.

In order to investigate further, we would need the PDF. I understand that most of your PDFs contains confidential content, but if possible, could you upload some sample PDFs to Acrobat Editing Issues so that we can have a look at it.

Regards,

Acrobat Editing Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i honestly am not sure what is wrong i noticed it is with some pdf's regarding a certain brand that we carry i have sent you one of our pdf's that i have trouble editing via  acrobat editing issues

thank you bilal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have still not heard response from anyone or anything regarding my pdf issue is there anyone who can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi imad,

We looked into the file that you sent and concluded that the file has not been properly created. This can also be seen using Preflight (Ctrl+Shift+X). Select "Report PDF syntax issues" under "PDF analysis" and click "Analyze".

We have noted down the issue and will try to fix it, if possible. No guarantees.

Unfortunately, till then, there isn't much that we can do here. We recommend you to recreate the PDF using some other creator.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much bilal I was not the one who created the pdf's these where sent to me however I will inform the person who sent them to me with your awnser I also was wondering because I haven't been fully able to use your trial for 30 days is it possible I can get some days reinstated please and thank you I still want to see what else this software can do before I make a purchase so far I was scared to use it but now I feel like you guys are always here to help me and you awnser my questions fairly quick I greatly appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it possible I can get some days reinstated please

That's not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh that's fine I guess ill just try out the remaining days thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi imadb52420762‌‌,

We have a workaround for this problem. Hopefully it will work in your scenario.

Print the PDF using "Adobe PDF". Edit this newly created PDF instead of the original one.

Steps:

1. Go to File -> Print. (Ctrl + P)

2. Select "Adobe PDF" as the printer.

3. Click Print. Save to any desired location when prompted.

4. Open the new PDF.

5. Edit.

Let me know if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so this work-around solution does indeed work.

However, why would this be necessary if Acrobat DC created my "offending" file in the first place from a web page? Acrobat DC creates non-standard PDF files, but printing them does not?

This does not exactly inspire confidence in the product.

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry‌,

Could you send in the following information to check what went wrong:

1. Snapshot of the document properties. (Open the PDF -> Press Ctrl+D).

2. The website link from where the file has been created.

3. Exact steps followed to create the PDF.

Also, if you could send the file as well, it would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just upgraded to Acrobat Pro but still can not use the edit PDF button.  How do I get the program to recognize that I have upgraded?

Thanks

[personal information removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you download and install Acrobat? If so, make sure you open the file in it and not in Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am having the same problem I cannot edit my pdf it takes me to the subscribe page but confirms i already pay £13.33. It then tells me i already have this and i end up going round in circles still not been able to edit the pdf please help I need this for work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same questions above apply to you... You must download, install and open Acrobat. It's not enough just to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your response and/or resolution is utter nonsense.  I have tried every conceivable remedy to solve the same problem.  Including and NOT limited to: opening in correct program; resaving under different file name; choosing the editing option; and finally, attempting to repair the program and reinstall.  This to is a 30 trial program and no trouble editing OTHER forms.  DOES THE TRIAL PROGRAM HAVE A LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF DOCS TO EDIT. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You haven't replied so far so we have no idea what your situation is or what the problem is... You mentioned a trial version. That is for Acrobat Pro. This discussion was about Acrobat Standard. Two very different things. So the replies above are not going to be relevant to your issue, whatever it might be.

And no, there's no limit on the number of documents you can edit using the trial version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bilal, I was having the same problem and that worked perfectly, thank you very much!

Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround worked for me, and I was having the same problem when trying to edit pdf forms that I have been able to edit in the past.  I was not opening in Reader and had set the default pdf application as Adobe Acrobat DC.  Don't know why it is so buggy, even got the 30 day Foxit trial to see if I could fix the pdf edit problem there, but while they have people you can talk to and their support is way more responsive than Adobe, it didn't work either.  I just happen to google the issue and got this thread by chance after looking on the Adobe support site for a few hours.  Adobe is not great with support, you just have to get lucky with a random google search.  IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue where I received the same error message ("adobe acrobat dc has encountered an unknown error") when attempting to edit a PDF that was sent to me.

I used the website suggested within one of the other adobe communities forum threads http://www.identifont.com/‌ and was able to identify the font as 'Folio (BT)'.  What a great site to use, good suggestion.

In my case,

1. I followed the direction (by @Bilal Ansari) of printing to Adobe PDF (printing in the highest quality rather than standard).
  2. The text became editable, though it was noted that the font wasn't available and a different font would be used... note the Format box has no font identified... Font issue.png
  3. As I was unable to I modified the text using the same font, I used a similar font (in this case Arial).

Regarding the reason for the error message, I think the reason that the error occurs is due to the font not being in my font library.  To add to this, it may also be an issue as 'Folio (BT)' is not within the Adobe Typekit font library.  Either way, I believe this is the reason for the error message... maybe something for Adobe to look into and if I am correct, change the error message to say "unable to edit, font not available" or something to that effect.

Regards

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue. I followed your instructions and it worked. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines