13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 2:57 PM by dj_paige

Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.

paul6001

I lost a bunch of photos. (I'll spare you the ugly details.) About 300 of those photos are still in my camera. These files have already been imported, edited, processed, and scattered to different folders. I just didn't erase the memory card.

I re-imported the files into Lightroom as-is, without any edits or processing. There are all jumbled together, raw, in a new folder. (And, of course, I still haven't erased the card.) Now the question: How do I match up these pictures with the previews and the data from the already-developed images?

If I have to start all over again, it won't be fun, but the world won't end. Still, the people on this forum have performed miracles. I'm asking for one more.

• 1. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
          dj_paige Level 9

First, congratulations to you on doing something smart ... not erasing the camera card!! We see a lot of people who immediately delete photos from their camera card and then wind up in trouble when they make a mistake in Lightroom and now have zero copies of their photos.

The solution does not involve importing. Assuming the first import remains in Lightroom (you didn't specifically delete these photos from Lightroom), then the files you imported the second time and are all jumbled together in a new folder can be deleted from Lightroom and from your hard disk. They are not needed.

What you want to do is use your operating system to Copy the photos from the camera card to the locations where Lightroom thinks the photos are stored. If you don't remember where the photos are stored, Lightroom can tell you (find the photo in Lightroom and right-click on it and select Show Folder in Library). Now, I know what you are going to say ... Wait, I have to do this 300 times???? Well, you can do this by folder, you can find all the photos that Lightroom thinks are in Folder A, and copy them from the camera card to Folder A. Same thing for Folder B and so on. Is this tedious? Yes. Is this time consuming? Yes. Is this going to be a royal pain? Yes. Is there another way? Not that I know of.

• 2. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
            paul6001 Level 1

First, thanks your suggestion. It may be a tedious, but it's a helluva lot better that starting from scratch.

Second, remember that of those 300 photos, about 270 have already been edited out. (A pretty high hit rate for me.) And when I say edited out, I mean "Deleted from disc," not just "removed."

Now let me try to get a better grip on the process. (I need third-grade level instructions.) 1. I hook up the card to the computer. 2. Where a file is missing, I right click on the little question mark. 3. The computer asks me if I want to find the file, and I say yes. 4. The computer show me all the places that I can look for the image. Among them will be the card. 5. When I see the image on the card, I click it. Lightroom may--emphasis on may--not only link that file up with the data on the computer, but all of the other files in the folder.

Is that anything like what your suggesting? Please correct me if I'm wrong. And please try to do so in chimp-level language.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
              dj_paige Level 9

2. Where a file is missing, I right click on the little question mark

I'm afraid I didn't say anything like this. I said, "use your operating system to Copy the photos from the camera card to the locations where Lightroom thinks the photos are stored". The only thing you might have to do in Lightroom is to determine what folder Lightroom thinks the photo is in, if you don't remember what folder you moved it to.

• 4. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                paul6001 Level 1

Stick with me, please.

I created a folder called "faded beauty," which contains shots of urban decay. Five images in this are of a rusted out GE building. They are all lost. (Of course, there are 25 images on the card, most of which I discarded.) So I connect the card, hit import, but there is no "faded beauty" on the right side into which I can copy the files. What to do?

• 5. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                  dj_paige Level 9

The solution does not involve importing. The solution does not involve clicking on question marks. The solution is not from inside Lightroom. The solution, as I said twice, is performed in your operating system.

The solution, as stated is

Step1: hook up the card to the computer

Step2: use your operating system to Copy the photos from the camera card to the locations where Lightroom thinks the photos are stored

Step3: Done!

Step4: there is no step4, there really isn't a step3 either

• 6. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                    paul6001 Level 1

I could frustrate St. Frances!

Here's the problem: "Use your operating system to Copy the photos from the camera card to the locations where Lightroom thinks the photos are stored."

I'm not sure what this means or how to do it. I have Windows 7. Can you walk me through the steps? Please remember, I don't know how to "copy" something with Windows. (Control C?)

And when you say, "locations where Lightroom thinks the photos are stored," you're talking about the places where the previews are?

• 7. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                      dj_paige Level 9

In Windows, Copy and Paste, or drag and drop.

I have not mentioned previews, and that's not what I meant, we are not talking about previews. I said "If you don't remember where the photos are stored, Lightroom can tell you (find the photo in Lightroom and right-click on it and select Show Folder in Library)." This is whatever folder you were discussing in your first post when you said "and scattered to different folders". So, go to your camera card, find the photos that you scattered to Folder A, perform a copy, go to Folder A, and perform a paste.

• 8. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                        paul6001 Level 1

I may have it. "Saint-like" is the only word that begins to capture your patience. Many thanks.

• 9. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                          paul6001 Level 1

No success. And let me throw in this final wrinkle: many of these photos look identical. The curse of the digital age: I fire off 20 shots of the same thing. (I also shoot medium format film, and mange fine with 10 shots per roll of film.) So copying is not an easy matter.

I think I'm going to re-import and re-process. I'd probably be done by now.

• 10. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                            paul6001 Level 1

A new question, if you can bear it. I don't know how I got to this point, but now I have one file that has the real photograph sitting next to a preview of the photo with all processing. How do I merge them?

• 11. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                              dj_paige Level 9

And let me throw in this final wrinkle: many of these photos look identical. The curse of the digital age: I fire off 20 shots of the same thing.

Did you rename the photos? If not, then you just need find the same name.

but now I have one file that has the real photograph sitting next to a preview of the photo with all processing. How do I merge them?

In general, you can't "merge" the photos in the sense that you mean, but you could copy the edits and other metadata from one photo to the other. I think you have to do this photo pair by photo pair, although there might be a plug-in that automates this (I don't know).

• 12. Re: Lost photo recovery from in-camera files.
                                paul6001 Level 1

"You could copy the edits and other metadata from one photo to the other."

Great. How do I do that?