9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 8:00 PM by A.T. Romano

What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?

drooling piston

So now I have a 64 minute movie edited, music in parts, menus made, ready to burn to a DVD.

I go to publish & share > choose save to disk > DVD> I want to burn it to 9 disks so set copies to 9> it is about 4 gigs so I set it to highest quality> then click burn.

2 1/2 - 3 hours later it finishes the rendering or reformatting part. now it should go directly to burning this onto the blank DVD disk but the program seem to freeze up and over an hour later the burn progress bar is still at 0% and the program is unresponsive.

In previous "test" burnings (wanted to see how some of the other transitions and effects looked) I did not have the menu set up. Is there any reason that adding menu screens would cause this to lock up?

Windows 10 tech preview

3 ghtz dual core cpu

8 gigs ram

2 500 gig HD

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Windows 10 tech preview

Oh My !!!

Have you told Microsoft that their Beta software is not working for you?

Set your Premiere Elements DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE Imgburn to burn the folder to disc for DVD... Premiere Elements 13 WILL write a DVD or BluRay to an ISO (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... Set Imgburn to use the slowest burn speed your drive and media will use... I set my burn speed to 1x and let Imgburn adjust to the actual minimum

• 2. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

drooling piston

As I recall you are working with Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

I am not sure if we have discussed this in one of your prior threads, but have you looked at the burn to problems with and without the preferences Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher disabled in Edit Menu/Preferences/General?

If all this worked prior to menus, then I would look at the problem closer with and without the menus applied.

What Movie Menu theme is involved in this particular situation?

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
              drooling piston Level 1

John T Smith,

I'm thinking its not a windows problem so I have not reported it to windows.

I previously tried to export the movie to a file on the computer then use Image burn to burn it to a DVD. I found the end result lost a lot of clarity. I didn't see an option in PE13, to save it as an ISO file so I saved it as an AV file. Then in IMGBURN it was looking for video_T folders that contained ISO and vid tub files that I didn't have. There may be a way to get it done with out loosing the HD looking clarity but I didn't spend a lot of time learning how.

I re-worked my menu and it was able to finish for me just fine.

Thanks

• 4. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
                drooling piston Level 1

Yes PE13

No, I have not looked at the burn problems you mentioned with the intel graphics 2000.

I was working with the "faux widescreen" menu theme. I had 3 menu markers and 4 more scene markers. when that put me into a second "scenes" page, I decided to fill up that screen too so I added more scene markers for a total of 12 markers (6 on each page). That is what would NOT work for me. PE13 would not save this properly for me either. When I would come back to my project and look at the menu, it would have extra special characters in the Title and chapter titles and the pictures for each of the scene selections would be different shapes (I had made them all the same shape & size previously and saved my work that way). Maybe that should have been a clue to me, if it won't save it properly its not going to be able to finalize it properly either.

Thinking it must be something with the menus or markers I deleted 6 markers and made the remaining 6 all scene markers. Now they are all scene markers and all fit on 1 page. Saved this work and set it off to burn again. This time it worked as expected and I was able to burn several copies of my movie to DVDs.

Thanks for your suggestions     Again

I'm surprised at how time consuming these projects are and how much there is to learn to make it all work!

• 5. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

drooling piston

Thanks for the replies.

Glad to learn that you obtained your burn to products. Great job.

I did some double checking of your situation, using my Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit with regard to the Faux Widescreen menu.

1. There 99 menu markers supported for a project's Timeline. So, 12 scene markers is not going to be a problem.

2. If I used the Faux Widescreen theme and had 12 scene markers on the Timeline, then I had 1 main menu page and 2 scene selection pages each scene selection page with 6 scenes.

In your case, I am not sure if the overall size of the project made further adjusts to it not possible, even to the extent of an additional scene selection page. Also, since I do not have Windows 10, I cannot be sure that there is not some odd behavior going on with regard to disc menu/Premiere Elements/Windows 10.

If you start a new project, please let us know if you were able to include Movie Menu theme with more than one scene selection page in the project.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On

A comment related to what you wrote to John. In Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows (not sure about Windows 10 because I do not have it), you should have the choices of the following for Publish+Share/Disc/DVD and the burn to:

Disc (which would cover burn to 4.7 GB or 8.5 GB discs)

ISO Image (4.7 GB)

ISO Image (8.5 GB)

Folder (4.7 GB)

Folder (8.5 GB)

Are you saying that you do not see those choices in your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 10 (assumed 64 bit)?

• 6. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
                    drooling piston Level 1

A. T. Romano,

Thanks again for all your help!

I'm not sure why the additional menu markers and scenes pages didn't work for me but I'm happy that I was able to get the project done, burned to disks and mailed out to the participants.

To address your add on,

When I went to Publish+Share I saw a symbol of a disc under which it says burn to DVD, Blu-ray and AVCHD discs.

the next line under disks is computer, I thought if I wanted to save this project to my computer I had to look in "computer" I did not see any of the choices you mentioned in there.

Trusting in your knowledge and advice, I looked through all the options and every drop down menu. I did finally find the options you listed under "Disk" then the drop down menu labeled "burn to:". I never thought of saving a file on my computer as "burning" so I just had not looked at the disk menu for the ability to create and save a file on my computer.

another mystery solved.

Maybe this should go on its own thread but since I'm here,

adding music,

I have all of my music CDs ripped onto my computer HD.

When I went to import media and select a song it gave me a genera error message.

Since I have an I-phone and I-tunes, I thought maybe I-tunes copied the music onto the computer in an Apple propitiatory file type?

I put one of the CDs i the disk drive and tried again to import 1 song directly from its disk but got the same error message.

Can this be done? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Joe

• 7. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Joe

Thanks for the update.

With regard to getting music into the project without a generic import error message, consider

1. What is the file extension of the audio - mp3 or wav - and what is its source. Is it possible that you created an audio CD which may have the music with a cda file extension?

2. iTunes music typically runs into the Premiere Elements generic import error message. The remedy is, before you import the music into Premiere Elements, convert the music to the wav version using iTunes.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

Is that applicable to your situation? If you need any assistance with the iTunes how to, please let me know. I have used that route many times.

Please consider and then we can discuss this further based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
                        drooling piston Level 1

I believe this would be applicable to my situation. But I could not do what the directions in the link you provided told me to do.

In I-tunes, I found the preferences, then the general tab, got the import pop-up screen changed that to MAV, then clicked OK.

I clicked on an album in my library, a song started playing, then I can open that album to see individual songs, I click/highlite one song.

This is where I could not do the next steps. there is NO "file" option in the top left of the window. the only thing up there looks like a domino and play control buttons. When I click on the domino looking thing I get a drop down menu but there is nothing that says "create new version".

I opened a new file explorer window, found my music> media opened up the album clicked on 1 song there> then clicked on "file". NO such options there either.

I'm stuck now.

Do I need to put the CD back in and rip each song I want to import into the computer again in the different file format?

Joe

• 9. Re: What reasons would my movie render but then freeze up during the burn to disc?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Joe

Let us compare notes on this.

I have music files in the iTunes Library (supposed to latest version of iTunes).

If I go to one of the songs there and select/highlight it, I can go to File Menu/Create New Version/Create WAV Version after preference is set.

The next two screenshot are on the left side of iTunes view

iTunes.jpg

I can do the same thing instead, by right clicking the song whose format I want to convert, and, from the drop down menu, select "Create WAV Version"

wavversion.jpg

If I switched to Albums instead of Music/Songs, I had the same options when I went to the individual song in the Album selected.

This third screenshot is on the top right of the iTunes view.

iTunes-3.jpg

Please review and then let us try to determine where the difference is between us.

Thank you.

ATR