8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 10:16 AM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works

michaelg2229927

I just installed the trial version of PE 13. I start a new project. I select a file (.mov or .mp4). It loads it fine on the timeline and I can see the "thumbnails". I click in the playback window and I see the opening frame of the video. I click on the play button and I can hear the audio just fine but the picture is frozen. I can click on the video frame and it will jump to the current spot in the timeline but still won't play. Again the audio is playing, the video is not.

I am on Windows 8.1 and meet all system requirements for the software. All my drivers are up to date. All system software is up to date. I have unplugged all external devices and monitors.

I have also tried hitting the render button and it does it's thing but does not solve this issue.

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works
          A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelg

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 13? And are you running the programs as administrator?

Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet? If not, please do so.

Please review and consider the above and then we will decide what next based on your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works
            michaelg2229927 Level 1

I updated QuickTime and PE. I do run out of an admin account.

When I first start the session, it will now do the playback.

That was the good news... Now for the bad....

I go into motion tracking (the main reason for me considering this software!)

I select my object.

I then click on play.  Same problem presents itself in that I hear audio but video isn't moving. However I can use the frame by frame clicking and the video will move... When I click on  play and then stop, the video jumps to the current position.

At different times I also get the following error on my system: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"  message. This appears to happen after I select my tracking object.

Maybe totally unrelated, when I exit PE, I look in the task manager and still see it running. If I don't kill it then when I go to restart PE it doesn't start up. It will get to the point where I say start a new project and then it disappears.

Your help is appreciated.

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works
              michaelg2229927 Level 1

Update to my display driver stopping... it also happens outside of working with motion tracking.

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works
                A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelg

Thanks for the updates.

Let us focus on the video card/graphics card for the moment.

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Go to Device Manager/Display Adapters and confirm what cards are listed and how many, 1 or 2.

Go to the web site of the manufacturer of the card(s) to determine if you have the latest driver version for the card(s).

If the driver version for the card(s) is up to date, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file. You can find it from the information given in the following link

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

Please let us know if the above had any impact on the situation. If not, move forward on another troubleshooting plan.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works
                  michaelg2229927 Level 1

I have two drivers. I updated one of the drivers which was the one it was complaining about (AMD).

Now when I start PE I get the errors shown in the link:

http://screencast.com/t/42mYlh24BNc6

After my updating the driver, I also removed the bad drivers file and got this message. Then I went ahead and reloaded PE and still get this error.

I can't run PE at all now that my driver is current.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelg

Let us do this.

Check the video cards/graphics cards driver version to make sure that both are up to date. With regard to them, can you disable one and just use the other? Please check out the primary card

a. does it have a control panel for further setting for compatibility with Premiere Elements

b. does rolling back the driver version give you any recovery

Uninstall Premiere Elements 13/13.1 the usual Control Panel way.

Do a ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - Download

Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Download and install the 13.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Please try the BadDrivers.txt file deletion again after the reinstall (if the problem persists). The rationale behind this deletion is found in post 10 of the following older thread.

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

This deletion has been a life saver for Premiere Elements 9 and later users with that display error and up to date driver version.

We will be watching for further results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works
                      michaelg2229927 Level 1

No luck. I did everything you mentioned. Since updating the driver I get the following:

http://screencast.com/t/xxdrobmDpl

Since the reload of PE, the Bad Drivers file was not created.

I am able to bring up Organizer. But when I bring up the video editor and select new/existing project then I get the above error messages and nothing else happens.

I can't/won't roll back the video driver now.. If the product won't work with my configuration then that's really too bad.

Unless you can come up with a solution, then I will abandon this effort and try to find a different product... too bad.. I liked what I was seeing.

I am using the AMD FirePro M6100 FireGL V on a Dell Precision M6800

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 13 does not playback video but audio works
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelg

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better.

I had hoped that the uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall would have had some impact on the issues. Taking the computer back to factory settings and Premiere Elements install might resolve the problem, but I do not think that you want to go that far.

You could try creating a new user account with administrative privileges and installing and trying to run Premiere Elements 13/13.1 from there. All the indicators seem to me to be pointing to the video card/graphics card situation.

But, would you consider this. Contact Adobe Chat to determine if you can get Adobe Staff support on this issue? The Adobe Chat support has been limited even for latest version 13, but you could try. If you want to try this, please click on the following link

https://helpx.adobe.com/sea/contact.html?step=PRE_downloading-installing-setting-up_downlo ading-installing_stillNeedHelp

Premiere Elements

Downloading, Installing, Setting Up

Download and Installing

Chat Panel

or

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Adobe ID, Signing In

Adobe ID, Sign In, Account Help

Chat Panel

The hope is that the representative that you reach online can help you or direct you to another group who can.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR