17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 3:50 PM by ssprengel

Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

Reality Studio LLC

Hi guys, I just bought Lightroom and I'm brand new to this software having previously used After Shot Pro mostly. Two questions for you.

1) Apparently Lightroom now has a lens profile for the Sony FE 24240 lens, but my Lightroom doesn't seem to have it even though I just bought it and double checked that it's updated to the latest software version. I checked in the file folder itself where lens profiles are stored just to be sure and it's just not there, but I'm reading how others have it and are using it just fine. I assume this means that I need a separate tool to update lens profiles, where do I get this tool from? Or do I need to manually add lens profiles for all future lenses, if so where does one download these lens profiles from? I'd prefer to stick to official Adobe profiles rather than any user submitted profiles.

2) How do you enable gpu support? I'm using Lightroom on my laptop which has an NVidia 750m gpu, and while After Shot Pro supports that gpu and runs really fast, I find Lightroom plods along very slowly. I assume that means it either does not support my gpu, or I have to manually enable gpu support myself. If it's the latter, how does one enable gpu support? I searched all around the menu's but can't find where to do this.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...
          dj_paige Level 9

2) How do you enable gpu support? I'm using Lightroom on my laptop which has an NVidia 750m gpu, and while After Shot Pro supports that gpu and runs really fast, I find Lightroom plods along very slowly. I assume that means it either does not support my gpu, or I have to manually enable gpu support myself. If it's the latter, how does one enable gpu support? I searched all around the menu's but can't find where to do this.

Lightroom 5 does not use any GPU to speed up operations. You can't enable it.

Exactly what functions in Lightroom are slow? What are your other system specs (CPU, Memory, Disk Space)? How large are these photos in megapixels (please don't tell me megabytes as this is useless information in this context)?

• 2. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Reality Studio LLC wrote:

1) Apparently Lightroom now has a lens profile for the Sony FE 24240 lens, but my Lightroom doesn't seem to have it even though I just bought it and double checked that it's updated to the latest software version.

That lens profile is only available with PS using ACR 8.8. LR6 will support it as well when released.

Lens profile support | Lightroom 5, 4, 3 | Photoshop CS6, CS5 | Camera Raw 8, 7, 6

Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSSSony E8.8
            • 3. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...
              Reality Studio LLC Level 1

dj_paige wrote:

Lightroom 5 does not use any GPU to speed up operations. You can't enable it.

Exactly what functions in Lightroom are slow? What are your other system specs (CPU, Memory, Disk Space)? How large are these photos in megapixels (please don't tell me megabytes as this is useless information in this context)?

It's a quad core Haswell Macbook Pro laptop, Windows 8.1 64bit, 1tb ssd drive with about 100gb of free space, 16gb ram, 12mp pictures from my Sony A7s. What's slow for example is when hopping between photos. Something I tend to do it scan around my photos quickly in succession one after another and on After Shot Pro I can cycle between them very rapidly as it uses the gpu, so you can see all photos and their changes instantly which is really nice. When I do this on Lightroom it takes some time before it displays the next image which kind of breaks my flow. In any case if there is no gpu support then that's that, I'll see if I can get used to the speed difference.

• 4. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

trshaner wrote:

1) Apparently Lightroom now has a lens profile for the Sony FE 24240 lens, but my Lightroom doesn't seem to have it even though I just bought it and double checked that it's updated to the latest software version.

That lens profile is only available with PS using ACR 8.8. LR6 will support it as well when released.

Lens profile support | Lightroom 5, 4, 3 | Photoshop CS6, CS5 | Camera Raw 8, 7, 6

Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 8.8

Oh I see, people were posting on other forums that they had this profile working specifically in Lightroom when I asked about it. Hmm wel that's weird. Ok I guess I'll just work with jpg's for now.

• 5. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR is always slow hopping between photos in Develop because it’s rendering an image on-the-fly rather than looking up a preview as it does in Library.

There is a way to copy the lens profile from the DNG Converter 8.8 to the user profile area that is shared between Photoshop and Lightroom and is designed to accept profiles from third-parties so it doesn't matter where the profile came from even if it is a future version of the sofware, if that’s what you were seeing posted about.

• 6. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...
                    dj_paige Level 9

Hi, could you clarify something? This "hopping between photos", are you talking about doing this in the develop module or the library module? If Library module, are the photos zoomed, or are they thumbnail size? What size previews did you tell Lightroom to create and how long do they persist? See item 3 here: Lightroom Help | Creating and using catalogs

• 7. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

ssprengel wrote:

LR is always slow hopping between photos in Develop because it’s rendering an image on-the-fly rather than looking up a preview as it does in Library.

There is a way to copy the lens profile from the DNG Converter 8.8 to the user profile area that is shared between Photoshop and Lightroom and is designed to accept profiles from third-parties so it doesn't matter where the profile came from even if it is a future version of the sofware, if that’s what you were seeing posted about.

Yeah it's possible that's what they did, I didn't really ask about the details. I don't have those other programs so I'll make do with jpg's during my tests for now, those are well corrected in camera anyways.

• 8. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

dj_paige wrote:

Hi, could you clarify something? This "hopping between photos", are you talking about doing this in the develop module or the library module? If Library module, are the photos zoomed, or are they thumbnail size? What size previews did you tell Lightroom to create and how long do they persist? See item 3 here: Lightroom Help | Creating and using catalogs

It's in the develop module where I'm playing with the photo's and it shows the current one full screen. I like to bounce around between photos there, make some changes, hop 5 pictures forward, 5 back, or cycle between 3 pictures checking things, etc. Perhaps that's odd but it's just the way I tend to work for various reasons. On After Shot Pro it's the [ and ] keys that let's you cycle forward and back between photos, and it's the arrow keys on Lightroom. The pictures are full screen in develop mode, which is what I need of course in this mode.

• 9. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

If you’re on Windows, I can tell you what to copy where to get the profile in LR; however, there are hints that LR 6 will be out, shortly.

• 10. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...
                            dj_paige Level 9

It's in the develop module where I'm playing with the photo's and it shows the current one full screen. I like to bounce around between photos there, make some changes, hop 5 pictures forward, 5 back, or cycle between 3 pictures checking things, etc. Perhaps that's odd but it's just the way I tend to work for various reasons. On After Shot Pro it's the [ and ] keys that let's you cycle forward and back between photos, and it's the arrow keys on Lightroom. The pictures are full screen in develop mode, which is what I need of course in this mode.

Lightroom has to render the photo in the develop module. It's a fact of life if you use Lightroom, but on most reasonably powerful computers, this shouldn't take more than 2-3 seconds. Is that what you are experiencing?

• 11. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

ssprengel wrote:

If you’re on Windows, I can tell you what to copy where to get the profile in LR; however, there are hints that LR 6 will be out, shortly.

From what I've read, this is the file I need for that lens profile:

SONY (Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS) - RAW.lcp

I know where to put it as well, but I searched my entire hdd and don't have that file so I'd have to download it from someplace. I assume that would be legal since it's just a lens profile. Sure figures about LR 6 coming out soon because I literally just bought LR 5

• 12. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

The profile won’t exist in your hard-drive until you install the DNG Converter 8.8:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

And then it might be hard to find with a general HD search, because if you’re on Windows, it’s under the hidden/system folder c:\ProgramData, but not too hard to find if you unhide those folders in the Explorer options or just type C:\ProgramData into the Explorer address bar and hit Enter.

• 13. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

dj_paige wrote:

Lightroom has to render the photo in the develop module. It's a fact of life if you use Lightroom, but on most reasonably powerful computers, this shouldn't take more than 2-3 seconds. Is that what you are experiencing?

Yeah it's about 2 seconds, say 1.5 seconds to display the full image, and another 0.5 seconds to apply effects, more or less. In comparison on After Shot Pro it's instantaneous, so if I skip forward 5 images as quickly as I can it will show each image immediately right after I release each keypress with all effects applied. I realize that probably doesn't matter to most people but I tend to like to see images in succession which is why I hop around a lot when I'm editing images so I can see how things progress, how the sequence looks and so on. In any case I'll play with it some more and see if I can get used to it.

• 14. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

ssprengel wrote:

The profile won’t exist in your hard-drive until you install the DNG Converter 8.8:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

And then it might be hard to find with a general HD search, because if you’re on Windows, it’s under the hidden/system folder c:\ProgramData, but not too hard to find if you unhide those folders in the Explorer options or just type C:\ProgramData into the Explorer address bar and hit Enter.

Hmm I checked that as well, and looked into the Adobe folder in c:\ProgramData, but didn't find that file in there.

• 15. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...
                                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

trshaner wrote:

In addition the "soon to be released" LR6 is rumored to support GPU acceleration. Just exactly what is accelerated we don't know yet, but hopefully that includes preview rendering in the Develop module. Adobe provides free upgrades to those who purchased the previous version within the past 30-days.

• 16. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

trshaner wrote:

trshaner wrote:

In addition the "soon to be released" LR6 is rumored to support GPU acceleration. Just exactly what is accelerated we don't know yet, but hopefully that includes preview rendering in the Develop module. Adobe provides free upgrades to those who purchased the previous version within the past 30-days.

Oh great, that's awesome news about the free upgrade! Hopefully their gpu acceleration works well in develop view as well because overall I like Lightroom, and it's camera/lens support is miles ahead of After Shot Pro so I'd like to make the switch. Have to wait and see what LR 6 offers. Thanks for the help guys.

• 17. Re: Missing lens profile and gpu support questions...

You have to download and install the DNG Converter 8.8.

On Windows, the process is then:

Copy this file:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Sony\SONY (Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS) - RAW.lcp

To here:

C:\Users\ssprenge\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded

Restart LR