• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web features that require sites to be served over HTTPS

Enthusiast ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chromium Blog: Reaching and re-engaging users on the mobile web. This post on the Chromium blog is a good introduction on the use cases for Push Notifications and the 'Add to home screen' prompt that only sites using Service Workers can access.

Because of their power, Service Workers are only available to sites served over HTTPS.

Besides the general advantages of having your site served over HTTPS, there are other reasons: the getUserMedia API will not have to request permission from the user every time the page is opened, and useful offline apps are easy to make.

(And in aid of reducing the work involved in making legacy sites suitable to be served over HTTPS, there is now a CSP directive that will upgrade all insecure items on a page: upgrade-insecure-resources.‌ It can be used as an HTTP header, or as a meta tag.)

TOPICS
Developer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox 44 will rightly mark non-HTTPS pages that contain inputs of type="password" as insecure. (ma.ttias.be, reddit.com)

http-login.png

Meanwhile, certificate authority Let's Encrypt is now trusted by all major browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert, is some of the post missing?

Just wondering what are you leading too? All this information has been known and discussed on these forums for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering what are you leading too?

I like to share updates on this subject with the BC community.

All this information has been known and discussed on these forums for a while.

I must not be reading the right forums. Could you spare a moment to link me to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to add anything in regard to this implementation by BC to give weight to that it should go into the conversation for that in the PAB forums. If you do not get access to that get Brendon to post on that if you guys feel that is one of the bigger priorities on the list BC have created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Robert,

This is one thread that has had a lot of conversation on SSL and BC: Can I install my own SSL certificate for my domain?

Thank you for posting this because I knew of the Service Workers but I did not know about Firefox. Good information to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines