4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 12:07 AM by sockeyez

Editing LR images in PS:

sockeyez

I am a very happy CC subscriber and a reasonably proficient LR user on a Win 7-64 PC.  When sending RAW images to PS for additional editing, I am unable to see the results of the PS edits in LR library.  I've looked into preferences for both LR and PS and see nothing that seems pertinent.  I've googled on the issue and reviewed hours of vids - nothing useful yet, aside from a small crush on Kost.

Any ideas on my LR issues?

Bob

• 1. Re: Editing LR images in PS:
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR Preferences, External Editing tab, Stack With Original area, Make sure that is checked.

• 2. Re: Editing LR images in PS:
            sockeyez Level 1

Shootist:  Thanks for the speedy response.  Unfortunately, that is exactly how my External Editing options are now set up.

I am wondering if LR is somehow not seeing the image in the default LRCAT file?  Does that suggest anything to you?

Bob

• 3. Re: Editing LR images in PS:
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

As to your first post. You won't see any PS edits on the RAW file. Only when you SAVE the file you have sent to PS will those edits you have done oin PS show up and they will be in the SAVED file that is stacked with the original raw file.

PS does not edit raw files. LR and ACR, along with many other raw file editors, edit raw files. Even though you can apply many edits in PS with the name of the file in the PS header area, FileName: X123456.NEF/CR2/RAF/whatever raw file extension, those edits are stored in RAM, and or the PS Scratch Disk, and only get applied and or included to the image once it is SAVED as a PSD, TIF, JPG or some other image file type. It is then Added to the LR catalog and stacked with the original raw file.

• 4. Re: Editing LR images in PS:
                sockeyez Level 1

Shootist -

Clearly stated.  Your information (PS does not edit RAW) is something I did not know but should have.   Unlike many, I came to PS after 1st using LR. So I guess I simply assumed that PS worked on RAW files.

However, after installing the new LR CC today I applied your information (saved the PS edits) but the edited image does not appear when I return to LR.  It only appears after closing out and the re-loading LR - and then as a PSD along side the original RAW file (which is the display arrangement I opted for in Preferences).  The edited file appears on the HDD so I know it was saved.

Thanks for your advice and information.

Bob