7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 5:48 AM by skald89

Book file & Dropbox: Multiple people working on same book file

skald89

I am trying to use the book file and have run into multiple issues. We have saved the book file and all relevant InDesign files on dropbox. There are two of us who work on the book file at the same time. We have the book file open together but work on different files from the book, never working on the same file at the same time.

A few of the issues we have run into are as follows:

1. The book file does not show the InDesign files the other person added, when opening on a different computer.

2. When saving the book file, from the panel, it will tell us someone else saved the file and if we want to overwrite their file.

3. When working on of the files from the book and I try to save the file (ctrl+s) I get error messages telling me the network connection was modified by another process. InDesign then has en error message it needs to shut down and start back up to recover documents. After it starts back up it can't recover document due to error(11).

Has anyone used the bookfile with a cloud service, while multiple people work on different files for the book? For example, we want one person to work on the files 1-5 and another on 6-10 for the book file at the same time.

• 1. Re: Book file & Dropbox: Multiple people working on same book file
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only one person can work on a book file at the same time.

You cannot work this way on the files.

Person A adds a file to the book

Saves

Person B adds a file to the book

Saves

Persons B version overwrites Person A file.

Consider giving 1 person the duty of updating the Book File.

Only 1 person can work on a file at the same time - consider splitting files you're working on into folders

Folder>Person A

Folder>Person B

Add files that person should be working on.

Person in charge of updating the book file will update from both folders.

The way you're working will not work.

• 2. Re: Book file & Dropbox: Multiple people working on same book file
            skald89 Level 1

Thank you for responding.

That is exactly how we are doing it most of the times, Person A will save the book and then Person B will have to overwrite the book file.

Files 1-5 and 6-10 are split into multiple folders and Person A is working on 1-5 and Person B is working on 6-10. This way no one is overwriting anyone's InDesign file and we can work utilize time better.

What you are saying is that one person should be adding the files to the book panel and saving it. Then Person A and Person B should open their files from the folders, not the book panel, and save them once done. (Person C) Whoever is in charge of the book file then saves the book file? And only the person in charge of the book file should open the book, to sync and save?

Can Person A and B work on their files while Person C syncs and saves the book?

• 3. Re: Book file & Dropbox: Multiple people working on same book file

To sync the book the files have to be opened temporarily - therefore nobody can be working on the Book file at all while others are working on documents.

Split the Book File up into 2 InDesign Books.

That way Person A controls Book A and File Folder B, as does Person B.

Once complete, then Person C can combine the files.

• 4. Re: Book file & Dropbox: Multiple people working on same book file
                skald89 Level 1

We like the two books files, its something we planned to do down the road to limit the amount of files in the book.

Our InDesign "Master" file isn't fully complete and we are working on finalizing it as we go through the content (Files 1-10) and seeing what needs to be changes and added. If we do as you suggest creating two book files, where the "Master.indd" is in both book files, when Person A makes changes to Master.indd and then saves Book A will that mess over Book B? Will Book B say that Master.indd has been saved outside of the book and lose or overwrite Master.indd when Book B is saved?

Hope that makes sense..

• 5. Re: Book file & Dropbox: Multiple people working on same book file
                  skald89 Level 1

I did what I believe you were saying needs to be done.

I quit InDesign. Person B had the book file open and was the only one with it open. I opened the individual files from the folders. Worked on them, saved, and closed the files. Person B afterwards saved the book and synchronized. When we opened the files I had worked on, they were overwritten and the work I had done was gone. Reverting back to an earlier state from a pervious saving of the book. Any idea of what we could have done wrong?

• 6. Re: Book file & Dropbox: Multiple people working on same book file

When you work on dropbox the files are uploaded to the cloud when saved.

You have to allow the files to finish syncing.

Probably best to work remotely by copying the files to another location.

Then move that to the dropbox folder. It will start syncing then you can update the book.

• 7. Re: Book file & Dropbox: Multiple people working on same book file
                      skald89 Level 1

Thank you for the help.

After it failed on the first attempt, I went to recover the previous version from dropbox and saw it was saved over. Realized then that most likely it didn't sync before saving the book. Waited for it to sync and then save and it worked.

Thank you for the help!