4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2007 6:43 AM by Newsgroup_User

jpeg optimization

P-C-Surgeonz
      I am working on a graphic image in Fireworks (Macromedia MX) and since I am using gradient colors, I have optimized it as a jpeg (80-better quality). The image itself is approx. 740 x 425 pixels and I have been working with the optimization to get the file as small as possible but still retain the clarity of the image. Is there a way to show the size of the file in Fireworks as I play with the optimization? What file size should I limit this image to for dialup/broadband? Also, as I said, this is a jpeg but when I edit my button symbols, I notice that it says they are .gifs. Do the buttons display on a webpage as a gif or jpeg, or does the entire image display as a jpeg. Another question I have is to find out if there is a way to optimize different areas of my image in different optimization levels and if so, how is this done? Sorry for so many questions. Please help. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: jpeg optimization
          Level 7
          On 18 Jan 2007 in macromedia.fireworks, P-C-Surgeonz wrote:

> Is there a way to show the size of the file in Fireworks as I play
          > with the optimization?

File>Export Preview

> What file size should I limit this image to for dialup/broadband?

Total file size (HTML, all images, all included scripts, all included
          CSS, all included other media) should not exceed 50K in order to have a
          10 second or less download on a 56K dialup.

--
          Joe Makowiec
          http://makowiec.net/
          Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php
          • 2. Re: jpeg optimization
            Level 7
            On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 00:55:18 +0300, P-C-Surgeonz
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> I am working on a graphic image in Fireworks (Macromedia MX) and since I
            > am
            > using gradient colors, I have optimized it as a jpeg (80-better
            > quality). The
            > image itself is approx. 740 x 425 pixels and I have been working with the
            > optimization to get the file as small as possible but still retain the
            > clarity
            > of the image. Is there a way to show the size of the file in Fireworks
            > as I
            > play with the optimization?

You may switch to "Preview" tab (right next to "Original" at the top of
            your image). File size will be shown at the top right area above the image.

> dialup/broadband? Also, as I said, this is a jpeg but when I edit my
            > button
            > symbols, I notice that it says they are .gifs. Do the buttons display on
            > a
            > webpage as a gif or jpeg, or does the entire image display as a jpeg.

FW shows sizes for slices separately. Maybe you have slices set to be
            exported as GIF, once you switch to them, their particular size and type
            is shown. Or maybe there's something else going on that I can't figure out
            from your explanation :-)

> Another
            > question I have is to find out if there is a way to optimize different
            > areas of
            > my image in different optimization levels and if so, how is this done?

Modify -> Selective JPEG. Here you will be able to define an area to be
            exported with JPEG compression setting different from that for the rest of
            the image.

--
            Ilya Razmanov
            http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
            • 3. Re: jpeg optimization
              Level 7
              Ilya Razmanov wrote:

>
              > You may switch to "Preview" tab (right next to "Original" at the top of
              > your image). File size will be shown at the top right area above the image.
              >

Is this a Mac vs PC thing? My 'file size' is located at the bottom left
              on my PC.

SKB
              • 4. Re: jpeg optimization
                Level 7
                On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:03:32 +0300, SKB <skb@shouldbefun.com> wrote:

> Is this a Mac vs PC thing? My 'file size' is located at the bottom left
                > on my PC.

May be "version thing" as well. The version in question was MX; I'm
                referring to FW MX, Windows. To me, file size, estimated download time and
                exported doc type text is located right under minimize/maximize/close
                buttons of the image window, and followed by "Quick export" button.

Wait, I got the problem. The location I described is valid for "Preview"
                tab, that is, for "preview only" situation. For "2-Up" tab, that is, for
                "side by side" situation, the forementioned text is, indeed, in the left
                corner, right below the image. So, I guess, we are just looking at the
                different windows :-)

--
                Ilya Razmanov
                http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters