7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2015 10:11 AM by matthewf10521883

Text will not show...?

matthewf10521883

i copied a text box from one canvas straight on to another and it will not show. i have tried all the 'text wrap' settings and brought it to the front layer and it still will not show. if i hit W to show all the lines and then drag if off the canvas it will then show. but it won't when i bring it back on again. What settings do i need to adjust?

• 1. Re: Text will not show...?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just a guess, but is your "Basic Paragraph" definition in the new document edited to have the text color as Paper?

Look at the Character and Paragraph styles applied to the text, and check the definitions in the new document - copy and paste will use new document definitions.

• 2. Re: Text will not show...?
            matthewf10521883 Level 1

sorry. my apologies for not explaining correctly. it is not copied to a whole new document. it is just copied from one page down to another. when it is on the next page it won't show.

i also tried just deleting it and creating a new text box and even text in the new one won't show.

• 3. Re: Text will not show...?

Unless you are pasting onto a lower layer, and there is something on top blocking it, I don't know offhand what could be causing this. It could be corruption in your file, you can try exporting as IDML, and see if the new file is cleared of the problem.

• 4. Re: Text will not show...?
                matthewf10521883 Level 1

I exported it as an IDML and the new file still had the same issue.

What i ended up doing was just creating a whole new document, so for this time i am fixed up but it would be nice to know the root and resolution of the problem for if it happens in the future.

• 5. Re: Text will not show...?
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

matthewf10521883 wrote:

i have tried all the 'text wrap' settings and brought it to the front layer and it still will not show. if i hit W to show all the lines and then drag if off the canvas it will then show. but it won't when i bring it back on again.

I'm convinced you have an object on the page with text wrap applied. The drag-off-and-it-shows behavior is a dead giveaway. Your description sounds like you "tried all the text wrap settings" with the text frame selected, but that's not how text wrap works. Text wrap gets applied to the frame of the object around which the text is to wrap; not the frame which contains the wrapping text. You have a frame on the page with text wrap applied.

• 6. Re: Text will not show...?

If you are willing to share the problem file via dropbox or a similar file-sharing service, and I would be glad to take a look.

Just let me know what pages you are were copying to and from.

• 7. Re: Text will not show...?
                      matthewf10521883 Level 1

i am sorry.

after the export didn't work and i had recreated my graphic in a new file and then i completely deleted the previous file because i didn't want to accidentally use it again if it was corrupted.

also regarding the 'text wrap' i tried the settings with both the text wrap and the images. but based off what you say.. that makes sense that it would have been the problem. maybe there was an image in the background that i hadn't tried it on.