18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2015 4:34 PM by trshaner

How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

Frax Canon

Hi,

I've been running a stand alone copy of LR5 on a Mac which also has Photoshop, Muse, Illustrator (etc etc etc) CC.

Installing LR CC should be easy enough, but will it upgrade the existing LR5 version, which I'd like it to do?

If it its a secondary copy, can I move across the settings files? I've got several years worth of customisations I'd like to keep...

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I have a similar question, except that I want both my standalone LR5 and the CC version (LR6) to be available on my machine.

@Frax Canon, I think the settings are centralized, and will be picked up by any new version.

• 2. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?
            Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

Hi Frax,

First of all, all those customization and settings might already be stored in your Lightroom catalog. So, you don't need to worry about upgrading them. As soon as you launch Lr 6/CC, it will ask you to update your catalog and transfer all the settings.

Now talking about the Lr 5 upgrade is concerned, if you have the standalone copy of Lr 5, you can purchase the new Lr 6 from Products. Else, if you have Cloud version of Lr 5, then simply launch CC desktop app and install Lr CC 2015 found under the New apps section.

Cheers!

~Arpit

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

Hi Per, you can install both Lr 5 & Lr CC/6, on the same machine simultaneously.

~ Arpit

• 4. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Arpit, I'm trying to do the same as Per Bernsten. I have LR 5 standalone and have just downloaded and installed LR CC via the Cloud application, but it's asking to convert my previews and catalog in the existing LR5 catalog folder.

The only option provided is to choose a different catalog - There is no option to choose a different destination folder for LR CC catalog, so that I can retain the LR 5 catalog.

• 5. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

Hi trshaner,

I now see what you are trying to say here. Let me get back to you on this.

I tried to upgrade my Lr catalog and it actually showed me the right location, per screenshotlr6.png.

Let me dig in more on this.

~ Arpit

• 6. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

Below is the procedure I used to retain my current LR 5 standalone installation and install LR CC . If you don't follow this procedure LR CC will convert your 'current version'  Previews Folder. This will require rebuilding previews for ALL image files in your current version. There is no backup copy of the original Previews created or saved by the LR CC conversion process.

1) Move the current version LR Catalog and Previews Folder to a new folder location.

2) Reconnect your current version LR to the new folder location using Menu File> Open Catalog and select the catalog file at the new folder location.

3) Go ahead and let LR CC convert your current Catalog and Previews at the original location.

4) You can delete the original version LR Catalog file, which remains at the original folder location.

• 7. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

trshaner, thanks for posting this. It appears that LR CC will overwrite the original catalog when upgrading.

Previously, new versions have upgraded a copy of the catalog, and saved it under a new name, which is the only sensible thing to do.

What I did, was to copy the catalog and previews to a new folder, double-clicked the copied catalog, which launced LR CC, and then upgrade that catalog.

• 8. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

The issue should be with the Previews folder only (see screenshot in post #6). On my Windows 7 system with LR5 standalone the 'LR 5 Catalog.lrcat' file was not over-written. A new file named 'Lightroom Catalog.lrcat' was created in the same folder and the Previews converted to LR CC compatible format. I could launch LR5, but it immediately created a "new" 'Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata' folder for rebuilding the preview files. I had this issue with my LR4 to LR5 upgrade, but not this time! "Once burned twice learned!"

• 9. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

OK, I may have been mistaken about the overwritten catalog. I have one more catalog to upgrade, will pay closer attention when I do that.

• 10. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

Just curious, why are you using more than one LR Catalog. You will need to create Folder copies for all catalogs with the Previews folder and LR catalog file so LR5 and LRCC each have their own. Just keep in mind that any editing done in LRCC will not show up in LR5 and vice-versa. It also may be difficult to drop LRCC and move your work back into LR5. If you make that decision (to drop CC) I suggest moving to LR6 standalone. Just thinking out loud about this......

• 11. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?
                              Frax Canon Level 1

@trshaner makes a good point - it makes more sense to run 2 copies (as a fall-back if you cease the subscription for example, or as a backup as I'd intended).  The upgraded catalog is probably not accessible to LR5, and running two is impractical and uses a lot of extra disk space.  Presumably standalone LR6 would be ok to use the same catalog.

The upgrade to CC worked well and kept all the original settings, and preferences - even presets which wouldn't be a big deal to move manually.

Many thanks everyone for the information.

• 12. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

I just upgraded my second catalog, and you are of course right, the original is not overwritten.

I'm not intending to continue to use LR 5, but since LR 6 is all new, I think it's best to tread carefully. It has happened to me before that a new version of a program (not LR) has had some new feature that has seriously disrupted my workflow. LR 6 seems to be working perfectly, and having the CC version suits me fine, since I'm already paying for it.

My reason for having two catalogs dates back to when I started to use LR (version 2) - I wanted to keep my artwork and commercial work separate.

I know that this is not really necessary, and I have plans about merging the catalogs. But first I have to do some serious re-organizing of my folder structures, so that the Folders panel will be uncluttered an easy to read. Using Dropbox for automatic backup is also part of this plan.

• 13. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

Per Berntsen wrote:

I just upgraded my second catalog, and you are of course right, the original is not overwritten.

I'm not intending to continue to use LR 5, but since LR 6 is all new, I think it's best to tread carefully. It has happened to me before that a ne

Most definitely keep backup copies of your LR5 catalogs. There were two major bugs in LR5 that caused the LR4 catalog conversion to lose Spot feathering and Manual Transforms to 'Constrain to Crop' on all images with those edits. I ended up using AnyFilter plugin to find and correct all of the affected image files, since the LR Filter does not have that capability.

Per Berntsen wrote:

My reason for having two catalogs dates back to when I started to use LR (version 2) - I wanted to keep my artwork and commercial work separate.

I see the logic of using separate catalogs in this case, but you can isolate the files using separate top-level folders. Just remember to only move or rename folders and files form inside LR. It's OK to move whole folder structures at the top-level from outside LR and then reconnect them at the top level from inside LR (right click 'Find missing folder'). Just don't try to "reorganize" subfolders or files from outside LR.

Per Berntsen wrote:

Using Dropbox for automatic backup is also part of this plan.

I would also keep a duplicate backup of all catalogs, images, and other media files locally on a separate external drive. I use FreeFileSync for this purpose. It works very well and is fast after the initial sync to load the drive.

• 14. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?
                                    julieworthy

I would like to merge my LR 5 collections to my LR CC collections. 

I have two separate catalogs too but I would love to see all my collections I have made in my LR CC.  Is that answered here?  I read through the Q and A and didn't see it.  I apoligize if this is not closely related and will start a new thread if I need to.  Thanks!!!

• 15. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

I assume you've been working in LR5, upgraded to LRCC, but kept both versions installed. You can do this, but it is a mistake to continue to work on the same image files in both LR5 and LRCC, since there's no way to move work between the two applications. The LRCC catalog cannot be imported into LR5 if you decide to drop LRCC. Did you import your LR5 catalog(s) into LRCC after you installed it? If so your collections should already be inside LRCC. Please explain what files you have imported into LR5 and into LRCC, and how you are working on them. The normal procedure is to import your LR5 catalog(s) into LRCC, which will then upgrade the catalog(s) so they are compatible. This carries over all of your work inside LR5 including collections into LRCC.

• 16. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?
                                        julieworthy Level 1

I sent you a thank you message.  For the first time CC just asked to import my catalog and my collections now show up.  Thank you.

• 17. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?
                                          julieworthy Level 1

I do have one more question.  If I have accidentally created more catalogs than I need is there anyway to merge them?

Thank you again trshaner

• 18. Re: How do you upgrade from stand alone LR5 to LR6/CC?

Yes, you can merge multiple catalogs into one primary catalog. There are a few potential issues so it's a good idea to be aware of them. Here's a good video using LR5, but LR CC 2015 will work the same. It's generally a good idea to use one (1) LR catalog.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evangelists-julieanne-kost/lr3-merging-individual-lightroo m-catalogs-into-a-master-catalog-/