31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 7:58 PM by ProDesignTools

LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?

Shadders999 Level 1

After successfully installing LR6, I attempted to start it without an internet connection.

It just sat there and did nothing. I had to end-task it.

How am I meant to use it when out in the field when there won't be an internet connection available?

• 1. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
          Shadders999 Level 1

Update

Starting Adobe Program Manager started an update of the Program Manager.

It's now Adobe Creative Cloud and it says I have Lightroom CC.

Just to be clear.

I do not want Creative Cloud.

I do not want Lightroom CC.

I want what I paid for. A perpetual licence. And software that works without an internet connection.

If that cannot be supplied then I would like a refund.

Thank you.

• 2. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
            Shadders999 Level 1

Have uninstalled LR6/CC and Adobe Creative Cloud.

How do I get my refund?

• 3. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
              ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can still buy a LR6 perpetual license that doesn't require an Internet connection except for the initial validation.

See this related forum thread for more information and details.

Update for Lightroom not available? Not a Creative Cloud member

• 4. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                Shadders999 Level 1

Hello,

Thank you for your help, I've now got LR 6 (not CC) installed without the Creative Cloud software in sight.

However, I still have the problem where I can't launch LR6 without an internet connection. I still need to be able to use LR 6 in areas where no connection is available.

Can you advise on what to do please?

Kind regards,

Shadders.

• 5. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                  Shadders999 Level 1

Hello,

Further developments.

After trying to start LR6 without an internet connection, I find I can't start it at all!

Even after rebooting my PC LR6 just sits there on the splash screen.

Please advise on how to get LR6 running again.

Kind regards,

Shadders.

• 6. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                    Bill Dewey Level 1

I am having a similar problem and tried the steps in the other referenced thread.  The problem is that every time I "sign in" it sets my license to CC as I also have a CC subscription.  I need to know how to simply use my Perpetual license on this machine.

• 7. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                      Shadders999 Level 1

An update, I've finally been able to get LR 6 (not CC) running again.

What I had to do was absurd, I had to go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SLCache" and remove all the files (not the folder). This in turn forced me to register LR6 again as it went back into trial mode.

To reiterate, to be of use, LR 6 must be able to work offline. Currently it does not.

I think the term I'm looking for here is Unfit for Purpose.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, tell me how to get LR6 working without an internet connection and I'll go away a happy customer.

Alternatively, tell me how to get a refund and I'll go back to using LR4.

Thank you for your time.

• 8. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                        Bill Dewey Level 1

The only time you need the internet connection is when you validate the license.  I was asked this question last night on another forum, and the way I tested this was to unplug my laptop from the internet and make sure wi-fi was turned off.  LR6 was quite happy to run this way.  Easy way to test yourself is to simply unplug from the internet and watch it work.

One caveat, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, go to the Help menu and Sign Out, as that will deactivate your license.

Again, the only time you need to be connected is when you first activate.

• 9. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?

Bill is right (thanks Bill), and needing to be online for that initial license activation is normal for recent Adobe perpetual software.

• 10. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                            V42 Level 1

Sorry, I have a similar problem. I can launch Lightroom 6 without an internet connection, albeit it takes much longer to load. Then it's totally unresponsive and hangs up on any menu or photo selection. Loads and runs fine with the connection enabled. So I'm still waiting to hear how to run this app without an internet connection

• 11. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                              kwdaves Level 1

Bill Dewey wrote:

One caveat, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, go to the Help menu and Sign Out, as that will deactivate your license.

That is the most disturbing statement I have read since upgrading. A number of times Lightroom has frozen during launch at a point where I would expect it to begin loading the catalog. Eventually I have had to close the program with the Windows Task Manager. Then the Adobe Application Manager/Creative Cloud app opens with both my user name and password blank. Does that mean that I am signed out? This happens about one in ten times that I open the program. The rest of the time either launches normally or I get a Server Busy message that does not go away until I wait a while and then click a Switch To button in the message box.

• 12. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                Shadders999 Level 1

Hello,

My thanks to all who posted.

There IS a problem with LR6 and network connections. On Win7, if you DISABLE the network connection, it will cause LR6 to hang during load and nothing will get it back. The ONLY solution I've found is to remove one of the .slc files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SLCache. This causes LR6 to want to re-register and you can sign in again.

If you REMOVE THE NETWORK LEAD from your PC, then LR6 will load (slowly).

I've reported this as a bug, LR6 should not get into a state where it ceases to work because of a disable network connection.

I'm going to hold off requesting a refund, but I regard this poorly implemented and poorly tested sign-in procedure to be of sufficient annoyance to negate any of the improvements in LR6. I understand Adobe want to stop piracy, but once again, it's legitimate customers that have their 'application experience' ruined because of shoddy implementations.

• 13. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                  Bill Dewey Level 1

Just to be sure, so I can test again tonight as well, you are saying that when you have no network connection your instance of LR6 on Windows 7 has issues, correct?  I am running Windows 8.1 on the laptop with LR6 installed, and have had no issues, but will check that again to be sure.  I am not sure if I have a Win 7 machine available, if so I will test on that as well to see if this is consistent.  I will report back later tonight on results.

• 14. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                    Shadders999 Level 1

Hello Bill,

If I open the Network Connections window (Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Change Adaptor Settings). Right click on my network connection and select Disable then launch LR6, it will hang and not recover. Enabling the network connection and rebooting, doing a cold start will not restore functionality. The only work-around I've found is fiddling with the .slc files.

However, if I pull the network lead out of the back of the PC and start LR6 everything is peachy (eventually).

Hope that helps,

Shadders.

• 15. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                      Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

You should not need a net connection after you successfully activate with a serial #. If you're stalling on start up without a net connection, then something is wrong. Have you installed the update that was released today? I'd like to know if you're still having trouble launching when not connected.

• 16. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                        Hannno Level 1

Hi Jeffrey,

I, too, am running a fully activated and registered version of LR6 on my Win 8.1 system with all available updates installed, and it does neither start nor function smoothly without the machine having internet access. The startup takes ages, and in between the software takes "time-out" and becomes dysfunctional, sometimes even greying out the complete screen with the status line reporting the German equivalent of "Lightroom doesn't respond". Therefore I can confirm the troubles other members of this forum have complained about. Once I open my firewall, granting internet access to my PC, LR6 works fine without interruptions, but letting my PC do as it pleases is not an option. I'll be grateful for any tip that'll allow LR6 to run properly without WAN access.

Regards

• 17. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                          BigMouse Level 1

Bill Dewey wrote:

And this is what is required of "stand alone"? Please define stand alone.

• 18. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                            Hannno Level 1

Hi Bill,

In order to work fluently and productively with LR6 I DO need my PC to have internet access (see my previous post); it is unacceptable to have the software stop functioning at whim, forcing me to take a coffee break. And I certainly don't expect functions from LR6 that require outside connection such as Help.

Regards

• 19. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?

Hanno, just to confirm, you have activated the software once initially prior to closing the firewall and/or disconnecting? I want to confirm you're licensed correctly. Can you connect to the net, launch and select Help>System Info... and copy and paste that text in a reply (but obfuscate the serial # - it's only a partial serial). Thanks.

• 20. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                kwdaves Level 1

Following this procedure fixed it  for me. Perhaps the Lightroom 6.01 update fixes it for others.

• 21. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                  Hannno Level 1

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for trying to help. Here goes:

• 22. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?

Hi Hanno, doesn't look like the details came through.

• 23. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?

Yup. That's my document for the procedure for licensing a trial to convert it to Lightroom 6. If Hanno isn't serialized correctly, that's the doc to use.

• 24. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                        Hannno Level 1

OK, I'll try again, this time attaching the info as a .txt file.

Thanks again for helping.

Hanno

Am 05.05.2015 um 18:32 schrieb Jeffrey Tranberry:

>

LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?

created by Jeffrey Tranberry

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jeffrey+Tranberry> in /Photoshop

Lightroom/ - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/7514275#7514275>

• 25. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                          Pete.Green Adobe Employee

Hi Hanno,

Looks like it didn't come through there either. I think if you're responding via e-mail application, the attachment won't attach.

You'll need to come into the forums, then attach via browser.

Alternatively, you could try pasting the text once in the browser as well.

Regards

• 26. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                            Hannno Level 1

You are right, I did use e-Mail, now I'll paste

Lightroom version: 6.0.1 [ 1018573 ]
                                                            License: Perpetual
                                                            Operating system: Windows 8.1 Business Edition
                                                            Version: 6.3 [9600]
                                                            Application architecture: x64
                                                            System architecture: x64
                                                            Logical processor count: 8
                                                            Processor speed: 3,5 GHz
                                                            Built-in memory: 32711,9 MB
                                                            Real memory available to Lightroom: 32711,9 MB
                                                            Real memory used by Lightroom: 606,9 MB (1,8%)
                                                            Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 581,8 MB
                                                            Memory cache size: 104,9 MB
                                                            Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
                                                            Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
                                                            System DPI setting: 96 DPI
                                                            Desktop composition enabled: Yes
                                                            Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 2560x1440, 3) 1920x1200
                                                            Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
                                                            GeForce GTX 670/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
                                                            Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                                                            Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 347.52
                                                            Renderer: GeForce GTX 670/PCIe/SSE2
                                                            LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
                                                            Library Path: C:\Users\HM\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
                                                            Settings Folder: C:\Users\HM\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
                                                            1) Behance
                                                            2) Canon Print Studio Pro
                                                            3) Canon Tether Plugin
                                                            4) Facebook
                                                            5) Flickr
                                                            6) HDR Efex Pro 2
                                                            7) Leica Tether Plugin
                                                            8) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Updated Toolkit: Adobe Camera Raw 9.0 for Lightroom 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Book Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Develop Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Import Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Library Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Map Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Monitor Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Print Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Slideshow Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: Web Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgNetClient 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgWFBridge 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.Headlights 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.LibraryToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.MultiMonitorToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.archiving_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.bridgetalk 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.catalogconverters 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.cef_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.coretech_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.curculio 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.discburning 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.email 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.export 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ftpclient 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.help 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.iac 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.imageanalysis 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.layout_module_shared 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.pdf_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sdk 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sec 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.socket 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.store_provider 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.substrate 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ui 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.video_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.xml 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.wichitafoundation 6.0 (build 1014445)
                                                            Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
                                                            Device : 1189
                                                            Subsystem : 28401462
                                                            Revision : a1
                                                            Video Memory : 1985
                                                            Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414
                                                            Device : 8c
                                                            Subsystem : 0
                                                            Revision : 0
                                                            Video Memory : 0
                                                            AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
                                                            AudioDeviceName: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio)
                                                            AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
                                                            AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100
                                                            Build: Uninitialized
                                                            Direct2DEnabled: false
                                                            GPUDevice: not available
                                                            OGLEnabled: true

Thanks for helping.

• 27. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                              Julie Kmoch Adobe Employee

To update this thread, we've identified in Lr 6/CC that causes us to keep trying to connect to the internet when you are actually offline. Two scenarios we've seen are customers who:

- have a firewall that's blocking our access, or

- are connected to a LAN (local network) that is not connected to the internet.

We are working on a fix. If you are in this situation, the workaround I'd suggest in the meantime is to either allow internet access or remove that computer from your LAN. Our apologies. It's not our intent that you should always have to be connected.

• 28. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As one who is trying to provide reliable assistance as a volunteer, it would really be nice to know how Lightroom 6 is "supposed" to work. I use Lightroom via the creative cloud license, and have had no issues with Lightroom CC. But I keep reading about all the problems users (primarily Lightroom 6 users) are encountering. And I have no idea how Lightroom 6 is really supposed to work. And it's threads like this that are making me hesitant to even try to help anymore. I know, it really doesn't matter whether I try to provide help or not. I can stop helping, and it won't have any impact whatsoever. But this whole rollout of Lightroom CC/6 seems to have been a disaster. Surely there must be an easier way to separate the two licensing methods and not make it so confusing.

• 29. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                                  LeeEKJr Level 1

Apparently LR6 perpetual license also requires a Internet Connection and is probably the reason why you get 'Server Busy' errors.  I'm thinking about reverting back to LR5 5.7.  LR6 is junk and is not different than LR5.7 that I can see just a few tweaks and a lot of bugs.

• 30. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?
                                                                    victore81173671 Level 1

Now that it is June 2016 can someone tell me the status of this issue.

I am considering the purchase of the latest stand alone version of Lightroom.

I want nothing to do with the cloud. I live in a rural area and aside from an extremely expensive (more than $300 per month) broadband connection through a cell phone tower my only internet connection is dial up with an average speed of 9K.

If I have to go through any of the experiences discussed in this thread I will cease being an Adobe customer after using their products after being a loyal customer for 23 years. Not all of us have affordable unlimited access to the internet, yet we still rely on using our computers for making income and for recreation.

I can live with using the internet to register or activate a product that will operate efficiently and effective on my computer without requiring that it be connected to the internet for it to work well.

So can someone from Adobe let me know if you have resolved these issues regarding the need for an internet connection in order to make your "standalone" products like Lightroom work properly when not connected to the internet.

• 31. Re: LR6 Requires an Internet Connection?

Hi Victor,

All Adobe software requires the Internet for initial product activation. The CC applications attempt to revalidate your subscription online every month. But it is a common myth that you need to be connected to the Internet for the products to work or run.

For Lightroom, you can either get the CC version or the older standalone 6 version (with fewer features). The paragraph above is true in either case.

If you are concerned about needing to do an initial download, then you can get the CC installers on disc/DVD instead.

For any product updates after initial installation, that service is only offered via online download (either for standalone software or subscription). However, installing Lightroom updates is always optional in any case.

Hope that helps!

1 person found this helpful