2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2007 4:06 AM by

RemoteObject and arrayCollections

I was working a little bit in flex and I came across an interesting question. I have a remoteobject that has a method called getAlbums. I have an optional argument of getAlbums, called authors. In the result handler I set whatever the result is to fullAlbumList ( an arrayCollection). I would like to be able to show all of the albums in one datagrid and only the albums of a given author in the other datagrid. The problem is I would call the same method for both of these and I would only set the full AlbumList arraycollection. Any ideas? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: RemoteObject and arrayCollections
          peterent Level 2
          So you have 1 dataset you want to show in two different places, just showing a subset of the data. Is that correct?

[Bindable] var fullList:ArrayCollection;
          [Bindable] var authorList:ArrayCollection;

Have your result handler do this:
          fullList = new ArrayCollection( event.result ); // or whatever you have
          authorList = new ArrayCollection( event.result ); // ditto

Now you have 2 ArrayCollections using the same data source. If you look at fullList.source and authorList.source you will see that they are the same.

Now add a filter to authorList to select the authors you want:

var currentAuthor:String; // set this to the author you want to see
          function authorFilter( item:Object ) : Boolean
          {
          return item.author == currentAuthor;
          }

// Now set the filter into the collection:
          authorList.filter = authorFilter; // set the function itself

// Finally, tell the collection to refresh itself. You'll need to do this every time currentAuthor changes.
          authorList.refresh();

The Collections are just views of the data. You can have many views of the same data. You can one view have a filter and the other a Sort.
          • 2. Re: RemoteObject and arrayCollections
            Thank you that answers my question.