McAfee has typically been a problem for Premiere Elements (all versions).
Please disable McAfee to confirm that the crashes disappear when it is disabled.
Then, you will need to check with McAfee to determine if there are settings for the software which will allow it to be compatible with the use of Premiere Elements.
Thanks for the suggestion. Since I posted the problem, I have solved it, but I'm not sure which step did it. I did try disabling McAfee, both real-time scanning and the firewall, but that had no effect. Then I tried coming up in safe mode, which also made no difference. I started wondering if McAfee was the culprit, after all, because then I recalled that I had added three pieces of software after installing the new McAfee. One was a free video screen grabber, and the other two were free video conversion programs. Unfortunately, I uninstalled all of them before I retried PE 13. When I did, I found things were back to normal. So my guess is that one or more of them were to blame.
Thanks again for your input.
Thanks for the update with the great news that the problem is resolved. Great job in sorting through the potential causes of the issue.
Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.
If the problem should re-surface (hope not), please let us know, and we will discuss this further.