11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2017 12:25 PM by akuaba

People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery

Mywayout Level 1

I think I'm finally ready to make the switch to lightroom from WLPG for photos management. I've used LR for a long time to do the edits but people tags are huge and kept all of my photo management in WLPG. I have 100k organized photos and they are all people tagged in WLPG. I just started the LR6 trial and noticed it doesn't honor existing WLPG people tags. Is there a way to import them / avoid redoing people tags for 100k pictures? Which, simply won't happen.

Side question - people tags and coordinates export with jpg outputs from LR6 (assuming I don't intentionally turn them off at export), correct?

• 1. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
          tfau

Hi,I am Having the same problem and would really like an answer to it.

I have tried going via Picasa with no luck,

• 2. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I don't have Windows Live Photo Gallery, but I do have Windows Photo Gallery 2012, the most recent version, which is a successor to WLPG. 

Unfortunately, Photo Gallery does not write its face tagging to files in industry-standard format.  Both Adobe and Microsoft are part of the Metadata Working Group (whose formation was initiated by Microsoft), and their Guidelines for Handling Image Metadata defines the format for storing face-tagging information.   LR and Picasa follow that standard, but Photo Gallery does not. 

If you're technically minded, you could write a script using the free Exiftool that transforms the Microsoft format into MWG format.  But unless your familiar with the standards and a solid scripter, this would probably take you more than a few hours to implement.

• 3. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
              Mywayout Level 1

Thanks. I sadly know they are in the wrong format but I'm not able to build the script. I am on Photo Gallery 2012. If anyone ends up building a script, please share!

Its too bad. I would have loved to switch to Lightroom but its just way too many faces to re-tag.

• 4. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
                tfau Level 1

Thank you for your respons.I have installed both WLPG, Picasa and LR. So far WLPG has been my prefered product for library management of and facetagging photos and are now in the prosess of going til LR. I have so far not managed to se the facetags fra WLPG in LR. But, I have noticed that Picasa acctually do understand facetags from WLPG including the marking on the picture, But I am not sure it is allways the case.

I have also seen other saying that Picasa and LR follows the standard, but that WLPG does not. To test this I marked a picture (JPG) with facetag i Picasa, l closed Picasa and opened it in Geosetter (who I use to geotagg my pictures) just to verify that the facetag was detected by this product and that the tag acctually was written to the JPG file. And it did. WLPG did by the way not.Then I imported the picture in LR, But LR did not see the facetagg.

I am a bit confused when you say that Picasa and LR do follow the same standard.

• 5. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
                  I am a bit confused when you say that Picasa and LR do follow the same standard.

They both follow the standard described in Metadata Working Group Guidelines for Handling Image Metadata, each program producing named rectangular regions that the other can read.  However, LR uses keywords as well as named regions for representing tagged faces, whereas Picasa just uses named regions.  That's why when you import a Picasa-tagged pic into LR, you can see the named region in Loupe view, but you won't see the corresponding keyword tag applied to the photo. The standard has nothing to say about this difference in behavior.

See this thread for more details about LR and Picasa: Re: Face image region data written according to XMP-mwg-rs, but NOT read by LR. Best to continue any discussion about Picasa there.

• 6. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
                    I have noticed that Picasa acctually do understand facetags from WLPG

That must be because Picasa recognizes the proprietary Photo Gallery metadata.  You can easily see precisely what each program writes in the metadata of a pic by using the free Exiftool.

• 7. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
                      tfau Level 1

You are saying: "That's why when you import a Picasa-tagged pic into LR, you can see the named region in Loupe view".

The problem is that I had problems seeing the named region in Loupe view like I do with pictures that I have facetagged in LR. I now think that I have solved this problem,found a setting i Picasa "Store Name Tags in Photo" New facetags made in Picasa now is visible i LR. But all my old tags who not only are from before I activated this setting, but also generated i WLPG,but visible in Picasa, are still not visible in LR. If there had been a way to make Picasa store facetags on all my pictures in the JPG file, then that would be the way to do it, I hope. I have 15.000 pictures, many of them with facetags.
                      I would be gratefull if you can help with this.

• 8. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery

I replied to your post in this thread: Re: Face image region data written according to XMP-mwg-rs, but NOT read by LR. Please reply in that thread (via your Web browser, not email).

• 9. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
                          Mywayout Level 1

Below is the solution to get face tags from windows photo gallery to Lightroom for me. Be sure to backup your files.

*** Backup your files ***

Step 1: Mopve the people names and the rectangles for the people into a different field in the .jpg metadata

Download Exiftool

I ran the command below from the command prompt and in the folder with exiftool and the configuration file found from the link below:

exiftool.exe -config ExifTool_config_convert_regions "-regioninfo<myregion" "foldername" -m -r -overwrite_originals_in_place

"foldername" is the folder / path you want to make the change for. -m ignores minor errors, -r includes subfolders, -overwrite... means it will NOT create the otherwise default backup for each file changes (filename.jpg_original).

Copy Windows Photo Gallery face tags to Google Picasa

Step 2: Move people names to keywords for Lightroom. Do this if you're using lightroom, do not do it if you're using picassa. I haven't yet been able to check to see but I'm guessing I will have to "convert it to a person tag" in lightroom keywords since they show as descriptive tags but I have tested everything else.

Add the people names to the keywords

exiftool "-xmp:subject+<regionname" FolderName -overwrite_origional_in_place -m -r

Where FolderName is the folder / path the pictures you want to edit are in

This came from:

Migrating from WPG to Lightroom 6 - People Tags

• 10. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
                            tfau Level 1

Thanks for your reply, this has probably saved me a lot of work and helps me manage to safeguard my data on transition to lightroom. I will look into this.

For information, I found a method to ensure that the information stored in the image files of Picasa and thus made visible in the lightroom. I do this then by making changes in image files, save them and then undo this.This can be done with a few operations on all images in the same folder. There are however some operations and will take some time when I have 6,000 pictures distributed in many folders to go through.

Lightroom stock Keywords for each person with a connection to the pictures. The keyword is created but the link is missing. There are some disadvantages with this, maybe your method can contribute to this. This I find out.

Thanks also to johnrellis.

• 11. Re: People tags in Lightroom 6 and Windows Live Photo Gallery
                              akuaba

This is frustrating... please help. I used Windows Photo Gallery to sort out 5000+ scanned slides. Each has been annotated and face tagged as well as other things. I then switched to LR because geotagging is better though I still prefer the former due to ease of workflow. I now see that most face tags are not recognised. Some have boxes over the faces with a '?' in them. One or 2 are perfect and others simply have nothing. I also note that the names appear as keywords. Reading through this I conclude I will have to either use an old copy of Picasa as an intermediary or use Exiftool which I dread (never used a command line prompt thing...).

I also tried tagging in LR but these did not appear in Windows Photo Gallery. Neither did they appear in Geosetter though Geosetter seems fine with Windows Photo Gallery. Please help. I just wan to use one format that will last and be transferrable. Alas that is the point of all this, isn't it? What good will it do to go to these lengths when in the end it will all be redundant with whatever new software will come in future?