2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 11:33 AM by preditorj40153117

rotating knoll light factory

preditorj40153117 Level 1

I am using knoll Light factory to create a shine particle. the plug-in does not seem to have a rotation value. I had thought of just moving the anchor point of the layer and rotating that but the comps edges would show.

Should i be using a different plug-in or can this happen in knoll?

knoll rotate.png

• 1. Re: rotating knoll light factory
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Screenshots like that are completely useless. We need to see the entire composition with the properties of the layer in question revealed. Here's what you do, Select the source file in question or the composition in the Project Panel so we can see the properties of the footage in question or the properties of the composition. Select the layer in question and press the U key twice to reveal all properties on that layer that have been modified. Make sure that the Effects Control Panel is open and visible as well as the Project panel. Take a full screen screenshot then drag it into the Reply field on this forum and explain exactly what you are trying to do.

To answer your question Light factory has an Angle for the lens that will change the way some of the elements look but real lens flairs won't rotate unless you rotate the camera and Light Factory is based on real world lens flair physics. If you want to rotate the layer with the light flair then you need to add lens flair to a black solid that is big enough to rotate without showing the edges. For Example 1920 X 1090 has a diagonal that is 2203 (remember Pythagoras) so if your comp is HD a 2400 X 2400 black solid is big enough to cover the frame size. Add Light Factory to a solid that size, position the light source location at the center of the layer and rotate away. Now set the Rendering Mode to Unmult and if your lens flair does not extend beyond the edges of your solid you can composite and animate position in the frame with no problems. You might want to experiment with blend modes to fine tune the look....

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 9.22.39 PM.png

• 2. Re: rotating knoll light factory
            preditorj40153117 Level 1

That worked out well. Thanks.

I used a 3000x3000 comp and got the desired spin i was looking for. I was trying to use the Knoll flare like a quasar to wipe a tittle on. I have not ever tried to do it with knoll but i wanted to this time. I don't like having an effect that i have not used and knoll was one of them. I think i may have used it 3x in 4 years.