9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 2:54 AM by Willi Adelberger

F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"

karienvdw Level 1

Please help! I am typesetting stuff orginated in Latex and Word, and have massive problems with ligatures and alternate characters not displaying and giving me the pink crossed box. When packaging the file, I get missing font errors which do not show up in preflight or when finding document fonts. These fonts are called: F16, F17, F18, F43, F2. Is this the problem? How do I solve this?

• 1. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What kind of fonts are these fonts?

Can you exchange these fonts by existing OTF or those from Typekit?

What does find FOnt tell about these fonts?

When you set up your Paragraph Styles, did you use these fonts?

• 2. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"
            karienvdw Level 1

It gives a ??? under kind.

No, as they only show up when packaging.

Thye do not appear in Find Font, only in packaging preflight dialog.

No. These come from documents originated in Latex and Word.

• 3. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"

You have to know what kind of file these fonts are. What extensions do they have?

Fonts can be hidden in bullets' and automatic number's style and in placed graphic. As long as you don't know where it is used, you can't solve the problem.

These font names are not common font names on Mac or Windows, maybe they come from some kind of Unix. But you have to use compatible fonts.

What is happening if you export a PDF/X from your document? If it is created try to find the use of these fonts in Acrobat Pro.

• 4. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"
                karienvdw Level 1

Thank you for your attempt to help, but it is not helpful. I am an experienced typesetter, know about using fonts and problems they can cause. I have never had this kind of problem before. I strongly suspect the culprit is LaTex – the programme used by mathematicians – and used by my client to originate content. If you know anything about character problems caused by content originated by mathematicicans, i would appreciate comments. fonts.jpg

The fonts have no extentions. I include a grab of the two dialogs: 1. package shows fonts missing, 2. find fonts do not.

• 5. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"
                  karienvdw Level 1

Ps. the character problems are not in mathematical formulae – they are in normal text and happens with ligatures and with character alternates like č. I get the pink rectangle with cross

• 6. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"
                    karienvdw Level 1

Have managed to solve most character problems by subsituting the font (using Avenir instead of Frutiger LT or Avenir LT). Last problem is with Vietnamese characters. They display fine in all programmes except for Indesign. Whyyy? Can anyone help? See the pasted text:

Huy Tùng Nguyễn

Hồng Quân Trần

Tuấn Huy Phạm

Thế Hoàn Nguyễn

Đăng Hưng Hồ Quốc

Thùy Dương Vương Nguyễn

and the screenshot:

avenir.jpg

Please help!

• 7. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"

Maybe that you used different fonts for the extended characters. InDesign can work with OTF, you should use them. Best would be to use a Pro Font which includes characters of that language. InDesign comes with a lot of extended fonts, like Myriad Pro or Minion Pro.

Not every font includes these characters, but if a font has these characters, InDesign is working fine:

ExtendedFonts.png

I would strongly recommend NOT to use Apple System Fonts like you did now.

• 8. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"
                        karienvdw Level 1

Thank you thank you thank you Willi, I will be eating my hat now cos duh using a pro font solved all the problems! Thanks!

• 9. Re: F16, F17, F2 etc fonts "missing"

But take care, not every Pro font supports it! If you consider to buy a font go alway to the company and check which languages are supported.