23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 2:23 PM by CN Writer

RoboHelp 6

Quadropus
      Hello All,

Just trialing RoboHelp 6 and have discovered the following issue:

After installing the RoboHelp Office software on XP in a user with local admin rights everything works fine.

When I log in with a non-priviledged user I get the following message when running RoboHelp HTML:

Unable to register itircl.dll, itss.dll, HHActiveX.dll, RelatedTopicControl.ocx, CloseWindow.ocx, Contents.ocx, HHCTRLVersion.ocx, Index.ocx, Shortcut.ocx, Splash.ocx, WinHelpTopic.ocx, KeywordSearch.ocx, ImageChoice.ocx, HelpDesk.ocx, SeeAlso.ocx. If you experience any adverse behaviour, please make sure you have sufficient rights and restart the program. You may need to have an administrator run this program once to configure some components.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: RoboHelp 6
          CraigCC Level 2
          Hi Quadropus.

If my memory serves me well. You need to sign in with the same user name that installed Robohelp. This worked the same with X5. So you need to ask the IT chaps to give your username full admin rights, sign in and install as that user, then get them to take your admin rights away.

Does that make sense
          Cheers
          Craig
          • 2. RoboHelp 6
            CraigCC Level 2
            Hi Quadropus.

Just double checked this. Yes you do need to be logged in as the user who installed robohelp. Pretty sure it is detailed in the installation instructions. If not check out Peter Grainge's words of wisdom in the article 'Getting started with RoboHelp 6'.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/robohelp/articles/get_started.html
            "RoboHelp must be installed with the login of the designated user. "

Kind Regards
            Craig
            • 3. Re: RoboHelp 6
              Quadropus Level 1
              Hi Craig,

Thanks, yes I was aware of the similar issue with X5. Unfortunately our software is packaged for remote deployment so it would be much easier if we could change rights on a registry key perhaps.

Again thanks
              • 4. Re: RoboHelp 6
                Level 1
                Hello Quadropus,

"You may need to have an administrator run this program once to configure some components."

Let me rephrase this. You need to be able to register dll's and ocx's for RoboHelp to function. Unless you have modified your default groups, you will need the administrator to register them. Once they are registered, you can modify the following registry key so that it will no longer harass your end users:

HKLM\Software\Adobe\RoboHTML\6.00\MontereyFrame\RegisteredOCXs

This DWORD value needs to be changed from 0 to 1.

Thank you,

Bobby Walker
                Adobe Technical Support
                • 5. Re: RoboHelp 6
                  Level 1
                  BTW, here is an example cmd script to manually register the above mentioned ocx and dll files:

c:
                  cd\windows\system32
                  regsvr32 /s itircl.dll
                  regsvr32 /s itss.dll
                  regsvr32 /s HHActiveX.dll
                  cd\Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp 6.0\RoboHTML
                  regsvr32 /s RelatedTopicControl.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s CloseWindow.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s Contents.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s HHCTRLVersion.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s Index.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s Shortcut.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s Splash.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s WinHelpTopic.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s KeywordSearch.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s ImageChoice.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s HelpDesk.ocx
                  regsvr32 /s SeeAlso.ocx
                  • 6. Re: RoboHelp 6
                    Quadropus Level 1
                    Bobby,

Thanks, that works perfectly.

Jon Clarke
                    • 7. Re: RoboHelp 6
                      smithsks
                      I have already lost four hours of productive time because of this problem. My computer as made two trips to MIS with no result.

At my previous company I switched to MadCap Flare. This is just one reason why. It is a better product.

Stan
                      • 8. Re: RoboHelp 6
                        Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
                        Depends what you want to do. Flare cannot handle one of my key requirements so I wouldn't say it is a better product. For some people though, that might be true.

It's like saying a Ferrari is better than a pick up truck. Not when you want to cart paving slabs around.

Did you post a question about this problem? There's a topic on my site about installing RH if it is not too late to help you.

• 9. Re: RoboHelp 6
                          CN Writer

Hello,

I'm encountering the following error when launching RoboHelp for Word 6 and Word 2003 on a Win7 32-bit machine.

robohelp4worderror.gif

The same error appeared when I opened RoboHelp HTML  6 (I'm in the process of converting a handful of projects to HTML), but I used the info in this post to resolve that error. Are there extra settings that I have to tweak to make this error vanish in RH for Word?

Thanks!

~Carrie

• 10. Re: RoboHelp 6
                            CN Writer Level 1

Additionally, I cannot use RoboHelp for Word.

After getting the above error and clicking OK to bypass it, the system launches both the default Word document and the RoboHelp Explorer pane. When I try to select a folder in the RoboHelp Explorer pane, or use any of the commands on it, it instantly become unresponsive  [with (Not Responding) appearing in the header].

It stays in an unresponsive state for 2-5 minutes until I get this error: "RoboHelp Explorer is unable to start Microsoft Word."

Any ideas on why this is happening? Are RoboHelp for Word 6 and Windows 7 32-bit incompatible, or is Word 2003 having an adverse effect in this situation?

We have been converting the majority of our projects to HTML, but I'd appreciate any advice to make the transition of the rest go smoothly.

Thanks!

~Carrie

• 11. Re: RoboHelp 6

RoboHelp 8 is the first version that was certified for Windows 7. RoboHelp 7 seems to work on Windows 7 32 bit but the fact that RoboHelp 6 does not is no surprise.

I think you will need to upgrade. Regrettably from RoboHelp 6 there is no upgrade price, you will need the full version.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 12. Re: RoboHelp 6
                                Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your other option (depending on your version of Win7) is to run RH6 in a WinXP virtual machine that comes with Win7.

• 13. Re: RoboHelp 6
                                  Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Jeff

I think you are a bit mistaken. It's my understanding that the virtual machine is a separate download and is not simply included in Windows 7. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I recall having to download and install the VM separately.

Indeed if what is wanted is to continue using RoboHelp 6 this is what I would recommend.

Note that an additional qualification is that your Windows 7 version be the Professional or Ultimate versions.

Click here to visit the XP Mode site

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 14. Re: RoboHelp 6

I thought I'd read some posts about it being included with some flavours of Win7, and some you had to download it for, but I don't use Win7 myself so I'm not really sure. I just knew it was an option.

• 15. Re: RoboHelp 6
                                      CN Writer Level 1

Thank you all for your advice!

Unfortunately, my company won't foot the bill for the new version, so they downgraded me to an XP machine.

Thanks again,

~Carrie

• 16. Re: RoboHelp 6

If it helps your argument, you are more likely to have issues with browser compatibility if your output is webhelp. To address those you will need to upgrade.

For example, webhelp from RoboHelp 6 will not work in Chrome.

@petergrainge

• 17. Re: RoboHelp 6

But neither will WebHelp in RH9 work for Chrome (it's all Chrome's fault ;>) )

• 18. Re: RoboHelp 6
                                            Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Jeff

Isn't that only if you are trying using local content? I thought it worked in Chrome if you used it from the web server?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 19. Re: RoboHelp 6

Yes Rick, the problem with Chrome is only if viewed locally.

@petergrainge

• 20. Re: RoboHelp 6

Sorry, yes that part's correct; but placing it on your local network's server is thwarted still.

• 21. Re: RoboHelp 6

By that do you mean anywhere other than a web server?

@petergrainge

• 22. Re: RoboHelp 6

Yes Peter - our company installs its app on a client's local network file server and runs the executable from each workstation; so I built an installer that puts the WebHelp files in a folder on the same server as the executable. Works great if you use IE or Firefox; Chrome's recent "security" patch clobbers the functionality (unless you tweak your chrome.exe shortcut to allow local file access).

• 23. Re: RoboHelp 6
                                                      CN Writer Level 1

I haven't given up hope of getting RH 9 yet - and am working with my manager and technology group to, at minimum, research the possibility.

While I'm stuck with RH 6, do any of you know how or why the menus in RH for Word and RH HTML mutate?

For example, in RH for Word, the program won't load the RoboHelp menu in the Word interface unless I have another unrelated Word document open prior to launching RoboHelp. Even then, I don't always get the full menu. [I'm usually missing the Set Non-Scrolling Region and 75% of the options.] While I'm using the program, the options on this menu bar fluctuate - sometimes I see 2 options, other times there are 4 different options...Is this a known issue?

I also frequently see two Adobe PDF menu options when the RoboHelp menu is MIA.

In RH HTML, my Format menu vanishes with some frequency. Right now I can access only the Apply Conditional Build Tag option.

If anyone has thoughts, sympathy, or general advice on why this is happening or what I can do to temporarily fix it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!