22 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 10:31 AM by ProDesignTools

Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)

jboschestrada

I have bought and download Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade (I own lightroom 1, 2 and 3) and during the installation in my macbook pro I obtain the following message: "We are unable to validate this serial number for Adobe Lightroom. Please contact...."

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
          Martin Rosindale Level 1

Yes, I have the same problem exactly. This is a shambles of the first order. Come on, Adobe, get a grip!

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
            JeffreyOD Adobe Employee

Hi Jose and Martin. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. Can you each send me a private message with the serial that you were issued for Lightroom 6? Also, can you tell me whether this was purchased direct from Adobe or via a third-party (like B&H, Amazon, etc.)? I can investigate on this end. Thank you!

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
              hk77443152

Same problem here for an upgrade from LR5 to LR6.

"We are unable to validate this serial number for Adobe Lightroom. Please contact....".

Come on Adobe ...

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                JeffreyOD Adobe Employee

When installing an upgrade for Lightroom, you will be prompted for two different serials during the installation process:  one will be your prior version serial number to qualify you for the upgrade, and one will be the actual Lightroom 6 serial. Can you confirm that you entered the prior version serial when prompted? Hans, for you, that would have been your Lightroom 5 serial. If you are wondering where to find your prior version serial number, you can check for it here under 'Plans and Products':  Adobe ID  (login with your Adobe ID)

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                  jboschestrada Level 1

Hi Jeffrey,

Sorry for the delay. I have purchased Lightroom directly in adobe website, and effectively I have the old Lightroom serial. In fact, I have tried to install it in a windows PC succefully, during the validation the program asked me for the old serial number and the process have worked correctly. But in the MAC the message about the impossibility of validation appears before that step.

Can you tell me how to send you the private message with the serial number? Sorry I am new to the forum

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                    hk77443152 Level 1

Thanks for you fast support.I would like to provide you more details:

Mac OS X 10.10. LR5 (standalone) already installed. Bought LR6 upgrade today from Adobe Store also as standalone version. It was a download of ~700MB.

DMG opened and installer started. Installed as "Testversion" due to the upcoming message "We are unable to validate this serial number ..." during the installation.

After that I opened LR6. In parallel "Adobe Application Manager" asked to sign in with my Adobe-ID. I have done this. Please note, I am using 1Password, so passwords etc. will be entered by "copy&paste". After AAM has logged in with my login data a window comes up with the name "Serial Number" and showing the already known message "We are unable to validate this serial number ..." on a yellow background. If I copy and paste my serial number into the fields, then the button "Next" becomes active. After clicking the button "Next" the message reappears again and again and again.

I have also tried to enter (copy&paste) my LR5 serial number with the same results.

Update: Same issue with my MacBookPro

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                      JeffreyOD Adobe Employee

Hi Hans. Can you confirm that you were prompted for your Lightroom 5 serial number during the install process for Lightroom 6? And did you enter that to qualify for the upgrade? Can you also tell me if you had access to the internet during the install process?

It might also help if you could send me a private message with the Lightroom 6 serial number that was issued to you by the Adobe Store. I can verify it on this end, which would at least help us rule out a bad serial number.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                        simonp72833246

Hi Jeffrey. I have the same issue. I have messaged you with my details.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                          Martin Rosindale Level 1

Hi Jeffrey

The sequence of events is as follows: initially I ordered and downloaded LR6 Full version by accident (I should have chosen the Upgrade but was not concentrating). Realising the error I went through the ‘Return Product’ process and asked for refund. That is still pending.

I have had every version of LR since its inception so I then ordered and downloaded the Upgrade, noting the Serial no. from my Adobe Account.

The serial number is

[serial number removed by moderator]

This morning, the 23rd, I attempted to install it but the number is rejected - Message appears

‘We are unable to verify this serial number, please contact Adobe Support’ etc etc

This sequence also occurred when I tried to install the Full version, before I realised my error.

Given that Adobe supplied the numbers this is bizarre, especially as it is clear that many other people are experiencing the same problems and it is unacceptable that a company of Adobe’s standing should subject its customers to this kind of inconvenience.

I shall be out of town for a few days but can access emails so though I shall not be able to install LR6 during that time I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Regards

Martin Rosindale

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                            hk77443152 Level 1

@JeffreyOD: My answers below:

Question: Can you confirm that you were prompted for your Lightroom 5 serial number during the install process for Lightroom 6?

Answer: I was not asked for the LR5 serial number. I was asked to enter "a" serial number (if you like I can provide to you some screenshots). In addition: the first window to enter the serial was without the "strange" message and the yellow background. After that all further windows to enter the serial number have had the message with the yellow background.

Question: And did you enter that to qualify for the upgrade?

Answer: The first serial number I have entered was the LR6 number - 100% sure. Hopefully I have not "killed" the validation process ....

Question: Can you also tell me if you had access to the internet during the install process?

Answer: Yes, 99,9%: I have running a process which checks the availability of my homepage every 10 minutes. If this fails, or the value of the round trip delay breach the target value, then I receive immediately a iMessage. Furthermore I have checked the LOG files of my router and there was no outage during this time.

It might also help if you could send me a private message with the Lightroom 6 serial number that was issued to you by the Adobe Store.

Answer: I will do that within the next minutes

I can verify it on this end, which would at least help us rule out a bad serial number.

Answer: Thanks.

To summarize:

1. I have not changed the network settings since the installation of LR5.
                            2. With LR5 everything was fine: a) installation of LR5, b) entering the serial, c) LR5 (or one of its sup-programms) checked the serial and confirmed that everything is fine.
                            3. LR5 is also running on my MacBookPro
                            4. I experienced the same behavoir on both Macs with installing LR6
                            • 11. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                              tcrphotos

I have exactly the same problem as hk77443152  and I did the things exactly like him.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                adams55375714

Same problem..... waiting on Chat reply for an hour now

Upgrading from LR5

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                  will2b3

My experience is slightly different, if you fancy a challenge. On installing, the status bar, for the installation, gets to 99% and crashes. Funnily enough the Lr Icon sits quite happily in Applications and by clicking that I can run the Uninstall that does a fine job of uninstalling. . .

• 14. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                    shivendras8158522 Level 1

Please check your hosts file entries once as sometimes due to no connection to the serialization server adobe doesn't verify the activtion.

See the steps here-

Sign in, activation, or connection errors | CS5.5 and later, Acrobat DC

Or

1. Reset the hosts file:

Note: You may have to disable you security software to modify your hosts file.

Windows

1. Choose Start > Run, type %systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc, and then press Enter.
                                      2. Right-click the hosts file and select Open. Select Notepad for the application to open the hosts file.
                                      3. Back up the hosts file: Choose File > Save As, save the file as hosts.backup, and then click OK.
                                      4. Search the hosts file for entries that reference activate.adobe.com (for example,127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com) and delete these entries.
                                      5. Save and close the file.

Mac OS

Log in as an administrator to edit the hosts file in Mac OS.
                                      1. In a Finder window, choose Go > Go To Folder.
                                      2. Type /etc.
                                      3. Select the hosts file and open it.
                                      4. Back up the hosts file: Choose File > Save As, save the file as hosts.backup, and then click OK.
                                      5. Search the hosts file for entries that reference activate.adobe.com (for example,127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com) and delete these entries.
                                      6. Save and close the file.
                                    • 15. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                      timd17482027

Hi Guys, I have had this exact same problem....The only thing that none of you mentioned,  was the absolute  battle with Adobe who tried by every means possible to force you to buy the entire Creative Cloude suite instead of just the upgrade !

I too had exactly the same problem with the prompting and serial numbers... I too have had LR since LR2 and paid in full, upfront  all along....

I too waited over an hour on the chat line then just gave up when I got no response.... I would have thought on a different time zone, the 24/7 helpline was less busy!

These Adobe people are suupoosed to be the professionals in software, and professionals should make their products user friendly....

Ah...I forgot.... It was very simple to do the paying, and I never had a glitch while they took my money.....

Funny, but I haven't heard of any gripes from people who purchased the full CC suite.... Just saying..

Yes. I am mad about this nightmare to try and get a simple program downloaded and installed,  and ADOBE should be held accountable for making it so really difficult to purchase just the LR6 Upgrade...

I even tried phoning ADOBE in Johannesburg - South Africa where I live.....Good luck with that!!     They go through so many dry-cleaning processes that you cannot talk to any human being who can help you..I too gave up on that!

I still haven't managed to get this software installed..Even though I have paid and received a serial number proving that they have the money...

Does anyone know how we can get this downloaded and installed or is it time to walk away and use another product?

www.timdrimanphotography.co.za

• 16. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                        will2b3 Level 1

Adobe defeated me, I've abandoned and gone for a refund, I suppose that will prove to be entertaining. One thing for sure this company doesn't seem to value its customers.

• 17. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                          hk77443152 Level 1

I got it!

I just downloaded the DMG file (installer) again and "ta-ta" everything works now. The verification was successful: First I entered the LR6 serial number. The installer asked then for the serial number of LR5. After I have entered the requested serial number for LR5 everything was fine. Now I am "playing" a little bit with LR6. It seem LR6 is much faster than LR5. Wow.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                            timd17482027 Level 1

I saw what hk77443152  said and although I did that all yeserday,  it never worked then....

So, in desperation,  I tried everything all over again today....

I downloaded the program...No problem, but when I tried installing it, the fun and games started again!

The first time I submitted the new serial number,  it again told me that the serial number was valid,  but there was no "quality product" to be found on my computer... Duh! But I could see the  LR6  in my downloads....

The drop down box then offered me a choice of product from LR1 through to LR 5...... But  they never provided LR 6 as one of the products....????

I then entered my LR 5 serial number and it threw me out again, telling me that I had submitted the incorrect serial number...

As a last resort, I then entered the new serial number  which was provided by Adobe when I purchased the LR 6 upgrade, in that  LR 5 product option box, and Eureka! It accepted the new serial number and installed the program....!

As a market main player in this kind of software, you would think that the Adobe engineers could create a user-friendly, simple means of downloading one of their products? But the current set up is just a mine-field of convoluted headaches!...

A cynical voice in my head keeps telling me that surely Adobe engineers are better than that, so  this convoluted minefield process can only be specifically designed to exasperate customers and bully them into purchasing the full Creative Cloud suite!

Come on Adobe, which is it?  A convoluted minefield created by engineers who should easily be able to simplify things and make friends....OR  a sinister plan to bully customers into purchasing more than they really want and boost income?

Either way, Adobe, it leaves a bad taste, and in my book, you lose friends and customers by being cynical....

We all know that Photoshop is essentially a graphics program with only about 5% of true photographicapplications,  and LightRoom is a total photographic program designed specifically for photographers....

Why would Adobe not want to re-arrange the contents of these great programs to have one purely graphics program and one purely photographic program.?

If people want to use a bit of LR and a bit of PS, then Adobe should listen to their clients and provide that as an option, but please allow people to purchase exactly what they wish and make the process user-friendly and simple to purcahse........

• 19. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                              shivendras8158522 Level 1

As I have seen the frustation of yours over the Lightroom 6.0 installations, I can surely realize that you are infuriated by the installation. Please be calm and think wisely positive as if you have bought the Lightroom 6.0 upgrade, that straightfroward should trigger in your mind that you should have the prior version of the product to verify the upgrade eligibility of the application to complete the activation. Here is help regarding the installation to be successfull-

So, the next screen( serial number upgrade ) that you are prompted to enter the serial number of the prior version of the software is for the previous version of the software which you must have had installed on your system and you might have accessed to avail the upgrade pricing of the Lightroom 6.0 and if did not have the previous version ever before and mistakely bought the upgrade product then please return the application and buy the full application to successfully install it,

To buy the product, visit at-

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_softwar e_sl_mostpopular.html

Or,

If you have had the previous version of the software but you do not have the serial number ( as you did not register and/or you did not make the cloud note regarding the serial number ), then there is only alternative can be utilized if you have the proof of purchase ( do not have the proof of purchase, ask your reseller to provide you the proof of copy ) or the order number if bought from the Adobe itself or the email you accssed to buy the product from the Adobe as there would be transaction listed under of your previous version ( Lightroom 1.0, Lighroom 2.0, Lightroom 3.0, Lightroom 4.0 LIghtroom 5.0 ), then you can find the help regarding the serial number in two ways,

1) First contact your reseller and ask them to provide the help as it was bought from them on the basis of the proof of purchase or ask them to help you with the proof of purchase if you do not have.

2) Contact Adobe support to get the help as there might be chances of getting the help within next 5-6 days once after the proof of purchase is verified from the reseller.

Or,

If you have the previous version of the software installed on your system but do not have the serial number, you can find the help with the serial number here-

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/serialize-lightroom-cc-trial-to-activate-as-lightroom -6.html

Valid proof of Purchase-

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/valid-proof-purchase.html

Please try the above if that helps and we will be glad if that helps you to the successful installation.

Thank you.

• 20. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                                timd17482027 Level 1

Good day Shivendras,

Thank you for you time taken to try and explain this..

While I was extremely frustarted and annoyed, I remained calm and thought clearly, but I would respectfully suggest that Adobe revisit the way they try to get the point accross..

In actual fact on Friday 24th April when I purchased the upgrade and attempted to download and install, I was intitially bombarded with Adobe's efforts to literally bully me into purchaisng the whole Creative Cloud suite.... It was done in a cynically negative  fashion by making the purchase of the upgrade a convoluted minefield, in the hopes that I would eventually capitulate and settle for the total package...

The procedure on Friday which failed to achieve any success was again followed on Saturday, after I had read about another frustrated customers experiences ( Please see the comments from  hk77443152 above..) By this time it had become apparent that Adobe wanted the proof that the customer had already paid for the LR 5 and needed proof thereof..

However, the point which I tried to make was that with all the very clever engineers whom Adobe emply, they failed to explain what was required  in simple, unambiguous  terms ......ie:

1) IF you have been using LR 5 you need to prove ( By providing the serial number for that version ) that you are indeed a valid oner of that software.

2) Once you have proved that you should provide the serial number of the upgrade for which you have just paid...

3) 2) IF you would like to purchase LR 6 for the first time, then the procedure should be....x,y,z etc

Simple as that..... Instead, customers who have paid their money keep hitting this convoluted , unclear minefield of gobbledy-****...  Can you blame people for either thinking that the engineers were not up to speed ( I didn't buy that because they have to be brilliant brains to design and build such software ) or that there was some other sinister reasoning for making a simple task so complicated......  Just saying...

I am glad you brought up the question of trying to contact the Adobe help desk.... I tried and sat for over an hour while I kept getting little messages telling me that Adobe was busy... So, because I live in South Africa, I tried phoning the Adobe people in South Africa... I found it inexplicable that they don't even have their own switchboard but use a third-party secretarial service and I must add that the lady to whom I spoke was abrupt, to say the least... I also gave up trying to speak to a human voice which is why I actually wrote to the CEO of Adobe - Shantanu Narayen himself and will await his response in due course.....

If I had been the only person with these problems, I would not be ranting in this fashion and would accept that I am technically challenged...However I am not the only person to have encountered such problems...

I believe that Adobe have created some amazing software but as much as it may be amazing, if it not simple to purchase , install and use then it is simply a waste of effort...

My rant has been perfectly calm and constructive in the hopes that the Adobe engineers and management will take note that if they want to boost their sales and have happy customers, they should simplify the points I mentioned and make their software user- friendly and allow the target market to freely pick and choose which ever product suits their needs..

Thank you.... Yes I have managed to download and install...

• 21. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                                  mizzified Level 1

same here, woke up to work on some images. will not validate. fixed my host file... still nothing.

what a lame update. thanks

i've wasted an hour today already lookin for adobe help... can't even find that.

great job adobe.

Bet my check cashed right away though, didn't it.

• 22. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade does not install in mac (does not validate the serial)
                                                    ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hi Mizzified, sorry you're having trouble with that.

First off, if you're upgrading, then make sure you are entering two serial numbers in the order requested – both the new one for Lightroom 6, as well as the previous one for your older version.  Both keys are required to activate the upgrade license.

Next, these instructions might also help you to convert the software over from Lightroom CC to LR6:

Adobe Lightroom Help | Serialize Lightroom CC trial to activate as Lightroom 6

If you still get the same error message regarding your serial number, then try the steps given here, which usually clear up this sort of issue:

Sign in, activation, or connection errors

This page may also help:

Error unable to validate serial number

If those solutions don't work, then you may need to contact Adobe directly about it as we are a user-to-user forum here and don't have much power to help further:

Contact Customer Care

via live online chat is usually fastest/easiest ("Still need help? Contact us").  Be sure to have your purchase information handy.

Hope that helps!