4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 9:13 AM by gonzalu

Lightroom 5.7 Not Showing Camera Profiles from DNG File

gonzalu Level 1

Hello,

I just installed Adobe DNG Converter 9.0 and converted some Nikon D7200 fles to DNG for import into Lightroom 5.7. This works fine except for the Camera Specific profiles not showing up. Only Adobe Standard shows up.

When I open the same DNG file in Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop CS6, [it] properly shows all the camera specific profiles for the D7200. What am I doing wrong?

Here is what the develop module Camera Profile drop down menu looks like in LR 5.7

LR57.jpg

And in Photoshop CS6 Adobe Camera RAW ( ACR ) 8.7.1.311

PSCS6ACR.jpg

Thanks for your insight.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.7 Not Showing Camera Profiles from DNG File
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

gonzalu,  the reason is because the profiles are installed separately for Camera Raw vs Lightroom. 

If you're using Lr 5.x, then to get the extra D7200 profiles visible in Lr, you'll need to manually copy/install them.  Try looking here:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Nikon D7200

and copy the contents of that folder to here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

(where you should substitute your actual username, above).

Then restart Lr and the profiles should be visible now.

(You don't need to do this step if you're running Lr CC, because the new profiles are included with that installation.)

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.7 Not Showing Camera Profiles from DNG File
            gonzalu Level 1

OK let's give it a shot. I find it odd that somehow Photoshop/Camera RAW was smart enough to get these profiles either automagically from Adobe or from the DNG but LR was not that smart?

So I copied the D7200 folder from/to as you suggested and ... they show up! Voila!

Thank you very much for that... cheers!

Manny

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5.7 Not Showing Camera Profiles from DNG File
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi Manny,

Glad the manual-copy step worked. 

In case you're curious, normally profiles can be transferred/obtained via DNG files, but only if they are embedded inside the DNG itself.  During DNG conversion (using DNG Converter), only a single profile is embedded, and this is normally Adobe Standard.  So the other profiles in question here (Camera Standard, etc.) are not embedded within the DNG.  This is why they are not available when opening that DNG in Lr 5.x.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5.7 Not Showing Camera Profiles from DNG File
                gonzalu Level 1

Thank you... however, why was Photoshop CS6/ACR 8.x smarter than LR 5.x ? I mean I did NOTHING to prompt ACR/PSCS6 to get those profiles

In any case, this is just out of curiosity, I am glad it is working.

Cheers!